Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying ants

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bugger all in Hove right now, but it will probably occur in the next day or two with high temperatures finally happening in the UK. Tuesday I reckon.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
National flying ant day. Today is the day when the little bugger so leave the nest for pastures new to start new colonies. The birds have a field day feasting on them. Only problem being the ants contain an acid that when consumed in vast amounts by birds makes the birds act as if they are drunk. Hence why quite a few seagulls end up as road kill

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
National flying ant day. Today is the day when the little bugger so leave the nest for pastures new to start new colonies. The birds have a field day feasting on them. Only problem being the ants contain an acid that when consumed in vast amounts by birds makes the birds act as if they are drunk. Hence why quite a few seagulls end up as road kill

Quite correct about the acid, utterly wrong about the 'national' bit, all down to local weather conditions.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ants are supremely fast>>>>>>>>ant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ant-i was watching them the other day,like you do,well was on my lunch break actually and whilst enjoying my sandwich i looked down,there they were whizzing about all over the place,in terms of body size to acceleration ratio,they must be among the fastest creatures on Earth.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The little blighters are out in my garden in Southwick at the moment. Got a couple of anthills.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I also had an attempted infestation out of nowhere by a swarm of them these ***** this afternoon. Killed them all with fly-spray, of which I have now run out.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I also had an attempted infestation out of nowhere by a swarm of them these ***** this afternoon. Killed them all with fly-spray, of which I have now run out.

Best hope they don't find you tonight(whilst zzzzzzzz)......1 million ants could devour a human in a heartbeat.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

LOL LOL LOL LOL..................such a nature lover

I have never heard of flying ant day....................................the learning never ends on NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Incredible timing from the flying ants of High Salvington today.

Not a single one to be seen until the food came off the BBQ, and then approximately 74 zillion appeared out of nowhere.

As soon as the food was eaten they were gone again.

If the BBQ was the play-offs, the flying ants were Sheffield Wednesday supporters.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
LOL LOL LOL LOL..................such a nature lover

I have never heard of flying ant day....................................the learning never ends on NSC

They appeared to be ant like and some had wings and appeared mid afternoon in the heat. I'm not an entomologist, let alone an expert on such things though. They were a concern though.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Maybe Brighton is Flying Ant Capital of the W0000000orrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here