Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two weeks

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Really hit me that it's just 14 days away from another Championship season. Kicking off at Derby!

Are you hyped up yet? Is the Albion squad ready?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The let down at how we blew it last season, followed by lack of activity to strengthen has left me actually dreading the new season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think most people agreed that this summer window was more about keeping our players than worrying too much about adding to the group. We've already signed Murray and retained Sidwell, both very strong pieces of business. All the time we keep Dunk, Goldson, Kayal and Stephens we're well set for another charge at bottling promotion!

theboybilly

I think most people agreed that this summer window was more about keeping our players than worrying too much about adding to the group. We've already signed Murray and retained Sidwell, both very strong pieces of business. All the time we keep Dunk, Goldson, Kayal and Stephens we're well set for another charge at bottling promotion!

That's exactly how I see it (apart from the 'bottling' bit - hopefully)

Dec 29, 2011
The let down at how we blew it last season, followed by lack of activity to strengthen has left me actually dreading the new season.

Dreading? We've retained the full squad which ended last season on 89 points. We've also added 4 astute signings and I'm sure there are a few more to come. Enjoy the ride, we're going to be the team to beat this year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So we've only really added one first squad player that wasn't here last season and that was a loan signing.

Totally uninspiring.

In order for that to make sense, you would need to completely forget the existing squad finished 3rd and we haven't lost anybody of note (except Calderon :cry: ).

Our squad;

Stockdale, Maenpaa, Ankergren (Walton);
Bruno, Bong, Hünemeier, Dunk, Goldson, Rosenior, (Dallison);
Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell, Ince, Towell, Holla, (Forster-Caskey);
Skalak, Knockaert, March, Murphy, LuaLua, Bjordal;
Murray, Hemed, Hambo, Elvis, Baldock

I think everyone agrees we need another defender and another striker but if we started the season with this squad I'd be very confident we'd be in the top 6 again.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In order for that to make sense, you would need to completely forget the existing squad finished 3rd and we haven't lost anybody of note (except Calderon :cry: ).

Our squad;

Stockdale, Maenpaa, Ankergren (Walton);
Bruno, Bong, Hünemeier, Dunk, Goldson, Rosenior, (Dallison);
Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell, Ince, Towell, Holla, (Forster-Caskey);
Skalak, Knockaert, March, Murphy, LuaLua, Bjordal;
Murray, Hemed, Hambo, Baldock

I think everyone agrees we need another defender and another striker but if we started the season with this squad I'd be very confident we'd be in the top 6 again.

The existing squad were woeful in the play-offs. What we have wasn't good enough.

In order to be better than that you need to find higher quality players to pick before the ones who couldn't get it done last season.

We finished 3rd last season and now you're confident we'll be top 6. That's not suggesting we've improved at all.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Dreading? We've retained the full squad which ended last season on 89 points. We've also added 4 astute signings and I'm sure there are a few more to come. Enjoy the ride, we're going to be the team to beat this year.

I must have missed something here. 4 astute signings? We have added Murray and confirmed Sidwell who was here last year. The others have been DS additions with a view to the first team. Surely you wouldn't be happy if we needed these latter signings regularly in the coming months?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When I was in the reserves I once spent a fortnight in a Roman fort. Unfortunately.

115_rd.jpg

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The existing squad were woeful in the play-offs. What we have wasn't good enough.

In order to be better than that you need to find higher quality players to pick before the ones who couldn't get it done last season.

We finished 3rd last season and now you're confident we'll be top 6. That's not suggesting we've improved at all.

What a load of rubbish. We weren't woeful in the play offs. We were ordinary at Wednesday but not helped by four injuries. At the Amex we were superb for 25 minutes and then their goal, which should not have been allowed, changed the game.

I always find it amusing how easy people think it is to sign players. It is not Championship Manager. We have until the end of August. It is not ideal but you often have to wait for quality players

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What a load of rubbish. We weren't woeful in the play offs. We were ordinary at Wednesday but not helped by four injuries. At the Amex we were superb for 25 minutes and then their goal, which should not have been allowed, changed the game.

I always find it amusing how easy people think it is to sign players. It is not Championship Manager. We have until the end of August. It is not ideal but you often have to wait for quality players

So we were good for 25 minutes out of 180. And lost comprehensively to the 6th best side.

It's not Championship Mananger, this is real life and in real life you need to spend money to improve your squad. Not add a single journeyman striker on loan.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That's such a slant on the truth. We were doing fine at Wednesday until the first goal and the injuries, I'm not sure which came first but that was an incredibly unfortunate game. The second leg, as mentioned by [MENTION=1916]Finchley Seagull[/MENTION] saw the finest football for 25 minutes ever seen by a Brighton team, that was intense. We were a little bit short up front without Hemed and Bobby Z - if either of those had been in the team we could easily have been 4/5 goals up. And that's no exaggeration. We smashed them and they were wetting themselves, to a man.

We finished 3rd in a weaker division, this season we have Newcastle and Norwich who will be very strong and probably a lot stronger than Burnley were. Last season was a smashing opportunity to go up, I'm sure everyone around the club felt the same. We missed out, but we're still a danger at this level even before we add to the squad. If you want to be negative about the coming season, you're more than welcome, but I'm not. I've rarely been more confident.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That's such a slant on the truth. We were doing fine at Wednesday until the first goal and the injuries, I'm not sure which came first but that was an incredibly unfortunate game. The second leg, as mentioned by [MENTION=1916]Finchley Seagull[/MENTION] saw the finest football for 25 minutes ever seen by a Brighton team, that was intense. We were a little bit short up front without Hemed and Bobby Z - if either of those had been in the team we could easily have been 4/5 goals up. And that's no exaggeration. We smashed them and they were wetting themselves, to a man.

We finished 3rd in a weaker division, this season we have Newcastle and Norwich who will be very strong and probably a lot stronger than Burnley were. Last season was a smashing opportunity to go up, I'm sure everyone around the club felt the same. We missed out, but we're still a danger at this level even before we add to the squad. If you want to be negative about the coming season, you're more than welcome, but I'm not. I've rarely been more confident.

So in order to match Newcastle and Norwich we need to add better quality players then.

I'm not negative, i'm logical and realistic.

Logic says if we weren't good enough last season then by adding very little to the same squad we won't be beating the top teams, we'll be dragged back into the middle of the table pack.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here