Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 3 sporting events in history

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Here’s something for you to wistfully stare into space and suck your pens over for a bit.

If you could be magically transported back to THREE sporting events at any point in the past to witness them live, what would you choose to see ? Even if it was to say "I was there...". I think for me it would have to be:

1. Newcastle Utd vs Brighton & Hove Albion, May 1979.
2. Ali vs Foreman, Rumble in the Jungle, Zaire 1974.
3. Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield Wednesday, Highbury, April 1983

Obviously loads of you will already have done 2 out of my 3. Maybe SOME of you would even elect to revisit an event you were actually at. I’m not going to rule that out, because its a free country and I’m not a rules kind of guy. So what would be YOUR top 3 ?

Away you go.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1 The bodyline tour - would love to see how fast Larwood really was
2 The last test in 1902 - Jessop's century and Hirst/Rhodes' last wicket partnership
3 Hungary's demolition of England in 1953 - to experience the shock of the defeat as much as anything else

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
1. Jessie Owen. - Just to witness the reaction from Hitler and the other Nazi party members in the stadium
2. Michael Jordan - With what in the states has been called 'The Shot' which won the Bulls the NBA title
3. Roger Bannister - 1st sub 4 minute mile. A race that is still talked about today

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
1985 World Snooker final - Dennis Taylor v Steve Davis. Decided on the final black in the final frame.
1966 World Cup final - England 4-2 West Germany. We'll never win it again.
1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup - Desert Orchid not giving up and winning a memorable race during his prime.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
In no particular order:

1) The British GP (1987 I think), where Mansell was way off, then reeled in Piquet at the end and won
2) Mo Farah at the 2012 Olympics, his first Gold - on Super Saturday
3) Can't remember the year, but recently in the Ryder Cup, Europe staged an almighty comeback v the US in America.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Will avoid Albion stuff... Half they joy is not knowing.

1. Final day - Aus v WI Adelaide 1961. To watch a genuine pair of tail enders survive that Windies onslaught for 1 and a half hours would have been great.

2. World cup final 1970 Brazil beating Italy 4-1 would have been special.

3. 2003 Rugby world cup final..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1) Super Saturday at the 2012 London Olympics. Farrah, Ennis and Rutherford all winning gold
2) Ashes 2005 2nd test at Edgbaston for the edge of your seat drama and gutted Australians
3) Rugby World Cup Final 2003, England win and have I mentioned about gutted Aussies

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1926 Huddersfield Town is the first team to win the football league 3 times in a row. Loved to have been at that last game game and to meet the great Herbert Chapman.
1976 James Hunt wins F1 World title in Japan
1977 August 11th Headingly. Geoff Boycott scores his 100th 100 geoff-boycott-100th-hundred-1853238.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Locally

1) Japan v South Africa- Last minute try. Biggest upset in Rugby Union history. Watched internationally by millions. Live from little old Brighton. I didn't buy a ticket as I thought the match would be 'too one-sided'.....
2) Newcastle 1979. I was only ten and listened at home.
3) Sussex winning the County Championship for the first time in 2003. Should have gone to that last morning.

International

1) Rugby World Cup, Sydney 2003
2) Super Saturday. London Olympics 2012
3) Germany v England, Munich 2001

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Will avoid Albion stuff... Half they joy is not knowing.

1. Final day - Aus v WI Adelaide 1961. To watch a genuine pair of tail enders survive that Windies onslaught for 1 and a half hours would have been great.

That's not quite right: the last pair did bat for 100 minutes but they weren't both tail-enders. One of them was Slasher Mackay, a bloke with a first-class average of 43 (probably worth about 55 these days) and, as his nickname suggests, he was a blocker par excellence.

I'm also not sure that onslaught is the right word: it was pretty much an all-spin attack they had to face. It was an impressive display of batting though - Valentine, Gibbs and Sobers were no mug bowlers.

The 1st test in the series - the tied one - strikes me as a better option. That was nearly one of my three but I didn't want all cricket

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
1926 Huddersfield Town is the first team to win the football league 3 times in a row. Loved to have been at that last game game and to meet the great Herbert Chapman.
1976 James Hunt wins F1 World title in Japan
1977 August 11th Headingly. Geoff Boycott scores his 100th 100View attachment 76640

And he didn't run anyone out... Unlike the previous Test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwuo4RZRjDU

I'd like to have seen Hendrick and Botham bowling in that match.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
That's not quite right: the last pair did bat for 100 minutes but they weren't both tail-enders. One of them was Slasher Mackay, a bloke with a first-class average of 43 (probably worth about 55 these days) and, as his nickname suggests, he was a blocker par excellence.

I'm also not sure that onslaught is the right word: it was pretty much an all-spin attack they had to face. It was an impressive display of batting though - Valentine, Gibbs and Sobers were no mug bowlers.

The 1st test in the series - the tied one - strikes me as a better option. That was nearly one of my three but I didn't want all cricket
Ok so Mackay was no mug with the bat. Kline was a rabbit. Onslaught doesnt always refer to pace either. But this was an uncovered last day pitch and no expectations. I love a rear guard action and this is one of the best IMO. I know the drawn test makes more headlines but this is the one I would like to have watched.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
1970 World Cup Final Brazil vs Italy
Steve Redgrave's 5th Gold Medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics
Bob Beamon's world record long jump at the 1968 Mexico Olympics.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I wouldn't go back to anything where I was there as I doubt it would be as good as the memory (other than 3) so that rules out most BHAFC moments.

1) England winning the world cup, self explantory
2) FA Cup Final 1983, missed it
3) My first goal for my school. In my mind it was a 30 yard screamer, would like to watch it to see if it was actually a 5 yard bobbler.

And because I've just thought of a fourth, Botham, Headingley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here