Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best goal you've scored

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Given a comment on the Jack Harper thread, that everyone scores one average goal in their life, what is the best goal you have ever scored in real life?

For me, I was about 14, playing centre-back in a Boy's Brigade game at Wild Park, I picked up the ball just inside my own half and moved forward, no one came to tackle me so I moved a bit further, '30' yards out I looked up and saw the keeper off his line, I hit it with the outside of my boot and it curled into the top right corner of the goal, the keepers fingertips agonisingly close, but to no avail.

The thing is I then did almost the same thing in the second-half going up hill, but curling the other way into the left hand corner.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Too many to choose from!

Top 3;
- Diving header at the back post to complete my hatrick and win a cup semi-final
- Right foot first time volley from outside the box into top bins
- Lobbing the keeper from 45 yards

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A PE lesson when I was 15. I chased after a long ball which bounced just inside the area, I caught it on the half volley and it sailed in over the advancing keeper.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm VERY slow and VERY aware of that fact. If I don't need to run I won't.

Therefore, out of sheer laziness I've scored a 35 yard volley and an overhead kick from just inside the area.

I don't deserve praise. Both we the easiest option at the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never anything remotely like Harper's, as I was never very skillful. Had a tidy left peg though - scored directly with 5 curled corners, and a load of free kicks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My FAVOURITE ever goal, rather than best, was also a free kick, just outside the box, I was stood over it and noticed the keeper hugging one post while he lined his wall up, before the ref had held up his whistle or marked out ten yards. I asked him if I could take it, then rolled it gently inside the opposite post.

Cue equal levels of amusement / rage / dissent / handbags.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
An inter-hall game at University. Our mixed hall against a larger all male hall. They had far more blokes to choose from. Our limited resources were evident by the fact that I was playing. Their third goal went in half way through the first half, but from our kick off we took them by surprise down the left. A one two on the edge of the penalty area was returned to me in a perfect arc over my shoulder and I hit it first time on the volley across the keeper and into the top right corner. We ran back for their kick off reinvigorated at the quality of the goal. 'Come on' we were shouting 'We're back in this!' It finished 10 - 1.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I sent the school first team goalkeeper the wrong way in a penalty shoot out tucking it in the corner along the ground. Made my hatrick as I beat him twice on one to ones.
Hit a Solly March (last season) volley from the edge of the area just under the bar, from the corner. I thought I could do this just about every time. Over rated skill.
Beat a better midfielder by dummying to the right and then realising he was better than me and I could not go past him on the right, flicked the ball through my own legs (Alex Dawson style) wrong footing the opponent and shooting with my hopeless swinger, got the power and surprise and in the corner of the net before the keeper even moved. Opponent congratulated me.
Beat three useless players, by dummying to shoot and sliding the ball under the keeper (one to one) because of my quicker reactions.

Analysis:

Dummying the keeper from the penalty is risky. An accurate shot in the corner is not. Once off.
Volleying the ball from the edge of the box is overrated if you enough time and a defender does not knock you off balance. Just blast it on on target. (It help in the defender head its into your path for a goal lurker.)
A repertoire of tricks can be practised. I admire players who can use finesse with their swinger. Power might be OK, Direction not.
One on one on a keeper relies on speed of reactions. Less successful as the standard goes up. A player who can do it at a lower level might fail with better opponents. Hence, a prolific goalscorer a a lower level can fail miserably when faced with better opponents. Best way is to curl it around the keeper but I couldn't do this. (Apparently at the Dorchester level they can according to a first teamer for Worthing. Not sure if I believed he could curl a shot with his instep? )

Because I lacked speed I was very much in favour of wall passes: a plus for Ince, Bruno and Holla, a minus for Lualua.

Last edited:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Bent a free kick in in from 25 yards against Seaford Seagulls in about 1990 for Denton U16's. Then scored twice in the final against Whitehawk. We drew 2-2. They bought in two ringers in the replay (Mark Gumpright and Darren Freeman) and beat us 4-0.

Now I am 43 and a bit overweight.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Not are it was the best goal I've ever scored but the one thats sticks in my mind is this:

Playing right back, I beat the left winger on the outside in my own half, ran down the wing, beat the left back on the inside about halfway into their half, passed the ball to the striker and carried on running, he played a perfect first time ball back to me on the edge of the D for me to run on lace the ball home left footed first time into the bottom left hand corner. The best bit about it was being able able to start running on my own half and finish by running to the far coner-flag in celebration.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I swapped playing Football for Rugby at the tender age of 14, (mainly because i'm not that great at Football).

Last game of my "career" i went up for the corner, i was playing RB. I'm on the edge of the box, corner swings out wide i leather it first time hit my best friend who was on the opposite team in the face and it deflected in. Broke his nose and fractured his eye socket. Poor lad didn't see it coming.

We are still friends.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not are it was the best goal I've ever scored but the one thats sticks in my mind is this:

Playing right back, I beat the left winger on the outside in my own half, ran down the wing, beat the left back on the inside about halfway into their half, passed the ball to the striker and carried on running, he played a perfect first time ball back to me on the edge of the D for me to run on lace the ball home left footed first time into the bottom left hand corner. The best bit about it was being able able to start running on my own half and finish by running to the far coner-flag in celebration.

The wall pass Mike Smith (later Manager for Wales) was strong on teaching us this. Days of 4-2-4. Deaf ears to most. Hit the shot first time or dink it over the keeper if he rushes out. Better with a real wall as the ball usually bounces of the other player at the wrong angle. Or he holds onto the ball or completely fails to control it all and bounces back to where you came from. Does not work when it was muddy.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Never renowned for any screamers in my time, but the goal I cherish was in dummying a pass, which bamboozled 3 defenders. The ball then sped to my teammate out wide as I span and sprinted toward the box. His pass back to me was immediate and the sidefoot finish was simple with the keeper out of position. It was a glorious team effort, all made possible by my completely outwitting the defenders. It's thinking and ideas, and a bit of technique, that I always liked. That was in my late 20s.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I swapped playing Football for Rugby at the tender age of 14, (mainly because i'm not that great at Football).

Last game of my "career" i went up for the corner, i was playing RB. I'm on the edge of the box, corner swings out wide i leather it first time hit my best friend who was on the opposite team in the face and it deflected in. Broke his nose and fractured his eye socket. Poor lad didn't see it coming.

We are still friends.

But he can't see you out of the corner of his eye when you sneak up on him.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
woodside road 83 hat-trick in west sussex under 16's final against rustington for sompting but the best one was at waterhall against coolroe ramblers in the semi final in the pissing rain ....i scored 4 , the beaut being a 30 yard screamer that stayed about six inches of the deck all the way into the net .....poor keeper had no chance , god i wish i was 15 again.....

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Think we need a lie detector on some of these.... there may be a bit of poetic licence used..

My best "was dribble past six players and top corner from 40 yards":cool::cool:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There's been a few including volley from wide right just inside the other teams half and another I beat 5 players running in from right wing to left edge penalty area. Then shoot with my left foot into bottom right hand corner of goal. But, probably the best was when I ran through the right centre of the pitch and someone slid in from the right, I ride the tackle and ref said play on, then another tackle flying in from the left and I ride that one, looked up and saw the keeper a yard off his line, I chipped him for the equalising goal. I was playing left back that day...

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here