Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nanking Chinese

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any of the oldies on here remember this in Market St. It was the first Chinese I ever went to in about 1960/1. Dont think it is still there now but I havent been down that road for years. Probably one of the first in Brighton.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
tilly-cat-435.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember it from early /mid 70s. Think it was probably the first Chinese I went to .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
i believe it's now the Nanjing Chinese. Happened around the time Peking Duck was rebranded as Beijing Duck :moo:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I remember Roy Castle playing Buttons in the Christmas pantomime at the hippodrome and we waited for autographs outside the stage door. To young to go to the pub or club afterwards :tantrum:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I worked in Walter Gillett over the road in the sixties so spent a lot of the day looking out the shop window watching for young ladies walking past, but mostly looking at the front of the Nanking Chinese Restaurant and it's customers.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Blimey! That means Nanking Chinese and I are about the same age......................never have eaten there though.............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Went to the Chunking just up from the clocktower, mid 60's, near where BHA's shop was.

That was my first Chinese too. I remember that it was a treat to stop for their set lunch - back in the days when Chinese food was seen as something exotic.

I remember Nanking too ... and Choys in East St, they were both seen as a bit more upmarket Chinese. Pretty sure Nanking used to advertise at the local flicks: " ... just five minutes away from this cinema."

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I do remember the grainy cinema adverts for it when I was a child, never went there though.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I remember the Nanking and Choys as a little on the posh side. The Chungking near the Clock Tower had one of the longest menus I have ever seen.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Remember the Nanking in the early sixties. Stories abounded that cat and dog were the principle ingredients. I believe many times the food inspectors made unexpected visits and found rat droppings.Very popular after a skinful in the Druids Head. Strangely enough I was thinking of their watery mushroom soup last week. Choys was the Chinese of choice but Nanking was the cheap introduction to Chinese food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here