Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Historical Naval Dockyard

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm reading that the Mary Rose is finally open to panoramic display.

The exhibition there looks awesome. Also there appears to be a lot else to see including HMS Victory.

Has anyone been there in recent times ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of the best days out in England, too much to do really, you may need two trips to see it all and relatively cheap, about 25 quid for an adult.
You also get tickets for HMS Alliance in Gosport, a harbour boat trip, HMS Warrior, Royal Marine Museum at Southsea, Clarence Yard, as well as the Victory, and the Mary Rose.
I don't know if your ticket is still valid for a return visit within a year, but it was last time I went, 2 years ago

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I went 3 months ago for the first time and really enjoyed it (kids will love it too). We found out about MR display when we were there and we will go back in the summer hols to have a look. Th tickets you get are valid for 12 months so you can go again if you want to.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks chaps. I think a visit this week. My Dad is very elderly but may be upset if he's not offered the chance (ex-navy man). I'll talk to him.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I took my boys aged 9+7 last year, and returned this year FOC.

Last year, we did the Submarine, Warrior and Action Stations. - All very good.

Came back this year for Explosions Museum (The beginning bit about gunpowder times was very good, but towards the middle/end was a bit disappointing TBH, dated, exhibits missing/not working, and no staff to help/guide) onto Victory (wow, excellent, really good on board advisers etc) and lastly a quick spin around Mary Rose mini exhibition.

All in, 9/10 and would like to squeeze in MR before pass runs out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The latest exhibition is of the Battle of Jutland which was opened in May by the Princess Royal. The bell from HMS Hood is in there, as it was presented to Hood, by Lady Hood to commemorate Admiral Hood who was at Jutland.

As said, the submarine museum at Gosport, is worth a visit and included in the ticket.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Might want to bear in mind that the Americas cup is in Portsmouth later this week, will be RAMMERS

Thanks. That I didn't know.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I believe that the year pass is only available online. It's a strange thing these days and is the same at Chatham - buy a ticket online for less and it's valid for a year, or pay more on the gate and only use it for one day!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If he's a member of the RNA or British Legion, he'll get a reduced price.

I spoke to him. He's coming hell or high water. If he can survive a stint in the Holy Land he can walk around a dockyard at 85 with accompanying stick.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I believe that the year pass is only available online. It's a strange thing these days and is the same at Chatham - buy a ticket online for less and it's valid for a year, or pay more on the gate and only use it for one day!

We paid on the day for our family ticket and that is valid for the year. Weirdly it was cheaper to pay for 2 Adults and 2 child under the family ticket than pay for 2 adults and one child (which was all we needed).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The latest exhibition is of the Battle of Jutland which was opened in May by the Princess Royal. The bell from HMS Hood is in there, as it was presented to Hood, by Lady Hood to commemorate Admiral Hood who was at Jutland.

As said, the submarine museum at Gosport, is worth a visit and included in the ticket.

Did they recover HMS Hood's bell? I thought it went down with all hands when a shell from the Bismarck hit the central magazine, and the wreck is a war grave?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did they recover HMS Hood's bell? I thought it went down with all hands when a shell from the Bismarck hit the central magazine, and the wreck is a war grave?

There were three survivors, one being Ted Briggs, whom I knew. The bell was recovered last August as it was discovered to have blown clear of the main wreckage, when it was discovered in 2001. A film was taken & shown to the Hood Association. Ted was one of those who said he would want it recovered because the relatives had no grave or headstone to visit. The Association took a vote on it, because it was shown to be recoverable without disturbing any remains. We applied to the MOD for permission, which was granted. Three years ago the first attempt was made but weather made it impossible to carry out.
The Museum people responsible for treating the Mary Rose, cleaned up the bell, and it went on display in May. I was there at the ceremony as I am a member of the Association, and my Dad served on Hood from 1937-1939.

November 2015
Hood 3 November 2015.jpg

May 2016
Hood's bell May 2016.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There were three survivors, one being Ted Briggs, whom I knew. The bell was recovered last August as it was discovered to have blown clear of the main wreckage, when it was discovered in 2001. A film was taken & shown to the Hood Association. Ted was one of those who said he would want it recovered because the relatives had no grave or headstone to visit. The Association took a vote on it, because it was shown to be recoverable without disturbing any remains. We applied to the MOD for permission, which was granted. Three years ago the first attempt was made but weather made it impossible to carry out.
The Museum people responsible for treating the Mary Rose, cleaned up the bell, and it went on display in May. I was there at the ceremony as I am a member of the Association, and my Dad served on Hood from 1937-1939.

November 2015
View attachment 76637

May 2016
View attachment 76638

fantastic story...you must have felt very proud!

Hood was a beautifully crafted ship...it was almost a pocket battle ship ( more a heavy cruiser compared with the Rodney and Prince of wales class ships) Tragic waste of human life!!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Amazing, looks to be in one piece after all that ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Amazing, looks to be in one piece after all that ?

Yes, it's completely in one piece. It cleaned up well too.
We still have some veterans, from prior to 1941, in the Association, and relatives of those lost, so it means a lot to them, to have something tangible from the ship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here