Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will they still be here when the window closes?

Will Dunk and Stephens stay or go?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So will we keep Dunk and Stephens? Maybe someone else will go and they'll stay?

How positIve/negative are you on this?

Poll to follow

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are doing well if only 1 player leaves for a big fee.

2 leaving would be very bad news indeed.

3 or more leaving and we are looking at a season killer situation.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think a bid of close to 10 million for Dunk will be impossible to turn down which will see him go.

Stephens I am still hopeful will sign a new deal.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Errr, if we are seriously about BULDING the team and CLIMBING the league - zero outbound sales is a must plus 1 or 2 major signings for a defender and a striker.

More importantly over these 2 is keeping Knocky!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Errr, if we are seriously about BULDING the team and CLIMBING the league - zero outbound sales is a must plus 1 or 2 major signings for a defender and a striker.

More importantly over these 2 is keeping Knocky fit and motivated!

Agreed, but have added three important words to your post! He can be brilliant but he does get the strop occasionally and goes missing!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went for Other, i.e. 'Don't Know'.
If either or both go, I suspect we'll get:
-- extremely high fees for them, with add-ons in Dunk's case
-- suitable replacements, from a ready-to-go list
-- more money re-invested in that crucial striker
So, whatever happens, I'm optimistic about how things will pan out.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Very hard to call, this one.
What sort of offer will prove impossible for the club to turn down? £10m for Dunky and £7m for Stephens? £12m and £8m?
I hope we keep both but given our current centre back situation you could see the club digging their heels in far harder on Dunk - we really can't start the season with two injured CBs and a rookie. Even with money to spend we'd be hard pushed to get someone else and bed them in properly before half a dozen games have gone by.
Stephens at least is slightly more replaceable - providing we keep Kayal ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Other - I don't know. Lots of gossip and rumours, but very little fact, to make any sort of decision.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think realistically if a number of clubs are interested in Stephens there is a fair chance he will go. With one year left on his contract, that will probably happen. I've said before that, after the success we had last year, I trust the club to hold out for the most they can get if we do sell and then to replace with quality players.

With Dunk, I'm confident will stay. I doubt anyone is going to pay the money we will want for him and, according to the Argus, despite all the questions over West Brom there has not been a bid for him recently. We will see by the end of August but there's no point in worrying about it. Why not trust the club? Judging by last season, there will be more than enough stress watching games when the season starts so why be so stressed outside the season?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Much depends on how well TB investments are doing mine have taken a huge hit since Brexit, can only imagine the big players a well down

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much depends on how well TB investments are doing mine have taken a huge hit since Brexit, can only imagine the big players a well down

Really? Mine have done very well, and I imagine TB is much more on the ball with investments than I am (Albion apart of course, that is a pretty shit investment!)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Lewis stays but Stephens goes.
Though it wouldn't amaze me if it's the other way around.
Or if both leave.
Or both stay.

FENCE.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think both might go. The fees that PL clubs seem to be offering for players this summer defy all logic and will be hard to turn down. If we get in the region of £20m for the pair it would represent IMO too good a fee to turn down. For that kind of money we could replace both with very good players and possibly increase our fund for that elusive 25 goal striker

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This situation will always arise whilst we continue to reach the play-offs but not get promoted. Ulloa went and we missed out on promotion because we didn't have a top quality goalscorer. The fee helped improve the squad but the hole left was too great to fill.

If you're Stephens, you're looking at our squad and looking at the bookies' odds then our chances of getting promoted this season are deemed to be less than 50%. Murray is a good signing but had we brought another quality forward then Stephens might be having second thoughts about leaving. As it is then, sadly, I fancy he will leave.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really? Mine have done very well, and I imagine TB is much more on the ball with investments than I am (Albion apart of course, that is a pretty shit investment!)
This.....suspect TBs portfolio is not very UK-dependent, in which case he'll be OK (my modest nest egg is significantly up post-Brexit). Also don't think marginal performance on his own dosh either way will impact what he spends on the club....

I think Stephens is likely to go, but no others. Hope he doesn't though

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is the unfortunate the effect of still being in the Championship. It might be difficult to persuade both Stephens and Kayal to stay if they are offered £25K basic by a Premier League side. This is because any player will want to play at the highest standard they can approaching their peak ages. Dunk is slightly different as he is younger and can wait another season. But he might already be ready to keep a starting place?

I do not know of they (or other players) have release clauses in their contracts, or even if this is common practice? If they are persuaded the only thing we can do is get replacement(s).

I wonder how much success plays a part or winning regularly and being automatic first team choices? Or how much the promotion bonuses could persuade them to persevere for one last season (or more if we go up). Or bonuses to get in the play-offs.

At their peak ages, they would, want regular football as well. They might enjoy their football more winning games, unless that really want to play backs against the wall with a lower Premier League club at the big venues.

No way did I resent Ulloa going. He was 29 and its was his last chance to play in the Premier League with a better than average club. It would have been unfair to stand in his way.

Unless the EPL clubs pay £10 million or more, they are not buying a regular first team player. I picked the £25K basic wages and some Premier League clubs have 40% relegation clauses. If they are only willing to pay only £16K a week with appearance bonuses they are not buying a first team player either.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How many central defender and central midfielder vacancies are there currently in Premier League 25 man squads ? ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How many central defender and central midfielder vacancies are there currently in Premier League 25 man squads ? ???

Unfortunately, WBA need a central defender to replace MacAulay (too old) and Chester is unsettled. Burnley want to replace Barton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here