Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luton Town Friendly

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Watch Nathan's team turn us over. It won't matter of course because pre season means nothing as does not having a full squad in place two weeks before the season starts.

So negative. In fairness Luton have a strong looking team out today. We are splitting ours between two games so, while we would rather win both, you shouldn't be too annoyed if we lose one or both but I am sure NSC will go into meltdown

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did not having a full squad in place last season at this time make the slightest bit of difference ?
(we mad 5 more signings after about this date)

Probably not but having one central defender fit and the subject of bids is not ideal. We also have other players who may leave yet so not really comparable to last season IMO. I thought we might hit the ground running this season given how close we came last year when avoiding relegation was the target for me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm giving all the friendlies a miss this year for the first time in 40 years. V disappointed by the lack of signings, in particular the long awaited permanent striker.

We have two quality strikers at this level to start the season with and Baldock as back up. If it was as easy as you seem to suggest, every team would have a 25 goal striker.

Given where we are, a centre back is a much bigger priority

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Probably not but having one central defender fit and the subject of bids is not ideal. We also have other players who may leave yet so not really comparable to last season IMO. I thought we might hit the ground running this season given how close we came last year when avoiding relegation was the target for me.

This time last season we still needed 2 fit Centre backs (we signed 2 ) and Dunk & Stephens were about to come under pressure to leave with big bids coming in. (We turned em down. ) and a key player signed a new contract late in the day.
Is this really so different this year ?

(apart from still having the entire squad in place who finished 3rd, with 89 points and top scorers in the league instead of the bare bones of a squad who finished 20th).

CHEER UP ICY.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I FEAR for US this season, this squad is nowhere near good enough and should have been ENHANCED by now. Sloppy dealings again, back to the bad old days of trying to do it on the cheap

I don't usually react to your drivel but are you seriously suggesting that pretty much the same squad that won 13 and lost 1 of the last 20 games last season is nowhere near good enough?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Probably not but having one central defender fit and the subject of bids is not ideal. .

and get used to teams bidding for our players. We wouldn't have much of a squad if they didn't. It is ideal. Its what competing at the top of the Championship is all about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and get used to teams bidding for our players. We wouldn't have much of a squad if they didn't. It is ideal. Its what competing at the top of the Championship is all about.

True, I should just get my bobble hat out and expect us to win the league every season!

As you may have gathered I'm a negative fecker by nature :smile:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It may well be a "orrible place" and the Amex/Sky Sports generation will call Kenilworth Road a shit ol, however for old boys like me and for most with nostalgic memories of the Goldstone it's one of the last remaining 'real' grounds.

It was also one of the last few away games on the run in to promotion in 79.

I think we only drew that day (memory getting fuzzy), but it was a huge turnout from the Albion faithful and I really can't work out how we all fitted in that day.

It's not a great town to visit, but the stadium is unique. I've generally enjoyed games there.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It was also one of the last few away games on the run in to promotion in 79.

I think we only drew that day (memory getting fuzzy), but it was a huge turnout from the Albion faithful and I really can't work out how we all fitted in that day.

It's not a great town to visit, but the stadium is unique. I've generally enjoyed games there.
1-1. Late equaliser from Teddy Maybank.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't think Glenn Murray has touched the ball yet.

theboybilly

It may well be a "orrible place" and the Amex/Sky Sports generation will call Kenilworth Road a shit ol, however for old boys like me and for most with nostalgic memories of the Goldstone it's one of the last remaining 'real' grounds.

Except it's not really. Three-quarters of the ground are no longer terracing; behind one goal is (I admit) an interesting 'stepped' roof. But behind the other goal (which used to be open to the elements) is a cheap-build stand of the type you can see anywhere. Quite what they were thinking when designing their Executive boxes along one side of the pitch I don't know (I've had the use of one, they're not good). The only remnant of an 'old-style' stand is the Main Stand which has had (probably) the worst view of any stand in the country for decades. To think this place has hosted top-flight football too. Still, it is what it is and there's no room at all for major improvement, but I would never describe it as an Old School ground.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I take on board your concerns, (particularly in the central defence department), but who is to say that we won't hit the ground running this season too?

The real action doesn't start for a couple of weeks. These friendlies really are meaningless in terms of results, and to some extent performances too.

God willing, we will see a very different Brighton and Hove Albion at Derby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here