Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Historic 1960s Albion help needed

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Can anybody help me with a bit of research?
My first Albion game was on 2 September 1967 – a 1-0 home win against Bury at the Goldstone in front of 13,413. I can remember loads about the day (I was just 11) including the fact that Bury were captained by Bobby Collins who ran the show until we scored. But I can’t remember, or find out, who scored our goal. Can anyone help?
Also does anyone know what the ground admission to the North Stand was in 1967-68 season – both adult and junior. In the early days my ticket was always bought for me, so have no idea, although 2s 9d sticks in my mind?
Thanks very much in advance.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Can anybody help me with a bit of research?
My first Albion game was on 2 September 1967 – a 1-0 home win against Bury at the Goldstone in front of 13,413. I can remember loads about the day (I was just 11) including the fact that Bury were captained by Bobby Collins who ran the show until we scored. But I can’t remember, or find out, who scored our goal. Can anyone help?
Also does anyone know what the ground admission to the North Stand was in 1967-68 season – both adult and junior. In the early days my ticket was always bought for me, so have no idea, although 2s 9d sticks in my mind?
Thanks very much in advance.

The answer is above your avatar. :)

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Kit Napier scored in front of 13,465, according to my Seagulls! book.

Attachments

• kiity.jpg
    kiity.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 392

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Thanks. I had a gut feeling it was Kit, but couldn't be 100% sure. Even better to know it was!
Anyone have any ideas of ground admission back then? - 49 years is a bloody long time, though things about that that first match still seems fresh, such as the weather, the chants for Charlie Livesey and where I stood on the North Stand and catching the number 26 bus back home to Mile Oak afterwards.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I started attending Brighton matches the season before - I think admission for kids on the East Terrace was 1 shilling and sixpence.

Blimey that's all of 18 pence. (13.3 matches for a £1); x £32 = x 425.6 price rise. So Kit Napier (cost £9K from Newcastle) would cost £3.85 million w/o the TV money nowadays. Bigger gates now.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Blimey that's all of 18 pence. (13.3 matches for a £1); x £32 = x 425.6 price rise. So Kit Napier (cost £9K from Newcastle) would cost £3.85 million w/o the TV money nowadays. Bigger gates now.
Thanks guys ... in essence that is what I was researching: the real cost of following the Albion over 50 years.
For instance in 1967, in comparison the average house price was £2,530, a loaf of bread was 5p and a season ticket to see 1st Division champions Manchester United cost £8.50.
The real time cost of living indicator is useful to compare it to current prices.
Thank you again

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A Grandstand season ticket was 6 quid that season if I remember correctly.

This is different: £710 equivalent. x 118. Kit Napier £9K x 118 = £1 million, more realistic.

My parents sold their house for £2K back then and it went for £500K recently.

It seems about right that Premier League young reserves should cost £1 million although from the top clubs it might be £2 million to cover costs of wages.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Correction 1s 6d = 7.5p

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Old Money

Correction 1s 6d = 7.5p

18 d

PS: John Napier cost £25K (big money signing at the time for a Div 3 club)

Then the real big spenders of Div 3, Hull City bought three players at £40K each.

More statistics from 1967 ...

That was the year when the full student grant for students outside London went up to £360 a year (£12 a week for a 30-week academic year). I was paying 3 guineas a week for a furnished room in Osborne Villas, Hove. And it was the year when I bought a five year old Ford Anglia 105E for £180, using the money I had saved from my student grant and earnings from a holiday job.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Always interesting to look at the opposition. They had Alec Lindsay, who went on to play for Liverpool and, of course, Alex Dawson.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
That Bobby Collins was a right nasty piece of work, 5ft 3in of pure venom.
i believe, if my memory isnt playing tricks, at the final whistle of that game, John Templeman went to shake hands and Collins knocked him spark out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here