Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banjo vs Ukulele debate

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Eh, braddah, what fo' you say dis?

Love both, but totally different instruments.

Living in Hawaii, I am biased -- the beloved "uke" is a musical icon -- see Braddah Iz and Over the Rainbow, for a start. Very distinctive sound, just "belongs" to the idyllic place and the relaxed lifetstyle.

Little-known Trivia: Ukulele means "jumping flea" in Hawaiian, because of likeness to finger movements of the player. It was brought to Hawaii by Portuguese (Azores) immigrants who came to work on the sugar plantations in the 1870s on. FACT.

Immigrants have a lot to answer for. :timmy:

Oh.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saw Hayseed Dixie the night before last, Mandolin and Banjo combined with a six string guitar, acoustic bass and a fiddle, didn't think it needed the ukulele, although I do quite enjoy the sound.

image.jpeg

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Funny how we have different mental associations with these things.

Somebody mentions the ukulele: you think "Hawaii", I think "When I'm cleanin' windows" :lol:

The Rattler

NSC Patreon
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Not sure which country these teams are from, but I imagine Celtic will soon be humiliated in Europe by one / both of them.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Love both, but totally different instruments.

Living in Hawaii, I am biased -- the beloved "uke" is a musical icon -- see Braddah Iz and Over the Rainbow, for a start. Very distinctive sound, just "belongs" to the idyllic place and the relaxed lifetstyle.

Little-known Trivia: Ukulele means "jumping flea" in Hawaiian, because of likeness to finger movements of the player. It was brought to Hawaii by Portuguese (Azores) immigrants who came to work on the sugar plantations in the 1870s on. FACT.

Immigrants have a lot to answer for. :timmy:

Oh.

When I was in Hawaii I remember sitting in the beach front bar of the hotel and they had a couple of guys playing the Uke and singing Hawaiian songs it was wonderful, so for that reason alone I will vote Uke but only just because I love the banjo as well.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
5 string Banjo, with Earl Scruggs attached.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here