Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something pretty cool has just happened...(video game related)

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
When I was a lad of about 12, I adored gaming. But one game in particular had me going back for YEARS! That game was Kick Off 2 on the Amiga 500.
Today I found out I'll be forever immortalised in the remake, Kick Off Revival on Playstation 4 as a referee!
12 year old me is bouncing off the walls right now, whereas 37 year old me is cracking a beer open and feeling super nostalgic 😊👍

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
I also played this game to death in the 90's. Amiga 600 was my weapon of choice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Sensible Soccer was far better IMHO but at the time kick off filled a whole until SWOS can around.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was a Sensible Soccer fanatic on The Amiga, then Sensible World of Soccer was just heaven. No football game since did it for me. I had a PS1 & PS2 but nothing on them ever came close to SWOS.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hopefully this patch will fix the missing features that should have been in when it was released. Very frustrating game but satisfying when it works. I wish Dino wouldn't take everything so personally - the feud between him and Kick Off World is very, very bitter and unnecessary. I listen to the Retro Asylum podcast and they needed some money to set up a website. Dino donated £500 for no payback other than karma.

Back in the day I thought I was good at KO. I entered a competition in some seedy hotel in Hove and lost something like 16-0 on aggregate in the first round. Can't quite get the hang of Kick Off Revival but managed to hold two of the top ten online players to a draw. It was like the Alamo and I just hit them on the break. Definitely a game for those who played KO back in the day as with no instructions, it is rock hard and kids will get bored quickly.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Looks like a Sensible Soccer revival is coming some time soon too! Sociable Soccer!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
When I was a lad of about 12, I adored gaming. But one game in particular had me going back for YEARS! That game was Kick Off 2 on the Amiga 500.
Today I found out I'll be forever immortalised in the remake, Kick Off Revival on Playstation 4 as a referee!
12 year old me is bouncing off the walls right now, whereas 37 year old me is cracking a beer open and feeling super nostalgic ����

Seeing as no one else is asking! WTF! How did that come about? Any images?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Seeing as no one else is asking! WTF! How did that come about? Any images?
Dino Dini does a Twitch feed of him developing the game and sent out a tweet last night saying anyone who wanted to be a ref needed to get on the stream. It's quite interesting to watch occasionally as although you can't see the code, you can see the thought processes as he troubleshoots. You also get rants from time to time as he takes any criticism way too personally. It is a game that was unfinished at release - a fact that he won't acknowledge. There were no cards, no subs, no penalty shootouts, no refs, no online leaderboard rankings outside of the top 30, no skill levels, no way of adjusting the match length, no options other than one off game or Euro competition or online play etc. Most of these are being addressed in the patch he is working on but a combination of the game being rock hard and seemingly incomplete has meant that it has been panned by a lot of people. It annoyed me when I first got it but with a bit of perseverance you can sort of get the hang of it and there is a good game in there - provided you liked the originals. Modern gamers will be turned off by the hardness and lack of option as well as the fact that with no offsides, it is very much an arcade game. Fascinating to watch the way the programmer deals with criticism in a human interest kind of way. Getting players to help beta test via Twitch and Netplay is a very good idea. But suggest improvements with extreme caution!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Kick Off 2 was a brilliant game. I bought the SNES version for about a fiver from the pre-owned bargain bin in EB. It had been out a few years by then and I think the first FIFA was already available, but I still spent endless hours playing it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
12 year old me is bouncing off the walls right now, whereas 37 year old me is cracking a beer open and feeling super nostalgic 😊👍
I preferred the 'Player Manager' sequel they did :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Me too, often playing torneys on a Sunday with mates with me cruiser in hand

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
12 year old me is bouncing off the walls right now, whereas 37 year old me is cracking a beer open and feeling super nostalgic

Trouble is when the PS5 comes out and nobody is playing Kick Off Revival you will fade away :(

I had the same excitement in 1985 (except it was the 14 year old me) when I went over to Pevensey Bay for 2 days, got paid £50 a day (which was a fortune to young me) just to play a new computer game and give my input. My other reward was to be immortalised in the high score table on the Spectrum and Amstrad versions which of course reset every time you loaded the game. Shame the game was a bit pants, it was Geoff Capes Strong Man

screenshot.png

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here