Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV Series World at War.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know if anyone else caught the piece on R2 J/V show today re-The World at War as for myself have found it quality T/V.:clap2:

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Love it, wonderfully helped by a great narrative.

The slightly primitive graphics simply add to the spectacle.

Will catch the R2 piece on iPlayer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Are we talking about the undoubted masterpiece, narrated by Olivier? Or something else? If the former, I first saw it decades ago; I found it profoundly informative and moving.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fantastic ( if that's the right word for such a morbid subject matter ! ). Got it on DVD and I highly recommend it - picked it up for £20 on Amazon.

franks brother

Everyone should watch The World at War, it really hits home the atrocities of war. The greatest documentary of all time, it's equally fascinating and horrifying.The horrific events that happened at Oradur Sur Glane! A place you can still visit as it has been left as it was after the Nazis had gone as a memorial to all that died

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Everyone should watch The World at War, it really hits home the atrocities of war. The greatest documentary of all time, it's equally fascinating and horrifying.The horrific events that happened at Oradur Sur Glane! A place you can still visit as it has been left as it was after the Nazis had gone as a memorial to all that died

Totally agree that it is the best documentary series ever made. I have the dvd boxed set, but will still watch if a repeat is on tv. And to think that all 24 (?) episodes were broadcast on prime time tv at a time when there were only 3 channels. How times change.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
is this the series that was on in the 60's
if so ...............yes it was absolutely great
also there was one called? war in the air about the same time

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
My dad and my uncle both worked on this. There's no way ITV would commission and broadcast a series of 26 hour long history programmes at such expense and broadcast them in prime time nowadays.

theboybilly

My dad and my uncle both worked on this. There's no way ITV would commission and broadcast a series of 26 hour long history programmes at such expense and broadcast them in prime time nowadays.

The same as 'All Our Yesterdays' with Brian Inglis, another great piece of television. But yes WaW was (and still is) a masterpiece. My favourite opening was 'Down this road the soldiers came.....' about Oradour-sur-Glane. Olivier at his best

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
is this the series that was on in the 60's
if so ...............yes it was absolutely great
also there was one called? war in the air about the same time

No.
Believe the thread is about the 1973 series which was narrated by Laurence Olivier

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fantastic series and should be compulsory viewing for all school pupils.(latter years obviously). Two episodes that stick in the memory are the holocaust and the one showing the Americans slowly mopping up the pacific islands. Horrendous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here