Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the new points system in Scotland take off

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The new format to the old League Cup as it was is thus

Groups of 5 teams play each other once. Every match has 3 points up for grabs. If there is a winner after 90 minutes the winner takes all 3 points.

If there is a draw they get 1 point each but then they have a penalty shoot out to see who takes the extra point.

I can't see that it would take off in the league because midweek matches there are often travel time constraints for away fans but it could be a good format for World Cups and European Championships

Any thoughts ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds like the same points system proposed for the re-vamped EFL Trophy.

I quite like it for cup mini-leagues.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If this was thought up by the Americans, people would be pissing themselves laughing. And rightly so, it's a sh1t idea. The beauty of football is in its low scoring scoring system - a brave, back to the wall, earnt draw is exactly that - spoils shared. Equally, if you control possession but can't stick it in the onion bag, tough tits, you don't win. No gimmicky bollox please.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tennis_monkey_poster-9591.jpg

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The new format to the old League Cup as it was is thus

Groups of 5 teams play each other once. Every match has 3 points up for grabs. If there is a winner after 90 minutes the winner takes all 3 points.

If there is a draw they get 1 point each but then they have a penalty shoot out to see who takes the extra point.

I can't see that it would take off in the league because midweek matches there are often travel time constraints for away fans but it could be a good format for World Cups and European Championships

Any thoughts ?

On the upside, it might prevent people streaming out before the game is finished. Especially if fans, who like me, love to watch Penalty Shoot outs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why not have 2 points for each goal scored, 1 point for each corner awarded, and deduct 3 points for each sendng off, 2 for each booking and 1 point for each foul. That way anyone could still be relegated or promoted in the final league game of the season.

The move to 3 points for a win was enough no more alterations are required,

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Would make games more defensive and therefore boring. I remember how dull games would become before they introduced the 3 point for a game in the late 70s/early 80s and all it would do is encourage weaker teams to shut up shop more so than they would do normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only points change I would say is to give a bonus point in the league for any team scoring 4 goals 2 points for 6 goals 3 for 8 goals and so forth adding apoint per 2 goals. Cup ties should all be straight 1 game and knock out with extra time and penalties.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I would prefer 1 point each for a goalless draw, 2 points each for a score draw 5 points for a win. The absolute minimum use of penalties to award points please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here