Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ARGUS - Our City's most polluted street Rottingdean High St

Jul 7, 2016
Report in today's Argus says Rottingdean High St Is the most polluted street in our city. There is horrendous traffic from Ovingdean onwards right along to Peacehaven so I guess its not that surprising.

Anyone live on that stretch of road ? And fed up with the terrible traffic and time it takes to drive

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My mum lives in a beautiful little place right on Rottingdean High Street. The traffic doesn't much bother her as the road is always busy but she has noticed a marked increased in traffic over the last five years or so.

Feels like it needs to be a one way to me, but that would mean widening an existing road to send traffic the other way or heaven forbid building another road. And I can't imagine either of those options happening in Rottingdean.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
solution is surely to reduce speed limit to 20mph and install a bus lane to make traffic flow better.

The higjt street is 20 mph already I believe. There's a bus flow coming into town, but not in the other direction, there's no room for one.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Report in today's Argus says Rottingdean High St Is the most polluted street in our city. There is horrendous traffic from Ovingdean onwards right along to Peacehaven so I guess its not that surprising.

Anyone live on that stretch of road ? And fed up with the terrible traffic and time it takes to drive

Rottingdean High Street has been busy with traffic for decades as has that part of the coast road. Hardly a story. Local rag must be desperate to fill their shite newspaper up today.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Interesting in July 2013 the Argus quoted North Street as being one of the worst in Europe and Rottingdean passed the pollution levels, whats changed. I don't think the level of through traffic in Rottingdean would have increased that much in 3 years.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10530814.One_of_the_most_polluted_streets_in_the_EU_in_Brighton/

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The higjt street is 20 mph already I believe. There's a bus flow coming into town, but not in the other direction, there's no room for one.

Sorry I thought the :moo: was implied. That is the green parties solution for congestion in Brighton. See Lewes Road for reference.

Interesting in July 2013 the Argus quoted North Street as being one of the worst in Europe and Rottingdean passed the pollution levels, whats changed. I don't think the level of through traffic in Rottingdean would have increased that much in 3 years.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10530814.One_of_the_most_polluted_streets_in_the_EU_in_Brighton/

Well Lewes Road 'improvements' were completed 3 years ago, maybe more people using Falmer Road rather than go along seafront?

Last edited:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

The Lewes Road "improvements" - if you want to get from the seafront north to then going through Rottingdean is the best way to avoid the absolute monstrosity that whoever dreamed up Lewes Road has made it

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I often get caught in the High Street and use the Steyning Road ratrun. The High Street was never built to take even 10% of the traffic it does. One delivery lorry and the whole street grinds to a halt. Unless they build a new road through the Fields at Ovingdean, it will probably only get worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Lewes Road "improvements" - if you want to get from the seafront north to then going through Rottingdean is the best way to avoid the absolute monstrosity that whoever dreamed up Lewes Road has made it

Woodingdean traffic lights, turn right and use Wilson Avenue. Or alternatively, turn right before Rottingdean and go around Ovingdean to come out on the roundabout by St Dunstans.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I can see that the Lewes Road improvement may have had in impact on Rottingdean, but what has happened to turn North Street from one of the worst in the EU and make Rottingdean High Street worse?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I can see that the Lewes Road improvement may have had in impact on Rottingdean, but what has happened to turn North Street from one of the worst in the EU and make Rottingdean High Street worse?

Reduced traffic measures allowing only buses, taxis and access to the side streets. Queues don't build up like they do in Rottingdean High Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here