Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T E-mail query

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I keep getting e-mails from the "Outlook team" (welldefined@hotmail.co.uk) telling me .."your account will be blocked" unless I click on a .."Unblock Verify Now" section.

I did this a week or so ago and then had to re-new my account with new passwords etc. All seems a bit odd to me...is this some sort of scam ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Unfortunately with e mail there is always some sort of scam and the scammers are getting even better. I had one the other week that even I thought might be genuine even though I go to the trouble of checking the e mail headers for anything suspicious.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Thanks for the replies. It just seems a very odd e-mail to send and I also have another one along similar lines, but was filtered into my 'Junk' folder.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I hope you didn't use one of their links to "renew your account"? This is a complete scam, avoid, delete and report the senders.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I hope you didn't use one of their links to "renew your account"? This is a complete scam, avoid, delete and report the senders.

Thank you for your advice and I will follow it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nearly got done by an EBay scam once. Talk of issues with my account- which, by chance, there had been.

Best thing to do, if you think there is a chance it could be genuine, is to log in your account via another browser.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Never click on a link that asks for your password.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nearly got done by an EBay scam once. Talk of issues with my account- which, by chance, there had been.

Best thing to do, if you think there is a chance it could be genuine, is to log in your account via another browser.
I get lots of emails about problems with my EBay and PayPal accounts.

EBay and PayPal must be truely thoughtful enterprises - they seem to have set up accounts for me without me ever asking them to do so !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

THIS ! If you get an email that could be suspicious but looks very genuine then hoover your mouse over any links - don't click - instead look towards the bottom left of your screen and it will show the full URL. If the URL doesn't match the domain name the email has come from then the email is definitely dodgy.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You say that you 'did this a week ago'

Is that click on the link and then reset passwords etc.?

If so, I would change your passwords for pretty much everything that you log into online.

I would also change your e-mail password again but via Hotmail/outlook itself than one of those e-mails. Almost definitely a scam, you can contact the hotmail support directly

Interestingly if you google the email that it came from (unless you were giving us your e-mail address?) then it is a paving company. If it is your company - good work on the positive feedback!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Absolutely never click on a password renew link on any unexpected email. You should only ever click these if you have personally just been to the site / service and requested a password reset.

My favourite spam mail was received about a decade ago, it was for penis enlargement and had the very tempting subject 'Knock down walls with your cock'. Just goes to show that even in the dubious world of made up pharma there are marketing geniuses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here