• They are both exactly the same

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It feels as though across the Albion fanbase, (King) Kayal is regarded as the better of our two influential central midfielders, yet it feels as though the broader footballing world rates Stephens higher. I base this on him being in one of the team of the seasons last year (I can't remember which) and the fact that there seems to be at least a couple of clubs trying to whisk him away to the Premier League.

Which one do you think is the better player?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It feels as though across the Albion fanbase, (King) Kayal is regarded as the better of our two influential central midfielders, yet it feels as though the broader footballing world rates Stephens higher. I base this on him being in one of the team of the seasons last year (I can't remember which) and the fact that there seems to be at least a couple of clubs trying to whisk him away to the Premier League.

I'm not sure they can be compared as they seem to fulfil different roles. Kayal is a ball winner who raises the tempo of a game whereas Stephens links play beautifully and makes himself available to receive the ball from the defence.It is the combination that is so effective which makes me wonder whether Stephens (if he moves to Burnley) will miss playing alongside Kayal. It is a central midfield partnership that I thoroughly enjoyed watching last season. Please stay Dale !!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Both good players Stephens can score which makes him the winner for me. Towell can also score from midfield so he might have to step up if Stephens goes and plays for that ginger melt Dyche.

theboybilly

I consider both to be great players but since he's been here I think Stephens has improved so much from the player that was Charlton's PotY before we got him. The Charlton fans I've spoken miss him greatly. Kayal is our engine room in many respects but I think whether the side is playing well or not is decided by the performance of Stephens. I would hate to lose either and the choice between the two. for me anyway, is very, very close.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I prefer Kayal but they are both equally important, and go together perfectly.

I fear that, if one leaves, the other may not hit the heights of last season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
IMO Stephens is the better player technically, but Kayal brings more to the team with his work rate, leadership, stamina and aggression.

Kayal is better technically in my opinion by some way.

I love Stephens, however I do feel he would be slightly easier to replace than Kayal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is a bit like Batman v Superman isn't it. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Kayal is the more important player though IMO. He's more consistent than Stephens, never less than a 7/10, he's the heartbeat of the team whereas Stephens can at times go missing, he actually had a pretty poor spell mid-season I thought. They're such a great CM combination though, losing either of them would be a massive blow.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The sum of their parts makes for a better combination than their individual contributions. It will be very difficult to replace what they bring as a midfield duo IMO.

They are very different players and would both be sorely missed, can't decide who is the better player though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stephens. He's better at kicking the opposition, which is an aspect of football that I particularly enjoy.

:)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The sum of their parts makes for a better combination than their individual contributions. It will be very difficult to replace what they bring as a midfield duo IMO.

They are very different players and would both be sorely missed, can't decide who is the better player though.

At last, one of your posts that I almost completely agree with. The almost is that, for me, Kayal is the more influential player and, on that basis, I'd have to say he's better, but it's fine margins, and it's their combination that needs highlighting.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Stephens is the engine, Kayal is the gears. Neither operate anything like as effectively without the other.

In my experience, it's true the professionals rate Stephens higher. I've spoken to about 10 or so current and ex-players who followed the Albion last season, and almost all said without hesitation 'Dale Stephens' as their Player of the Season. They all also said Bruno was brilliant. They appreciated Kayal, but Stephens was their man.

I guess it's the difference between what they see as professionals, and what we see as fans.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Stephens is the engine, Kayal is the gears. Neither operate anything like as effectively without the other.

In my experience, it's true the professionals rate Stephens higher. I've spoken to about 10 or so current and ex-players who followed the Albion last season, and almost all said without hesitation 'Dale Stephens' as their Player of the Season. They all also said Bruno was brilliant. They appreciated Kayal, but Stephens was their man.

I guess it's the difference between what they see as professionals, and what we see as fans.

This. Two different players that compliment each other.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I consider both to be great players but since he's been here I think Stephens has improved so much from the player that was Charlton's PotY before we got him. The Charlton fans I've spoken miss him greatly. Kayal is our engine room in many respects but I think whether the side is playing well or not is decided by the performance of Stephens. I would hate to lose either and the choice between the two. for me anyway, is very, very close.

This

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here