Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Overseas Cricket - Anyone Been There Done That?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs P has longed to go back to the caribbean since our cruise, and as England have 3 ODI's out there in March, I thought I might have a look at doing a 2 island trip Antigua and Barbados taking in one ODI on each island.

However, she wants nothing to do with the cricket whatsoever, so if anyone has done this or has any experience, would I better off trying to organise our own holiday and buy tickets for the cricket independently, or going with an organised cricket tour so could guarantee tickets for the cricket? Last thing I want to do is get out there and not get to see any cricket.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Mrs P has longed to go back to the caribbean since our cruise, and as England have 3 ODI's out there in March, I thought I might have a look at doing a 2 island trip Antigua and Barbados taking in one ODI on each island.

However, she wants nothing to do with the cricket whatsoever, so if anyone has done this or has any experience, would I better off trying to organise our own holiday and buy tickets for the cricket independently, or going with an organised cricket tour so could guarantee tickets for the cricket? Last thing I want to do is get out there and not get to see any cricket.

In Barbados , about 10 years ago, I bought 4 tickets off of Ainsley Harriot's WIFE. She lied and said they were ALL TOGETHER.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Without knowing for sure but whenever iv'e seen any West Indian cricket on TV on their home soil since Lara packed it in the crowds have looked very sparse , so getting in on the day should be ok , have a few mates that have been lucky enough to go to the Windies with the barmy army and they are again organising the tour for the 17 WI ODI's

https://thomsonsport.com/event/barmy-army-tour-west-indies

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Might not be relevant but I saw us in Sri Lanka a few years ago - just rocked up to the stadium in Columbo and bought a couple of tickets off a tout outside for about a tenner. There were loads going spare.

I'm not arsed at all about cricket, but I like going to sporting occasions abroad if I happen upon them, so I went back to see Sri Lanka v Pakistan in the semis which was just brilliant.

These guys are good if you want to package it though.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In Barbados , about 10 years ago, I bought 4 tickets off of Ainsley Harriot's WIFE. She lied and said they were ALL TOGETHER.

A more useful answer may be that I've watched England overseas a few times (India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, South Africa x2, world cups) and never had a problem getting a ticket, albeit through scalpers/locals, when the games had 'officially' sold out, and always travelled independently.
In the aforementioned story, for test matches, the WICB put a $140 levy on tickets bought through English travel agents. The locals then bought them at standard price, sold them at a profit to the English, and still undercut the travel agents price.
I'm sure there is peace of mind in an organised tour, but it isn't something I would consider, unless I was getting on a bit.
Sounds like a wonderful trip regardless!!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Ive seen England in Australia and New Zealand where I bought the tickets online from the cricket associations or the grounds (some were print at home tickets much like the Albion). Sri Lanka was similar, although paper tickets which only cost USD 1. If I were you I would investigate the possibility of securing your tickets online in advance if only for peace of mind. Enjoy. I have seen cricket in Antigua many years ago (I think it may have been a previous ground in St Johns before the current stadium was built ?) but it was a 2nd X1 match with about 10 people in attendance so not quite the same.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Might not be relevant but I saw us in Sri Lanka a few years ago - just rocked up to the stadium in Columbo and bought a couple of tickets off a tout outside for about a tenner. There were loads going spare.

I'm not arsed at all about cricket, but I like going to sporting occasions abroad if I happen upon them, so I went back to see Sri Lanka v Pakistan in the semis which was just brilliant.

These guys are good if you want to package it though.

Didn't you watch some Ping Pong Final in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, as well.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Ive been to see a ODI in Barbados about 4-5 years ago. Went to ground a day before and bought a ticket no problem. They have (or at least had) a "beach" stand with a pool, bar and bbq where the ticket was all inclusive food and beer. About £80-£90 ish. It was a rain delayed match and by the time the match restarted I'd drunk so much I don't remember much about the game at all! I vaguely remember Strauss scoring some runs...

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Did Barbados in 84. Gatt with a mashed nose, Botham mis behaving, Gower etc. etc. Played a few games out there at the same time. Great fun but different times.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've done Barbados in 09 and Sri Lanka in 07.

Barbados is an amazing place, definitely go out and explore the island if you go there. The amount of people I spoke to who'd been on honeymoon and not left the hotel was ridiculous, absolutely mental behaviour!

I went for the test match which obviously isn't as popular with the locals so I bought tickets the day before, although still had to queue for an hour with about 15 brits in front of me, be ready to experience "island time". They were a fraction of the price you'd pay from the ECB or an official tour, personally I couldn't think of anything worse than an official tour, not really my demographic.
If you want some drinks and some atmosphere I'd definitely consider going in the party stand, I sat in the Greenwich & Haynes lower which felt a bit like a football stadium, if you go in the stands pay a bit extra for the 3Ws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here