Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Immigration Advice

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Not sure if anyone can help with this one but here goes.

So my Girlfriend is currently here on a student visa and has been for over 3 years from the United States, she informs me that as her father holds a UK passport and she has resided in the UK for 3 years she is now entitled to a British Passport. Could anyone please advise as to what process needs to be undertaken in order for her to receive a Passport?

Thank you in advance.:albion2:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
BREXIT!!!!!!!!! Get the foreigners out, be orf with you surly Sceptic types, GGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
She may already be regarded as a British citizen ‘by descent’. This depends on whether she was born from 1983 onwards.

If so, then it is my understanding that she can claim citizenship, on account of her Dad.

Any children you have abroad may not qualify.

But let's not jump the gun....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You will need to check with the Home Office as do I when I want to return to the UK.

I have found this regarding children under the age of 18:

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So a child bornabroad to a parent who is British otherwise than by descent will automatically beBritish by descent.

My reading of that is that my youngest son, born in SA to British otherwise by descent parents, is automatically "British by descent". So I do not think he will have a problem getting a British passport. If that logic is correct, if your gf's father was British (not British by descent ie born in the UK to British parents, not outside the UK to British parents), then your gf should already be British by descent.

But this may only apply to under 18's so phone the home office! Or try this: https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
You will need to check with the Home Office as do I when I want to return to the UK.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So a child bornabroad to a parent who is British otherwise than by descent will automatically beBritish by descent.

My reading of that is that my youngest son, born in SA to British otherwise by descent parents, is automatically "British by descent". So I do not think he will have a problem getting a British passport. If that logic is correct, if your gf's father was British (not British by descent ie born in the UK to British parents, not outside the UK to British parents), then your gf should already be British by descent.

But this may only apply to under 18's so phone the home office! Or try this: https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

I think her Father was British by descent so I am not sure where that leaves her, I am pretty sure she is eligible, I am also pretty sure it is going to be a ball ache amount of paper work and red tape hence why I have been tasked with sorting it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think her Father was British by descent so I am not sure where that leaves her, I am pretty sure she is eligible, I am also pretty sure it is going to be a ball ache amount of paper work and red tape hence why I have been tasked with sorting it.

In which case, using that link I just sent you, no, she is probably not British. If you then click the link that says "become a British citizen through naturalisation" it says you must have been in the UK for at least 5 years. Unless she is your Civil Partner, in which case it is 3 years.

Good luck - looks like a hideous nightmare of red tape!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My Mrs is Canadian, has been over here 30 years or so. Dumped her dual citizenship a couple of years ago and just has a GB passport. Last year she had problems visiting her family in Canada they didn't want to let her in although she was born there!!! Suggest she trys to hang onto both.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
My Mrs is Canadian, has been over here 30 years or so. Dumped her dual citizenship a couple of years ago and just has a GB passport. Last year she had problems visiting her family in Canada they didn't want to let her in although she was born there!!! Suggest she trys to hang onto both.

That was the hope.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

If you want me to put you in touch with a Visa/Immigration person mate let me know, shes based down in here in Durban and is wonderful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here