Red cards for swearing at referees...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
could be fun!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

The Premier League, Football League and Football Association have announced new rules to combat "intolerable behaviour" by players and managers.
The English football authorities say poor conduct has reached "unacceptable levels" over the past four seasons.
Under the new guidelines, red cards will be issued to players who confront match officials and use offensive language.
Behaviour within the technical areas will also be more rigorously enforced.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Imagine how many we could have gone down to at Boro, I am assuming the players did swear at that ****

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Swearing at Refs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

New rules being introduced (at Premier League level).

FINALLY an actual initiative has been set. Sure the cynics will say "I bet they don't stick to it", but I'm certainly hoping this is the beginning of a crack down on it.

I don't have kids so perhaps I'm imagining being overly fussed but with the HD clear images now of players turning to refs and clearing mouthing "F*** off you F***ing C***"" when the ref has the audacity to award a throw in against them, I often imagine myself having to explain to Mejona Jnr that just because Wayne Rooney did it, doesn't mean he should when he plays FOOTY.

Would love to see on the first weekend the refs REALLY sticking to this new rule. That'll cut it out.

And don't get me wrong. I KNOW players swear and I think these rules are clear that it is specifically AT officials which is the issue. I'm a right POTTY MOUTH in Sunday league but at that's at MYSELF for being useless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is not a new rule as it has always been a red card for swearing at a ref. I sat on a disciplinary at Surrey when a well know female ref having sent a player off said in her evidence that what the player called her may have been medically and technically correct in some form but it was said in an offensive manner. You can guess what he called her.

They are just going to enforce more rigorously the existing rules.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't hate the idea, but presumably Kayal would have been sent off for swearing when Barton stamped on him. The refs will think they're being sworn at sometimes when the player was just swearing in general - we could see some farcical outcomes.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Please let it work. I'd suggest it's introduced with a zero tolerance approach. Can we extend it to blatant diving and feigning injury as well - with retrospective action. That never seems to get penalised enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is not a new rule as it has always been a red card for swearing at a ref. I sat on a disciplinary at Surrey when a well know female ref having sent a player off said in her evidence that what the player called her may have been medically and technically correct in some form but it was said in an offensive manner. You can guess what he called her.
She may have had what she was called, but I can't imagine she was one, from a medical standpoint.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Apologies. It's not prem only as stated in my original post.

We should see the benefits of this as well.

Correct that it's always been a "rule". This is a "campaign" to enforce it.

I think the problem was if a ref just suddenly started sending people off, Joe blogs would say "but so and so got away with it last week".

At least with the Authorities coming out and stating this, no one can be left shocked if on day one they get sent off for being completely out of order.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't hate the idea, but presumably Kayal would have been sent off for swearing when Barton stamped on him. The refs will think they're being sworn at sometimes when the player was just swearing in general - we could see some farcical outcomes.

I know what you mean but I think there is a difference between:

"F***ing Hell ref!!!!"

and

"Ref, YOU f***ing ****".

Again, it appears to be anything said on a personal level rather than in general will be jumped on, which is completely right in my view.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I think most refs will understand when a player says s*** or f*** in exasperation, as opposed to swearing AT the ref.

The idea of more and more red cards does worry me a bit - I like to see 11 v. 11, and not have the spectacle spoilt by players being sent off. Perhaps it's time for another sort of card - an orange one, perhaps - which means "Miss the next game". If players didn't learn quickly and get the point, they could potentially acquire several of these in oe game, thus earning themselves a lengthy period of kicking their heels and reflecting on their stupidity. Not to mention incurring the wrath of their manager!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Please let it work. I'd suggest it's introduced with a zero tolerance approach. Can we extend it to blatant diving and feigning injury as well - with retrospective action. That never seems to get penalised enough.

Good grief I hate this. Nothing irks me more than some tosser rolling around on the floor, not getting the decision and then getting back on his feet quick like a bunny. RAGE!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm always irritated when I see refs confronted by screaming players, hastily trotting backwards to avoid the bile and the spittle coming his way.

Even if those players aren't swearing, they're showing zero respect.

I think refs should be advised to always stand their ground in such situations and if players still want to mouth off, it's a booking or worse.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I sat on a disciplinary at Surrey when a well know female ref having sent a player off said in her evidence that what the player called her may have been medically and technically correct in some form but it was said in an offensive manner. You can guess what he called her..

I genuinely can't.

"C*** possessor" ?

"Ovary vessel"?

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
anyone who dives gets told by the ref he is substituted plus all player are banned for having silly haircuts and must all wear black football boots

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know what you mean but I think there is a difference between:

"F***ing Hell ref!!!!"

and

"Ref, YOU f***ing ****".
Of course there is, but are you confident no ref will ever think is want the latter when it was the former? When a player says 'You ****ing ****', were they swearing at the opponent who just dived / fouled them, or at the ref?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Players have been physically manhandling refs for some time now without any comeback on it. I remember Paul Durkin showing Petit an instant red card for putting his hands on his chest back in the 90s, but lately they've been behaving with near impunity. So I'd happily see an end to that. I'd second what BBassic said as well - the play-acting that so many fans and pundits detest so vigorously will only stop if the players actually get punished for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here