Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electricians advice please

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Evening all,

Just need a bit of advice even though I think I know the answer.

I've recently started a new job for a lighting company, only been there a couple of months and I've been promoted to supervisor.
As I obviously need to supervise the other team members, I asked to learn all their jobs to aid me in assisting them.
One of the guys is a technician, his main task is to PAT test the goods before they go out but I've noticed that he also rewires some of the lights, changes components etc.
My understanding is that anything other than changing a plug or PAT testing requires certification to do so, is this right?
I've mentioned to my boss that unless she can provide documentation stating that I do not need to be qualified, than I won't touch the electrics as I don't want a fire (or worse) on my hands should something that I've altered, fail.
Can someone just clarify whether in-house training is sufficient or whether a training course is required? I think the latter but I want to be sure.

Cheers for any advice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Peter principle in effect :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Only circuits need documentation.
Think of this. Thousands of people do different types of panel wiring and none of them (in the main) are qualified electricians.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Only circuits need documentation.
Think of this. Thousands of people do different types of panel wiring and none of them (in the main) are qualified electricians.

Thank you. A more helpful comment than the bellend above.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Maybe cause I'm a qualified electrician.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thank you. A more helpful comment than the bellend above.

ah, com'on, a bit of jest. you've been made supervisor and asking a football forum for advice. kudos for learning about the jobs, if they dont think thats necesary to supervise (sounds like managment, being a person responsible without knowing whats actually going on)

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Think the official term, is you have to be a 'competent person', to carry out electrical work, not qualified.
Make of that what you will :)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Yes you only need to be a competent person. So really means you had some training. PAT testing is easy but if you leave that to the qualified personnel after any alterations then you will be covered. Otherwise anything goes wrong like a fire you could be liable and would need to prove how or why you are deemed competent.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
ah, com'on, a bit of jest. you've been made supervisor and asking a football forum for advice. kudos for learning about the jobs, if they dont think thats necesary to supervise (sounds like managment, being a person responsible without knowing whats actually going on)

Apologies, didn't mean to snap, long day and all that jazz.
I get what you meant by it but took it the wrong way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here