Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School holidays

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
So Brighton Council is giving all school children an extra week off during October half term, so the parents can afford off-peak holidays

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...lidays/ar-BBuoYhU?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

Apart from the fact that it is grey and wintery at the end of October and not every one will want to take time off then ..

Parents will now have to take five days annual leave for the extra week, or pay £200-600 a week for holiday childcare

So now everyone will be worse off financially, plus all children will miss out on a week's lessons.

Genius move there by the council

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
So Brighton Council is giving all school children an extra week off during October half term, so the parents can afford off-peak holidays

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...lidays/ar-BBuoYhU?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

It is not extra all they've done is reshuffle the dates adding a week in October and regaining those five days around September, Christmas and Easter

Apart from the fact that it is grey and wintery at the end of October and not every one will want to take time off then ..

Parents will now have to take five days annual leave for the extra week, or pay £200-600 a week for holiday childcare

So now everyone will be worse off financially, plus all children will miss out on a week's lessons.

October can be grey but it can also be nice, I remember watching the veteran cars come in from London in blazing hot weather last autumn, and that was the first weekend in November. As this year has shown summer isn't a guarentee of sunny weather either.

The other points you make are nonsense as the days have been taken from elsewhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just the other day I was sitting there saying to a mate " Mate, you know what I reckon kids could really use? A bit more time off school. 16 weeks just doesn't seem enough somehow".

FS

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bloody hell. They try to do something to help people, and you moan about it.

Is there anything else you'd like them to do to make your life easier? It's probably grey and wintery for the standard week in October when they already get time off, but I don't see you complaining.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other points you make are nonsense as the days have been taken from elsewhere.

Well no. My wife will still have to take an extra week's (unpaid) annual leave, no matter how nice the weather is, that's a bit of a financial hit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why didnt they just shift the holiday one week later, same effect for holiday prices (as long as no on else does it), same amount of time off for required parents?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bloody hell. They try to do something to help people, and you moan about it.

Is there anything else you'd like them to do to make your life easier? It's probably grey and wintery for the standard week in October when they already get time off, but I don't see you complaining.

The whole point from the Council was to assist parents. If you work where your holiday time is set by the employer, this has no effect on you at all.
If you can not afford a foreign holiday, then this second week in October will probably cost you more anyway. The odds are that the weather will be poorer than at the times from where the 5 days have been taken, so the changes of taking the children out for free are reduced, due to the weather, which will mean paying from trips to the cinema, and elsewhere.
Also given dynamic pricing by on line tour companies, the flight and holiday prices will rise.
At least the Albion may get a few more youngsters to the home Wolves game as this in the half term period.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was in the radio a couple of weeks ago that somewhere in Devon is doing similar in June just by putting the inset days into 1 block. Also it saves a lot of money for the council by extending a holiday in winter by reducing the heating costs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The whole point from the Council was to assist parents. If you work where your holiday time is set by the employer, this has no effect on you at all.
If you can not afford a foreign holiday, then this second week in October will probably cost you more anyway. The odds are that the weather will be poorer than at the times from where the 5 days have been taken, so the changes of taking the children out for free are reduced, due to the weather, which will mean paying from trips to the cinema, and elsewhere.
Also given dynamic pricing by on line tour companies, the flight and holiday prices will rise.
At least the Albion may get a few more youngsters to the home Wolves game as this in the half term period.

Are there many people where their holidays are set by the employer? I know there are some engineering firms that have shutdowns so as to carry out annual maintenance but that doesn't account for all of someone's holiday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well no. My wife will still have to take an extra week's (unpaid) annual leave, no matter how nice the weather is, that's a bit of a financial hit.

I think you might need to explain a bit more. Does your wife work at a school in a different area whose holiday period is different?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are there many people where their holidays are set by the employer? I know there are some engineering firms that have shutdowns so as to carry out annual maintenance but that doesn't account for all of someone's holiday.

My youngest son works for a building company who do a lot of school work so he is not permitted to take any holiday during school holidays and he has 3 school age children

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My kids already get a two week half-term in October, and it's a royal pain in the AR5E.

You could have stuck them in a state school and saved yourself thousands of pounds a year, but Brighton Council have ****ed that right up for you now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here