Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday rush

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Long delays at Dover and getting to Heathrow a nightmare.

I know some people have no choice as to days they can get away - but surely
they must realize that today was likely to be the worst day of the year to travel. And yet
every year, it's same story.

I don't really get it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long delays at Dover and getting to Heathrow a nightmare.

I know some people have no choice as to days they can get away - but surely
they must realize that today was likely to be the worst day of the year to travel. And yet
every year, it's same story.

I don't really get it.

Dover is down to the French not employing enough boarder staff. Personally, if I were the Home Minister I'd order Dover to cease checks on outgoing people and get the queues moving.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Dover is down to the French not employing enough boarder staff. Personally, if I were the Home Minister I'd order Dover to cease checks on outgoing people and get the queues moving.

Is that possible? These are French checks by French border patrols. Surely we have no jurisdiction over them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is that possible? These are French checks by French border patrols. Surely we have no jurisdiction over them.

They are taking place on British soil though. No idea what the legal issues might be.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and have the French reciprocate with suspension of checks in to UK? not sure that would be a great idea.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are you suggesting?

A nationwide "day we're going to set off on holiday" rota covering the first couple of weeks of the school Summer holiday period, with only a limited number of slots per day?

If your name's not down you're not getting out.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What are you suggesting?

A nationwide "day we're going to set off on holiday" rota covering the first couple of weeks of the school Summer holiday period, with only a limited number of slots per day?

Maybe that's what "taking back control" means?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
What are you suggesting?

Well Bozza, when the Olympics came to London everyone was warned that the first day on the travel system in London
would be a nightmare. As it turned out, the tubes and trains were quiet as anything.

I just find it bizarre that people don't stagger their journey more rather than this "have to get away on the first
Saturday after schools break up".

I'm questioning people's thought processes here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
What are you suggesting?

No. But if you DO make your plans for that specific day, then there's no point in moaning about it, is there?

All these people sat in traffic jams, moaning on social media about the traffic jams, entirely failing to grasp the notion that they ARE the traffic jam.

OK: it seems like there are some issues with under-staffing on the border control front. But I daresay the French have one or two pressing security concerns lately, so who knows, perhaps they're a little stretched? The fact remains that if you decide to head to the Continent, in sunny weather, on the first day of the school holidays, and you don't have a carload of food, cold drinks & entertainment on board, a lot of patience, and a steady supply of old fashioned British stoicism...well that's not great planning, is it?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No. But if you DO make your plans for that specific day, then there's no point in moaning about it, is there?

All these people sat in traffic jams, moaning on social media about the traffic jams, entirely failing to grasp the notion that they ARE the traffic jam.

OK: it seems like there are some issues with under-staffing on the border control front. But I daresay the French have one or two pressing security concerns lately, so who knows, perhaps they're a little stretched? The fact remains that if you decide to head to the Continent, in sunny weather, on the first day of the school holidays, and you don't have a carload of food, cold drinks & entertainment on board, a lot of patience, and a steady supply of old fashioned British stoicism...well that's not great planning, is it?

spot on
and you could always have a staycation and spend your money in the UK

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Come to Wales, it's wonderful:)

as long as you avoid the welsh
it is a beautiful place .................................its just a shame the welsh do not appreciate it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Fair enough. I don't know who "all these people" are though, I've not seen a single moan.

In fact if it wasn't for this thread, I'd not even know there were problems for people to moan about.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. I don't know who "all these people" are though, I've not seen a single moan.

In fact if it wasn't for this thread, I'd not even know there were problems for people to moan about.

"Dover" has been trending on Twitter all morning with exactly such complaints :)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I drove to France a few years back in the summer hols. Never ever again. You just know 2 days of your journey will be sat in tailbacks to any number of French toll booths (3 mile queues to each one), under manned borders, the M25 or caravans.

It's not a holiday sat in traffic for 2 days solid.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What are you suggesting?

Term times finishing in different counties at different times would be a start.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here