Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official My Computer is too Hot to Work Thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I had a kernel_task yesterday using 600% of the CPU. Slowed the MacBook Pro down to painful speed.

So after some rebooting, repairing disk permissions etc. etc. the answer came in propping the laptop a couple of inches above the desk for clear air flow, and sticking a fan next to it. Voila, the kernel_task disappeared and back to zippy fast working again.

Anyone else have hardware that gave up in the heat until it got better working conditions?

p.s. I don't know what a kernel_task is before you ask....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I had a kernel_task yesterday using 600% of the CPU. Slowed the MacBook Pro down to painful speed.

So after some rebooting, repairing disk permissions etc. etc. the answer came in propping the laptop a couple of inches above the desk for clear air flow, and sticking a fan next to it. Voila, the kernel_task disappeared and back to zippy fast working again.

Anyone else have hardware that gave up in the heat until it got better working conditions?

I'd be more worried about it using more than 100% of the processor. Good trick if you can do it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Whhhhhaattt? A MAC going slow?? That can't be true!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I've worked in and designed data centres now for over 15 years. Servers and PC's over heating is more common than you think if airflow is not managed correctly. You are one of many suffering this week I'm sure. Keeps me in a job! :)

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The heat has buckled BT's fibre this morning, broadband intermittent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as [MENTION=28206]Rod Marsh[/MENTION] notes, its not uncommon problem. heat or how to manage it is the biggest constraint on compute performance. many processors now operate at reduced speed normal operations, only going to full throttle when needed, to keep temp down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here