Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Russia World Cup is taken away

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That's a very hypothetical 'if' given it won't be taken away !

'If' it was then a country that already has the infrastructure to host it - us, France or Germany possibly - maybe even share it across the three.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It won't be taken away- unlike the loaned computers...

If that happened it would go to any number of European countries. There are probably five who could host immediately or with a couple of years notice- more if joint bids were accepted.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Surely wouldn't be France would it.? World cup 98, Euros 2016 give someone else a go. It will stay in Russia though and will be lots of trouble.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That's a very hypothetical 'if' given it won't be taken away !

'If' it was then a country that already has the infrastructure to host it - us, France or Germany possibly - maybe even share it across the three.

Good shout - maybe a "European World Cup" hosted throughout Europe

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If Russia are stripped of it, it should go to Spain/Portugal as that bid received the next largest number of votes. If they didn't want it, then the Benelux bid should get it. If not them, then us.

I still maintain that the travesty of the 2018 award pales into insignificance when compared to 2022 Qatar, at least Russia has a football tradition and is part of their sporting culture. Regardless of corruption, there are 200m Russians and they have been criminally under represented on the world and European footballing stage.

2022 - a corrupt oil-rich Arabic state with a shocking human rights record, a promise to play it in the summer in 40 degree heat now reneged upon, a team that has never come close to qualifying for a world cup, no suitable stadiums already in place and no culture of football whatsoever, versus Australia - sports mad, relatively frequent qualifiers, many stadiums already built and a country where the game is poised to make a major impact on the sporting landscape.

Yeah that was a toughy. Absolute morons running the world game.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I desperately hope that Russia are stripped of the WC. The country needs to realise they can't get away with 1960s/70's and 80s tactics any more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If Russia are stripped of it, it should go to Spain/Portugal as that bid received the next largest number of votes. If they didn't want it, then the Benelux bid should get it. If not them, then us..

Given that the voting was rigged, why base a decision on the votes? :shrug:

I would love to see it taken away from Russia, but as countless others have said, it won't be.:annoyed:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given that the voting was rigged, why base a decision on the votes? :shrug:

I would love to see it taken away from Russia, but as countless others have said, it won't be.:annoyed:

Simple. I think you'd need to prove Russia's votes were in exchange for bungs. If there any evidence that the votes for the Iberian bid were also in exchange for bungs, then I'd agree they shouldn't get it either.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Assuming their bid was 'clean' then the Aussies ought to be in with a good shout.

Never hosted the WC, has a very good infrastructure, in a sports mad country with a proven record for hosting major sports championships including one of the better regarded Olympics and the Rugby WC. Should be an attractive destination for global footie fans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Simple. I think you'd need to prove Russia's votes were in exchange for bungs. If there any evidence that the votes for the Iberian bid were also in exchange for bungs, then I'd agree they shouldn't get it either.

Fair point. I fell into the old NSC trap of letting a complete lack of any facts fail to stop me forming a strongly held opinion :lolol::wozza:

Sadly it is unlikely that any evidence will emerge that nails this until after the event. I decided to do a quick bit of digging. It seems that all the news on his came in a flurry mid last year, with nothing since. It seems there is an ongoing FBI investigation, but this has limited scope, and, unlike the Blattter case, is unlikely to have involved money transfers in the US.

This sort of sums it all up:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/06/...russias-alleged-bribes-to-win-2018-world-cup/

The main problem, it seems, is that FIFA is primarly in charge of the information, and is the only body in any position to unearth the facts. But the organisation or at least numerous high up elements within it, is/are (allegedly) up to its elbows in the same very shit, across the piece, and is therefore about as motivated to start digging as Captain Bob Maxwell's kids are motivated into digging into the source of their late dad's wealth.

Why can't the clean and disenfranchised elements in FIFA, such as the FA (!) start demanding access to information about FIFA's dealings? Are all the world's football organisations tainted too? Nothing ever comes of anything when the only folk in a position to start the ball rolling are ostensibly inside the same tent. What a racket. What a farce. :(

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would not want it here.

Us and the USA are the most outspoken about the corruption in FIFA, till that is sorted out fully why would we want to help them get richer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here