Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Paint question

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Hi there, doing some painting soon and need to know, does a sealed (used) can of eggshell paint last ok? It's been in a box in the shed for 5 years or so. Can I save myself a few quid or will it be good to go after a thorough stirring?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I reckon it could be OK, I used some that was 3 years or so old recently and it was fine after a good stir.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My old man stores old paint upside down in a plastic bag. So if he decides to open it again years down the line the crusty layer will be the bottom of the tin rather than the top.

Seems like a good idea, as in theory the lid won't be sealed shut with dry paint, no idea if it works though.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My old man stores old paint upside down in a plastic bag. So if he decides to open it again years down the line the crusty layer will be the bottom of the tin rather than the top.

Seems like a good idea, as in theory the lid won't be sealed shut with dry paint, no idea if it works though.

Had to read that three times before I realised the paint was hung up in a bag in its tin and not having been poured directly into the bag for storage or poured into a tin lined with a bag! (Excuse - I have had a couple of beers)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There is no exp date printed on cans of paint , Oil based paints can last 20 odd years if unopened, however an opened tin typically has a 2-4 year life span. For best results take it to your local paint shop and ask them to shake it for you I'm sure they will oblige if you purchase a few new brushes or something. I would still sieve it before use if it looks reasonable. (Source) I own a paint shop :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Paint is much like food, once opened to the elements its life reduces rapidly. If you apply it and it's off the smell won't be nice .... on the other hand check out these local guys www.newlifepaints.com doing good things for the environment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You might need to add a drop of thinner so it goes on nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here