Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Rebel – UK Gold tonight

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The first part of a new mini-series 'The Rebel', starring Simon Callow, in airing on UK Gold tonight at 10pm.

It's set and filmed in Brighton, and is based on a cartoon-strip character from 'The Oldie' magazine.

You’d think a 70-year-old spending his retirement years by the seaside would enjoy putting his feet up and taking it easy. But not Henry Palmer, the title character of Gold’s new three-part comedy The Rebel, played by Simon Callow, which is based on the cartoon strip of the same name as featured in The Oldie magazine.

Described by his doctor as a ‘WGPA’ (weapons-grade pain in the arse), Henry is nostalgic for his 1960s heyday as a mod, exasperated by modern life and generally pretty angry – which may or may not be a reaction to the recent death of his wife.

“There’s 40 years of bottled-up rage inside that man,” said Simon Callow, 67, who stars alongside Bill Paterson, Anita Dobson and Anna Crilly in the show. He doesn’t really care any more. He’s angry about so many things – being 70, having spent a life of conformity, modern art, the way the world has gone – everything really.

“Henry is not simply a south coast variation on One Foot in the Grave’s curmudgeonly codger Victor Meldrew. Victor dislikes the modern world because it’s the modern world. Henry dislikes it because it isn’t anarchic enough.”

Could be good, could be shite. Just thought I'd let you know. :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Been looking forward to this since they first started plugging it on Gold, what seems like months ago.

D

Deleted User X18H

It's been on VIRGIN catch up or something for a couple of weeks. Pretty poor to be honest.

My wife and kids are in the background in one scene however.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Puts me in mind of that 'Vicious' crap with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi - surely actors of their skill have better to do with their time than this stuff?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Puts me in mind of that 'Vicious' crap with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi - surely actors of their skill have better to do with their time than this stuff?

No, that was shit.

Callow looked like he was having fun.

Lush

Mods' Pet
So, is it worth watching? Hoping that it's an antidote to the crowdfunding parents from Brighton.

Described as "starring Simon Callow, a sort of postmillenial Victor Meldrew, permanently at war with the hipsters, skaters and baristas of his native Brighton."

(And yes, that was in the Waitrose weekend free paper :rolleyes: :D)

Jul 7, 2003
So, is it worth watching? Hoping that it's an antidote to the crowdfunding parents from Brighton.

Described as "starring Simon Callow, a sort of postmillenial Victor Meldrew, permanently at war with the hipsters, skaters and baristas of his native Brighton."

(And yes, that was in the Waitrose weekend free paper :rolleyes: :D)

I watched it this morning. First episodes are normally scene setters so never the best way to judge a series. It is good old fashioned gentle comedy - nothing new but a nice enough way to spend 30 minutes. Of course, having local sights always helps as you try to spot the locations - for example, the charity shop they use is the old travel agents next to Dockerills.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It started off Ok and then became quite poor. The character Callow plays is rather tedious tbh, no reason for him acting like a Dick other than his Wife just died. 5.5 out of 10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here