Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggestion Box: Alternate Ways To Save The Club £40,000 A Season

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Other than charging £250 a pop for the exclusive few to be a member of the 'Seven Stars Sports Bar'? Well? ???

I'll start:

1. Optional/partial opt-out of the Travel Subsidy. On the mainline Brighton-London it runs from Haywards Heath to Brighton to Falmer. Huge numbers of Albion STHs will also be Southern STHs, so would onlty need a subsidy between Brighton and Falmer, if indeed they needed any subsidising at all. . Ditto Eastbound and Westbound lines, maybe to a lesser extent. And every punter who arrives by Seagulls Travel coach or by car or even walks to the ground. So in many cases the Albion are subsidising something that doesn't need subsidising. It's the equivalent of, say, buying dedicated holiday insurance when its already covered by your paid-for bank account. Travel Subsidy needs more finely tuning IMHO.

2. Albion Museum. Fantastic place. Why not make it £2 entry shuffle-through on match days. I'd guess there would be a large take-up by both home and away fans.

Anymore for anymore?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure the club would argue your point that the Seagulls Travel punters and car drivers 'don't use the subsidy'. Coach park stewards, car park stewards, measures to minimise anti-social parking, etc all cost something.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Scrap the rail subsidy and just make it only applicable on buses from Brighton and Lewes .

and do this without reducing the ticket prices, even to away fans and many home fans who don't use the travel (those who pay for uni car parking for example)??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure the club would argue your point that the Seagulls Travel punters and car drivers 'don't use the subsidy'. Coach park stewards, car park stewards, measures to minimise anti-social parking, etc all cost something.

Not sure I understand your point HKFC. Club are currently paying out for car park stewards etc. AND also giving Seagulls Travel punters and car drivers a public transport subsidy they don't need on the ticket price. Club will always have the fixed costs of stewarding regardless, but to just apply a broad brush public transport subsidy to every attendee whether they need any or all of it is just pissing a lot of good money up the wall shirley?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

But its much more than that. A little pain spread across everyone means cost per person is very modest. Just as we all pay for schools even if we don't have kids/go private.

Take it away and lots will not pay the substantial extra cost so consequently crowds go down, so will impact upon those who dont use subsidized travel when squad quality/atmosphere decreases. Also fare dodging will increase with consequent hold ups at stations/park n ride, as per situation when separately bought travel vouchers were in place.

Effectively we will be back to that failed situation.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Go home, you're drunk.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But its much more than that. A little pain spread across everyone means cost per person is very modest.

For us maybe. But a hefty outlay for the club that could probably be trimmed considerably if everybody who didn't need the travel subsidy voluntarily opted out of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For us maybe. But a hefty outlay for the club that could probably be trimmed considerably if everybody who didn't need the travel subsidy voluntarily opted out of it.

The amount that supporters' pay doesn't cover the full travel cost, so the club is still subsidising travel. As I understand it, the travel subsidy was part of the planning permission, so if it is withdrawn, doesn't that break the conditions?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Charge the bloke near the front of Block F £1 every time he turns round making funny faces, hand gestures to his mates at the back of the stand.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The amount that supporters' pay doesn't cover the full travel cost, so the club is still subsidising travel. As I understand it, the travel subsidy was part of the planning permission, so if it is withdrawn, doesn't that break the conditions?

Aiming to build a hotel on the site probably broke the planning conditions just a tad also tho eh?

Total respect to the club for actively promoting sustainable modes of transport for those visiting the stadium. Tho they couldn't have foreseen SASTA implementing Beeching-level cuts on the region's rail network. Even more reason to withdraw the travel subsidy. The club aren't getting what they paid SASTA for, and the consequences for the start of this season will be seriously grim and will whack the club in the pocket in lost revenue. They don't deserve that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Get the Bluebell railway to run the trains.

Falmer.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here