Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Cook's Big Beach Cafe

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Anyone else been before?

I went today for the first time with Mrs Seagull and our two children and I have to say I was impressed.

Ok, it's not a Michelin star restaurant or anything but the food was freshly cooked, quality was very good and the prices were surprisingly low. The staff were all friendly and well organised as well.

I thought I recognised the manager there and was talking to him briefly, sure enough he's a regular in 1901 with Norman and we had a brief chat about Glenn Murray's return etc.

At a time when many food places in Brighton & Hove are either serving poor food or charging ridiculous prices for average food, it was nice to see a thriving business serve great food at very reasonable prices. The fact that it belongs to the legend that is Norman Cook, for some reason, made me feel even better!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Anyone else been before?

I went today for the first time with Mrs Seagull and our two children and I have to say I was impressed.

Ok, it's not a Michelin star restaurant or anything but the food was freshly cooked, quality was very good and the prices were surprisingly low. The staff were all friendly and well organised as well.

I thought I recognised the manager there and was talking to him briefly, sure enough he's a regular in 1901 with Norman and we had a brief chat about Glenn Murray's return etc.

At a time when many food places in Brighton & Hove are either serving poor food or charging ridiculous prices for average food, it was nice to see a thriving business serve great food at very reasonable prices. The fact that it belongs to the legend that is Norman Cook, for some reason, made me feel even better!

Where on the beach is it? How big would you say it is and is it a kinda daytime lunch place to late night bar with obviously good music?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
What style of food is on offer? It's got to be a step up from the vegan restaurant that Heather Mills had.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Anyone else been before?

Thanks Norman but most people usually pay for an advert

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
It's not on the beach, no, but I think his gigs in Brighton were called 'Big Beach' something or other? So I guess that's where the name comes from?

It's next to Hove lagoon and it was absolutely jam packed today. There is a paddling pool there, a skate park, play area and obviously the lagoon so its position is very good.

The food was everything from freshly made pies to burgers, goujons, sandwiches etc. I had the BBQ Chicken which was freshly made outside and served with couscous and coleslaw and it was very very good.

I think they have the occasional evening meal down there on certain days

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's not on the beach, no, but I think his gigs in Brighton were called 'Big Beach' something or other? So I guess that's where the name comes from?

It's next to Hove lagoon and it was absolutely jam packed today. There is a paddling pool there, a skate park, play area and obviously the lagoon so its position is very good.

The food was everything from freshly made pies to burgers, goujons, sandwiches etc. I had the BBQ Chicken which was freshly made outside and served with couscous and coleslaw and it was very very good.

I think they have the occasional evening meal down there on certain days

We go a fair bit with psycho daughter and Mrs Psycho it's ok, the ques can be horrendous it's far better now than that gold digger owned it. Norman Cook also paid for the new pirate ship after the storm damaged the previous climbing frame and the council could not afford to repair it straight away. The wife was waxing lyrical about how nice that was, and the cynical part of me now knows why....... New play thing, happy punters....

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Went a couple of years ago and it was pretty awful. The opposite of your experience in every way with poor food and service. TripAdvisor suggests this is still the case.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Went a couple of years ago and it was pretty awful. The opposite of your experience in every way with poor food and service. TripAdvisor suggests this is still the case.

Really? I can only go on what we experienced yesterday but I am surprised it's rated that badly.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Couldn't agree more, that place was shocking! Actually, I was worried that today would have been a let down as much as that was but I needn't have worried. Everything that was wrong about heather Mills' place has been corrected with it now.

Had a rather nasty tasting soya milk coffee once. Never again- although its obviously doing well in the town centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here