Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do people think are the real reasons why we play friendlies?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I've seen some pretty hysterical comments in the past few days about us losing friendlies and how this is a catastrophic omen for the season ahead.

I always thought that friendlies were played SOLELY to get the players ready for the season ahead and that the results of these games were completely irrelevant. It's all about fitness, conditioning and team shape.

Are we victims of the ludicrous hype that surrounds The Premier League, where pre-season trophies seem to be given the same weight as the FA or League Cups? I guess the proof of the pudding will be seen in a few weeks, but didn't we have a pretty up and down pre-season last year? That didn't turn out too badly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's all about fitness, conditioning and team shape.

this is all its about.

Results don't matter but no one wants to lose and seeing as we are playing teams whose fitness , conditioning is likely to be the same or worse then you'd hope a decent team shape = a win.

Overall it cant be read into but still prefer goals and wins.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I've seen some pretty hysterical comments in the past few days about us losing friendlies and how this is a catastrophic omen for the season ahead.

I always thought that friendlies were played SOLELY to get the players ready for the season ahead and that the results of these games were completely irrelevant. It's all about fitness, conditioning and team shape.

Are we victims of the ludicrous hype that surrounds The Premier League, where pre-season trophies seem to be given the same weight as the FA or League Cups? I guess the proof of the pudding will be seen in a few weeks, but didn't we have a pretty up and down pre-season last year? That didn't turn out too badly.

yep. Last seasons friendlies - mixed bag.
Lost to Aberdeen and Southampton. Scraped a 2-1 win at Gillingham. Dull 0-0 v non league Lewes. Impressive victory over Sevilla. Routine win over Crawley. Hard to tell that much.

preseason.jpg

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Although friendly results really don't matter and anyone working themselves up over them is clearly a bedwetter, it's not just about fitness. It's about getting new players integrated in a side, getting them used to what may perhaps be a different style of play to that of which they are accustomed to and building partnerships among the squad for the season ahead. Make a start on all of that in meaningless friendlies and you will be a few steps ahead of trying to do it during the actual season.

But seeing as we have signed just one new player for the first team, none of that really applies to us currently

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It's about getting new players integrated in a side, getting them used to what may perhaps be a different style of play to that of which they are accustomed to and building partnerships among the squad for the season ahead. Make a start on all of that in meaningless friendlies and you will be a few steps ahead of trying to do it during the actual season.

But seeing as we have signed just one new player for the first team, none of that really applies to us currently

We've signed 2 new players for the first team. Sidwell and Murray who've featured in all the games and will feature over the season. Its a long long slog. We were never going to do as much business this season as last year.
So not sure what you mean.
Also last season we'd made 4 signings out of 9 at this stage. Still had 5 to come. And that turned out alright. As with most clubs in the Champ who've likewise barely completed their business.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
No professional football player ever wants to lose a game. Otherwise they'd never have had the drive to become good enough to make it as a professional in the first place.

However, managers are going to pick strange teams and systems, lots of changes before and during the games, the players are not at their peak fitness, they want to avoid injury, and the players are basically told not to tackle much to avoid injuring others.

So of course you're going to get weird results that would not occur if the game was competitive.

As long as the manager comes out of pre season knowing a bit more about his players, their pecking order and their strengths, and the players themselves have gained in fitness level and in understanding of the managers' game plans, then that's the main priority. If the results have also been good, then all the better for some momentum.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
We've signed 2 new players for the first team. Sidwell and Murray who've featured in all the games and will feature over the season. Its a long long slog. We were never going to do as much business this season as last year.
So not sure what you mean.
Also last season we'd made 4 signings out of 9 at this stage. Still had 5 to come. And that turned out alright. As with most clubs in the Champ who've likewise barely completed their business.

This time last season the spine of the team was sorted. Stockdale - Dunk, Greer - Stephens, Kayal - Baldock, Hemed. They had all of pre-season to work together, build relationships and get to know each others game. The only player who played through that spine who wasn't here before the players returned to pre-season was Hunemeier and I doubt he would have been chucked in had it not been for the Dunk and Fulham business.

Compare that to the season before, when three of our first choice central midfielders in Holla, Gardner and Teixeira arrived after the first league game, as did our front line striker in Baldock. They were all learning the way Hyypia wanted them to play and each others games when points were on the line. Now look at this season. Plenty of talk about a new centre back given that Dunk is our only fit and available senior defender in that position, Murray is in but plenty of talk about a big name striker and if one of/or Stephens and Kayal go then you'll need another midfielder to replace them. By the time the season kicks off we could be looking at nearly half of the spine of the team being made up of new signings who have had no pre-season to get accustomed to their team mates and what Hughton wants from them.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This time last season the spine of the team was sorted. Stockdale - Dunk, Greer - Stephens, Kayal - Baldock, Hemed. They had all of pre-season to work together, build relationships and get to know each others game. The only player who played through that spine who wasn't here before the players returned to pre-season was Hunemeier and I doubt he would have been chucked in had it not been for the Dunk and Fulham business.

Compare that to the season before, when three of our first choice central midfielders in Holla, Gardner and Teixeira arrived after the first league game, as did our front line striker in Baldock. They were all learning the way Hyypia wanted them to play and each others games when points were on the line. Now look at this season. Plenty of talk about a new centre back given that Dunk is our only fit and available senior defender in that position, Murray is in but plenty of talk about a big name striker and if one of/or Stephens and Kayal go then you'll need another midfielder to replace them. By the time the season kicks off we could be looking at nearly half of the spine of the team being made up of new signings who have had no pre-season to get accustomed to their team mates and what Hughton wants from them.

Doesn't matter.

Just give the ball to Knocky

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I couldn't care less if we lost to Saltdean United. It's about match fitness.

Unless you're playing for a contract I'd imagine it's pretty hard to gee up the players for them too.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I thought hysterical reactions to results be they friendlies or competitive matches were an essential part of football forums. Stimulates debate and ridicule :rant:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I couldn't care less if we lost to Saltdean United. It's about match fitness.

Unless you're playing for a contract I'd imagine it's pretty hard to gee up the players for them too.

Nobody is going to go in for a tackle which could result in a yellow card.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Given that it's all so meaningless, it's a shame they charge good money to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So the fans can get match fit as well.

Trepidation about the trains this year. That's when the fans need to be fit.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Given that it's all so meaningless, it's a shame they charge good money to get in.

Its all about choice though isn't it. Besides we haven't had a home friendly yet so cannot dictate the price an away club charge.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Its all about choice though isn't it. Besides we haven't had a home friendly yet so cannot dictate the price an away club charge.

The one we are having is 15 quid to get in......[emoji35]

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
IMO £15 isn't a massive amount, cheaper than the Chelsea game, wasn't that £25, and that was a very enjoyable game.

I think the attendance will prove that lots of people don't share your view. Each to their own though, I've put my 15 quid towards a Derby ticket [emoji106]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here