Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inland Revenue Advice

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Has anyone got any experience of the Inland Revenue or paying too much tax?

Opening up my payslip this morning I was understandably concerned to see I have paid £1500 in income tax. Last month on the same gross pay, I paid just under £400 which is the norm. My tax code has not changed and is still 1100.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? Obviously I can't speak to Payroll till Monday, but could it be an error there end? Surely if I have underpaid the tax man, my tax code would have been adjusted?

I've never had pay issues before, but with a mortgage and bills to pay surely they can't take lump sums back like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Have you had the same gross pay and tax code since 6 April 2016 or have you only just started with this employer.

To work it out take your total gross pay for April, May, June and July, take off £3,666 and multiply the answer by 20%, this should be the total tax paid for those 4 months

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In the old days you could pop into your local tax office, now you can go digital. "It's what the public want".

Be interested to learn how you get on.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
In the old days you could pop into your local tax office, now you can go digital. "It's what the public want".

The worry is payroll brush me off and tell me it's an Inland Revenue issue.

Opening up my payslip this morning I was understandably concerned to see I have paid £1500 in income tax. Last month on the same gross pay, I paid just under £400 which is the norm. My tax code has not changed and is still 1100.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? Obviously I can't speak to Payroll till Monday, but could it be an error there end? Surely if I have underpaid the tax man, my tax code would have been adjusted?

I've never had pay issues before, but with a mortgage and bills to pay surely they can't take lump sums back like that?

Change your name to Starbuck ,you won't have to pay **** all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The worry is payroll brush me off and tell me it's an Inland Revenue issue.

It will only be a tax office problem IF your tax code has changed - PM me the figures if you want, I'd need your gross pay for April, May, June and July

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Have you had the same gross pay and tax code since 6 April 2016 or have you only just started with this employer.

To work it out take your total gross pay for April, May, June and July, take off £3,666 and multiply the answer by 20%, this should be the total tax paid for those 4 months
My missus is a tax consultant.
She makes your advice spot on

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

"Sorry sir not much call for anybody who actually knows anything round here". Worst decision HMRC ever made was to close the enquiry offices. Well that and joining up with Customs

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Can someone pick me up in Buckinghamshire on their way to Derby on the 06th August, and pay for my beer all day.

I'm a bit skint [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

sorry only just got your PM, have replied now

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
The same thing happened to my son recently and it turned out to be a Payroll adjustment based on the fact they'd received an updated (lower) coding notice from HMRC (but which my son had not). So I'd suggest the first thing to do would be to ask Payroll on Monday what coding they used for July. If it's 1100L then someone there has made an error and you need to ask them to remedy that and pay you the difference and issue you an amended July payslip now. But, if they used a coding of less than 1100L...but you haven't been notified of that by HMRC...then you'll need to get in touch with HMRC directly to sort it out. That's what my son did and HMRC were really helpful and remedied it asap (by issuing an amended coding notice to my son and his employer) so that all was well come the next monthly pay day, when the tax amount was adjusted so that it was "back on track" w.e.f. the preceding April tax year start date. HMRC never explained why they changed my son's 1100L code in the first place, which we could only ascribe to an oversight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here