Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pet Sounds - BBC4 21:00 hrs Tonight

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Arguably one of the greatest albums ever made in the world. This was the Beach Boys finest bit of work so this should hopefully be a very good program.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are some great tracks on the album and I know it is rated as one of the all time greats but quite a few tracks leave me a bit Meh. I prefer their surfing stuff personally and my favourite Beach Boys album by a margin is Holland :shrug:

I'll give it a look though because I like the Beach Boys

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rod Stewart being incredibly fey in the lead up Sounds of the 70s programme. Great song though

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice to see, Brian Wilson was so far ahead of his time.....I would recommend seeing the film Love and Mercy as an add on.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I read somewhere that at that in 1966, The Beatles realised that The Beach Boys had overtaken them, and that this pushed The Beatles on to come up with Sgt Pepper in 1967. Pet Sounds, 1966. A great album in a great year for music.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Must catch up with this one. Incidentally, now up on iPlayer is The People's History of Pop: 1966-76, presented by Danny Baker. Very watchable if you're of that vintage - and educational if you're not! Plenty of good footage of the Isle of Wight Festival, Bolan, Ziggy era Bowie et all, and a rare excerpt from the original demo of Space Oddity.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Didn't notice this so will watch on catch-up. Also noticed over the weekend that 'Love and Mercy' is on Sky Movies/Now TV. Great as 'Pet Sounds' is though, 'Surf's Up' is my favourite Beach Boys album :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Every interview and documentary I read/see about the Beach Boys confirms my prejudices about Mike Love. No doubting his talent but he was/is avaricious, narcissist and a bully.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think Pet Sounds is very over-rated. Some nice tunes on there, but half of it feels like a bit of a drag.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
They were right about 'California Girls'. The first 22 seconds (the intro) was as imaginative and brilliant as anything Brian Wilson arranged, and set the tone for Pet Sounds a year later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here