Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Catt

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How that chap hasn't been barred from bringing these stupid cases on the basis of being a vexatious litigant, God only knows. He's not a 'peace campaigner', he's a self-promoting arsehat.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Remember him? Yep, he's still breathing and doing what he does best.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pean-court-over-secret-police-files?CMP=fb_gu

IMHO John Catt has earned the right to protest about anything he damn well pleases - up to and including protesting against the Albion's planning applications. If his interests hadn't just happened to intersect with the Albion's, he'd have been rightly feted as a local hero.

'I volunteered to fight in the second world war at the age of 17 and joined the Royal Air Force. The country was confronted with a dictatorship, which, if unchallenged, would have resulted in a Nazi occupation. For me, this would have represented the complete loss of our hard-won rights and freedoms, intolerance towards any one with independent and dissenting views, data gathering and the carting off to concentration camps of ethnic minorities and political activists.

To a large degree my experiences in the second world war have informed my political opinions, and having seen at first-hand the devastation that war causes, I became compelled to protest my opposition to military conflict around the world and also my support for racial equality. I saw the futility of war where innocent civilians, as well as military personnel, lost their lives on a large scale. I also witnessed the unjustified destruction of people's lives and property.

Even during the war, my protesting did not stop. I was sentenced to 28 days' confinement to barracks (CB) for protesting against the shocking conditions within a sick bay under fighter command – a sick bay for the treatment of RAF personnel. I received a further 28 days' CB while serving in a unit in France when I protested about the black market, which affected food rationing in my unit.

Due to my political activities, during the McCarthy era my post was routinely opened with no intention of concealing the fact that it had been done. The domestic extremist database that I am on gives me a chilling reminder of that period.

I am fortunate to be able to protest at my age. This is in part thanks to my reasonable health and, of course, strong conviction. Nowhere do I see MPs taking to the streets, let alone raising the burning issues about the erosion of our civil liberties and the ever-increasing state intrusion into our lives. You do not need to be a political activist to feel this – we are all in our everyday lives being subjected to some form of arbitrary surveillance as well as data gathering.'

:bowdown:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Definitely NOT including the Albion. He moved to Withdean after we started playing there but he still tried to get us kicked out and for very specious reasons. He cost us money when we were flat broke and this wealthy man did it on Legal Aid.

I don't care what his previous fights were about, he tried to stiff the Albion and so, frankly, he can go get stuffed.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO John Catt has earned the right to protest about anything he damn well pleases - up to and including protesting against the Albion's planning applications. If his interests hadn't just happened to intersect with the Albion's, he'd have been rightly feted as a local hero.....

But the fact is he DID campaign against the Albion and so he IS an arsehat as Buzzer says. I don't give a shit about his other campaigns; when it really mattered, when it was really important he wasn't on our side.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Definitely NOT including the Albion. He moved to Withdean after we started playing there but he still tried to get us kicked out and for very specious reasons. He cost us money when we were flat broke and this wealthy man did it on Legal Aid.

I don't care what his previous fights were about, he tried to stiff the Albion and so, frankly, he can go get stuffed.

That's a bit of a long winded way of saying he's a cvnt.......even though your right

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's a bit of a long winded way of saying he's a cvnt.......even though your right

To me the REAL cvnts were/are the corporate cvnts of Amerikan Express - who would have quite happily stood by and seen the club go under, right up to the point where the planning permission for Falmer was granted. Then one of their mini-marketing-managers went all gung-ho and expected brownie points for 'convincing' his mid-ranking superiors to get on board with naming rights, and presented it like some kind of amazing marketing coup. Wankers.

To this day, won't wear a shirt with their logo plastered all over the front. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But the fact is he DID campaign against the Albion and so he IS an arsehat as Buzzer says. I don't give a shit about his other campaigns; when it really mattered, when it was really important he wasn't on our side.

He, as others have pointed out, moved to Withdean long after the Albion and used public money to fund his vendetta against the club. I had the misfortune of listening to the tw@t whilst waiting for the bus into town when we had a home game. I let him ramble on for about 5 minutes of moaning about us until I had had enough. Told him that I was an Albion fan and that no matter how much shit he kicks up, we will not go away until we're ready to. Horrible, self important, vindictive twunt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To me the REAL cvnts were/are the corporate cvnts of Amerikan Express - who would have quite happily stood by and seen the club go under, right up to the point where the planning permission for Falmer was granted. Then one of their mini-marketing-managers went all gung-ho and expected brownie points for 'convincing' his mid-ranking superiors to get on board with naming rights, and presented it like some kind of amazing marketing coup. Wankers.

To this day, won't wear a shirt with their logo plastered all over the front. That's not going to change anytime soon.

I think you'll find that it was Dick Knight who got involved with American Express by 'selling' them the idea of a Community stadium, which was why they sponsored Albion in the Community first.
We were sponsored by Skint via Norman Cook and then Brighton & Hove Jobs whilst we were at Withdean.

I agree with the others. John Catt moved into the area, knowing full well what was happening at Withdean, but then used tax payers money, despite living in a £400K+ house, to try to kick us out.

I don't care if he campaigned for good things or bad things, he tried to kill my club just as much as Archer, Bellotti and Stanley.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Strange to bear a grudge against American Express. They were under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to help out BHA while we were at Withdean, any more than any other large multinational corporation you could name. They were hardly likely to associate their brand with a tinpot football club at the arse end of the league, playing at a municipal athletics track more suited to hosting a school sports day than league football.

As it is, I think they're one of the most prestigious if not THE most prestigious sponsors outside of the PL. Apart from their shit iron-on logo, I have no problem with them whatsoever.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Strange to bear a grudge against American Express. They were under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to help out BHA while we were at Withdean, any more than any other large multinational corporation you could name. They were hardly likely to associate their brand with a tinpot football club at the arse end of the league, playing at a municipal athletics track more suited to hosting a school sports day than league football.

As it is, I think they're one of the most prestigious if not THE most prestigious sponsors outside of the PL. Apart from their shit iron-on logo, I have no problem with them whatsoever.

Spot on. THPP's post is as bizarre as it is contrived.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Then all the thousands of fans who go regularly to the Amex, but never went to Withdean (or Gillingham) - they must be c***s as well then? They too stood by as they didn't want to be associated with a tinpot club.

And whilst one can criticise individuals and organisations for not getting involved in the dark days, at least they never actively campaigned against us. So no, American Express are not c**ts - but Catt most definitely is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Strange that John Cvnt, sorry, Catt, hasn't complained about all the recent school sports days at Withdean. The idiot had a chip on his shoulder and used OUR money to fight his pathetic cause. The sooner he shuffles off this mortal coil the better.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Can't disagree with any of this, well said that man.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He was in a hospital bed opposite my brother last year - my brother is not an Albion fan, and so wasn't aware of who he was although Catt was telling anyone who'd listen about all his protests and run-ins with the police over the years.

The first time I went to visit my brother I noticed the name and put 2+2 together, the second time I made sure to go in wearing an Albion shirt, and got a very dirty look from Catt. I didn't say anything to him though, as I thought a hospital was hardly the place for such discussion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here