Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kicking out a tenant

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Morning all, advice needed.

Two weeks ago a tenant moved into my dads studio flat. She has failed to pay the deposit we asked her for and now we want to kick her out. We knew she was a big risk to start with because she had no references (I know I know, lesson learnt).

Anyways, how would you go about kicking her out? I'm guessing going up to her last night and getting into an argument and telling her I want her out at the end of the month wasn't the wisest move.. Oh also I live in the room next to her and her dog barks like mad every night and is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2003
surely she shouldn't have been given the keys without paying the deposit? should be relatively straight forward as the necessity to pay a deposit should be in the tenancy agreement and therefore she's in breach of tenancy? I'm guessing you didn't go through an agent?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
surely she shouldn't have been given the keys without paying the deposit?

My landlady took a risk with me and let me move in without a deposit straight away. I've been in the property over 3 years now and never missed a payment, I also paid an extra £100 on top of the deposit when I had it. There are some of us decent people still out there, few and far between but still here.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You need to issue a Section 21 notice and then take them to court. In my experience a Section 21 usually persuades them to leave of their own accord or pay up.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
So would you think be worth risking her just paying the next months rent? I really don't think its a good idea keeping her without a deposit but if she kept paying rent and got her dog to shut up maybe it could work... Her contract is only for three months anyways thank God. And yes her contract would of been breached by not paying the deposit as it was stipulated. Just don't want it to go to court really and would like to get back on good terms with her. Maybe I should give her a Will Smith CD?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Morning all, advice needed.

Two weeks ago a tenant moved into my dads studio flat. She has failed to pay the deposit we asked her for and now we want to kick her out. We knew she was a big risk to start with because she had no references (I know I know, lesson learnt).

Anyways, how would you go about kicking her out? I'm guessing going up to her last night and getting into an argument and telling her I want her out at the end of the month wasn't the wisest move.. Oh also I live in the room next to her and her dog barks like mad every night and is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance.

A solicitor once told me - off the record - that the quickest and cheapest way, is to wait for her to leave, then break the door, change the locks and bundle up her stuff. You would get fined, and but it would be a cheaper result that waiting for non- payment! I am not advocating you do this, by the way! If you have not gone through an agent and "done it all nice and legal", it could be a problem for you. Good luck.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So would you think be worth risking her just paying the next months rent? I really don't think its a good idea keeping her without a deposit but if she kept paying rent and got her dog to shut up maybe it could work...

Have a word with yourself. If she's not paid the deposit, she's hardly going to come up with the rent. Or keep her dog quiet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Casually mention in conversation how interested in serial killers you are, and that Fred West is your hero.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So would you think be worth risking her just paying the next months rent? I really don't think its a good idea keeping her without a deposit but if she kept paying rent and got her dog to shut up maybe it could work... Her contract is only for three months anyways thank God. And yes her contract would of been breached by not paying the deposit as it was stipulated. Just don't want it to go to court really and would like to get back on good terms with her. Maybe I should give her a Will Smith CD?

It's going to take some time to evict her. If I were you I would have a quiet word with her and say that you plan to issue a Section 21 eviction notice and she will be responsible for any costs. Suggest to her that it would be in her benefit to leave before you issue the notice.

Alternatively you could just do what I did to one tenant and tell to eff off or else ( a long complicated story that would take several pints to tell ! ).

Oct 25, 2003
My landlady took a risk with me and let me move in without a deposit straight away. I've been in the property over 3 years now and never missed a payment, I also paid an extra £100 on top of the deposit when I had it. There are some of us decent people still out there, few and far between but still here.

of course, but as this thread shows it's a big risk for the landlord. I think there's some people who react to flexibility like you did, and respect the flexibility and even pay back extra, and there's some people who unfortunately just take the piss. I blame the latter for the apparent necessity of letting agents as what they (should) do is weed out people like that

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Trust me on this. Go into her flat, remove all her stuff and change the locks. People like her don't go to the police.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
of course, but as this thread shows it's a big risk for the landlord. I think there's some people who react to flexibility like you did, and respect the flexibility and even pay back extra, and there's some people who unfortunately just take the piss. I blame the latter for the apparent necessity of letting agents as what they (should) do is weed out people like that

Totally agree. Unfortunately people who take the piss in all kinds of situations make it harder for the genuine people. I feel for the landlord in situations like this, I don't envy them at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here