Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay timewasters. How do you deal with them?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having now had another time waster potentially cost me another £10 in listing fees, I'm thinking of retribution, seeing as Ebay seems content to take no action against transgressors.

At present it seems Ebay only 'punish' the time waster by allowing you to block them from bidding on any future items you may put up for auction. You are still liable for listing fees even though they eventually wipe out any final value fees. Surely a suitable penalty would be to charge the time waster for the sellers listing fees, seeing as how it's quite clear that users "bid to buy".

Anyone an Ebay expert and have any advice please regarding time wasters that refuse to make contact and/or refuse to pay?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Having now had another time waster potentially cost me another £10 in listing fees, I'm thinking of retribution, seeing as Ebay seems content to take no action against transgressors.

At present it seems Ebay only 'punish' the time waster by allowing you to block them from bidding on any future items you may put up for auction. You are still liable for listing fees even though they eventually wipe out any final value fees. Surely a suitable penalty would be to charge the time waster for the sellers listing fees, seeing as how it's quite clear that users "bid to buy".

Anyone an Ebay expert and have any advice please regarding time wasters that refuse to make contact and/or refuse to pay?

Surely if you have a non-payer you can get your fees back?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What are they doing

Making no contact and no attempt to pay. Or making contact but then going silent and not paying.

As fvcked off as I am at the moment, for a wide variety of other reasons to be fair, I could live with it if Ebay also refunded listing fees, but they don't, so I'm out of pocket yet again while the time wasters seem to get off scott free.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Making no contact and no attempt to pay. Or making contact but then going silent and not paying.

As fvcked off as I am at the moment, for a wide variety of other reasons to be fair, I could live with it if Ebay also refunded listing fees, but they don't, so I'm out of pocket yet again while the time wasters seem to get off scott free.

You can claim back the final value fee for NPB but not the listing fee .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Surely if you have a non-payer you can get your fees back?

I've opened an unpaid item case in the resolution centre. Apologies. It seems that there's a chance I might get listing fees back, eventually, in the form of a re listing credit once the final value fees have been credited back, but meanwhile I've had to pay again to relist and got myself yet another time waster.

Seems I just have to be patient and see what the resolution centre finally turns up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You can claim back the final value fee for NPB but not the listing fee .

Exactly as I understand it, hence the frustration. Further reading seems to suggest you might get a re listing credit as well, eventually. (see post above)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've sold many items on eBay and never had one timewaster, so sorry, can't help. Is it related in some way to what you are selling and who might be looking at your stuff?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've sold many items on eBay and never had one timewaster, so sorry, can't help. Is it related in some way to what you are selling and who might be looking at your stuff?

Possibly. We've sold a fair few everyday items posted and never had any problems.

Unfortunately we've now had two cars go bang on us and I've tried selling them as spares or repairs with very clear and honest ads that state the car will need collecting. The previous car had a time waster on Ebay and the now this one has had two time wasters. I should really learn my lesson and go straight to Gumtree where I've always had good experiences, even with cars.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I've opened an unpaid item case in the resolution centre. Apologies. It seems that there's a chance I might get listing fees back, eventually, in the form of a re listing credit once the final value fees have been credited back, but meanwhile I've had to pay again to relist and got myself yet another time waster.

Seems I just have to be patient and see what the resolution centre finally turns up.

Best to close the case once you get the message from Ebay stating you can . If the idiot ( sorry Buyer ) doesn't want what you are selling you are better off loosing the sale and keeping the goods rather than sending something that is really not wanted .Otherwise instead of a NPB you might end up with an INR , SNAD ,return of a stick of rhubarb or all of these .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Their regs say you may get the insertion fee back! Not sure what "may" means?

I think the 'may' possibly means you can wait for 30 odds days for the resolution centre to find in your favour, refund your final listing fees and then offer you re listing credits. In the real world when an item needs selling you can't wait that long before re listing, for which you have to pay again.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Possibly. We've sold a fair few everyday items posted and never had any problems.

Unfortunately we've now had two cars go bang on us and I've tried selling them as spares or repairs with very clear and honest ads that state the car will need collecting. The previous car had a time waster on Ebay and the now this one has had two time wasters. I should really learn my lesson and go straight to Gumtree where I've always had good experiences, even with cars.
Knew it was a car you were selling. Always more risky selling them on ebay. You are fare more likely to come across a non payer

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Best to close the case once you get the message from Ebay stating you can . If the idiot ( sorry Buyer ) doesn't want what you are selling you are better off loosing the sale and keeping the goods rather than sending something that is really not wanted .Otherwise instead of a NPB you might end up with an INR , SNAD ,return of a stick of rhubarb or all of these .

Sorry I didn't realize it was a car that you are selling and not a mailable item . In that case none of the above applies .

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
If you've genuinely been ****ed over then you will get all fees back. eBay like to protect the buyer these days but they will read through the messages sent between you and the bellend and will rule in your favour so don't worry.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gave up selling on Ebay years ago. Too many people wanting something for nothing and the shipping costs rules are frankly stupid.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
If you are selling plastic mattress undersheets or a bed wetting alarm, I suggest you post on here since the need will be increasingly exponentially over the next few days.

If you are selling anything else - I can't help you.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If you've genuinely been ****ed over then you will get all fees back. eBay like to protect the buyer these days but they will read through the messages sent between you and the bellend and will rule in your favour so don't worry.

Possibly and I have got fees refunded....But was cica £12 and the time and hassle involved wouldn`t bother again

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Knew it was a car you were selling. Always more risky selling them on ebay. You are fare more likely to come across a non payer

Tell me about it!

Having had two cars go pop on us now and all the frustration and financial loss that involves, to have time wasters cost you even more money and hassle on top just about takes the biscuit. I wouldn't mind if I was trying to pull a fast one but the ads are as honest as they come and quite clear as to what's being bid on.

Oh well, worse things happen at sea.......and relaaaaaxxx :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here