• Hughton

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Mood on the Allardyce thread appears to be split so if you are in the "Oh Christ not Sam' camp who would have you had?

Names are those either mentioned on the thread or by antis on TalkSport this morning.

Poll to follow.

Yoda

English & European
There are plenty of managers who are available (out of work) that are better than 'Big Sam'. I don't care if they are not English, just want the best for the job.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are plenty of managers who are available (out of work) that are better than 'Big Sam'. I don't care if they are not English, just want the best for the job.

Really? I can't think of any

I rate Allardyce and think that (of the English managers) he's streets ahead of anyone else

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
None of the options in the poll. If an English manager was the key criteria, Allardyce was the only option. If you're looking for either an English or foreign manager, I would have done everything possible to get Pochettino from Spurs. Not sure he would have taken the job but he would have been my first choice. He's done superbly with a young, English team and would be a strong choice.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Eddie Howe would be my choice, as he as guided Bornmuff' through all leagues to get to the PL.
Gaining experience all the way and understanding players from all walks of life and skill level.
The FA should see this as a future proposition.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Onest 'Umble 'Arry always knew how to put a decent team together with a bit of lateral thinking that wouldn't necessarily include sacred cows such as Rooney or that bloke with the stupid hair off the shampoo adverts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've voted for Hoddle. Excellent coach and tactician and my vote is conditional on him having learnt from the religious freakery that ended his previous spell in charge. Its all a bit academic though as we now have an uninspiring manager coaching an uninspiring team towards an unsavoury World Cup...thank goodness for the Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Indulge us with a few names.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Blanc for me. Excellent tactician, motivator and really does his homework on opponents. Did well to win La Ligue with Bordeaux too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Eddie Howe would be my choice, as he as guided Bornmuff' through all leagues to get to the PL.
Gaining experience all the way and understanding players from all walks of life and skill level.

The big concern with Eddie Howe is his one experience of not managing Bournemouth wasn't successful. He didn't achieve anything at Burnley. He needs to leave Bournemouth, preferably go to a club with European football and succeed before he is selected. Agree he could be a future England manager though, especially if we stick with this policy of English managers only.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Stuart Pearce as his number two? If we're going all out to be as shite as possible may as well do it in fashion.

Yoda

English & European
Really? I can't think of any

I rate Allardyce and think that (of the English managers) he's streets ahead of anyone else

Guus Hiddink
Manuel Pellegrini
Cesare Prandelli
Frank de Boer

And if we're going to go for people IN work, I'd rather someone like Diego Simeone.

There are plenty out there.

Even Harry Redknapp would be a better option if we HAD to go down the English route IMO.

edit: What we need is a manager who will work within the same tactics as what the majority of the managers in the League will be playing. That way the players, that will be player a certain way week in week out, won't have to change mentality to something different for a week and a half. Think Spain's route with Vicente del Bosque.

Last edited:

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I'd like to know why some people are so damn hell-bent on having an English manager.

The way I see it, we have a minutely small talent pool of English managers that could be deemed to make the grade. Why arbitrarily narrow down the list of people you would entertain for the job instead of casting your net further afield and giving yourself the option of, dare I say it, someone better?

I'm not saying that Sam is a bad appointment (quite the opposite, I'm a fan of his), but it's this Little England mindset that I don't understand. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Anyone?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd like to know why some people are so damn hell-bent on having an English Manager.

The way I see it, we have a minutely small talent pool of English managers that could be deemed to make the grade. Why arbitrarily narrow down the list of people you would entertain for the job instead of casting your net further afield and giving yourself the option of, dare I say it, someone better?

I'm not saying that Sam is a bad appointment (quite the opposite, I'm a fan of his), but it's this Little England mindset that I don't understand. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Anyone?

I'm not "hell-bent" on it HAVING to be an English manager, but I've come round to feeling that I prefer it. This is International competition, nations vs nations, it should be the best we have up against the best everyone else has. Stand or fall.

If the pool of talent is small (which it is) then its up to the FA and the people within the game to actually address it and do something about it. By implementing a long-term strategy, instead of just taking the quick-fix route of throwing a shedload of cash at the latest Juan Carlos Fandango who happens to be the latest fashionable-sounding flavour of the month

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Bit question marks over if Eddie can replicate that ability outside of Bournemouth. Hardly pulled up trees at Bournemouth.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would say Pardew asI don't care about England anymore, but I would rather he screwed up Palace.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
For clarity, I was referring only to people in a general sense, not specifically anyone who may have posted in this topic or on this forum.

I'm not "hell-bent" on it HAVING to be an English manager, but I've come round to feeling that I prefer it.This is International competition, nations vs nations, it should be the best we have up against the best everyone else has. Stand or fall.

If the pool of talent is small (which it is) then its up to the FA and the people within the game to actually address it and do something about it. By implementing a long-term strategy, instead of just taking the quick-fix route of throwing a shedload of cash at the latest Juan Carlos Fandango who happens to be the latest fashionable-sounding flavour of the month
I totally agree with most of your second paragraph, it is absolutely the responsibility of the FA to improve the frankly dire situation we find ourselves in. The problem is that the FA care only about one thing and it isn't the quality of English managers. :(

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm not "hell-bent" on it HAVING to be an English manager, but I've come round to feeling that I prefer it. This is International competition, nations vs nations, it should be the best we have up against the best everyone else has. Stand or fall.

I don't mind a foriegn manager on the condition that they have worked in EPL and speak good English. The Wenger or Ranieri type, even a Bilic would be ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here