Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

Jul 7, 2016
Like many NSC folks, going to Turkey was always a guaranteed way of having a fairly cheap holiday with lovely weather and sandy beaches, decent food etc.

Following the recent attempted coup this looks increasingly likely to change. Whether it was a genuine attempt at a coup by the largely secular army or even orchestratrated by the Turkish president himself to allow a crackdown, either way the results will be country changing.

The president is an Islamist who will use this as an excuse to sack all of the secular judges and replace them with more hard-line Islamist judges, ditto for the army where he will get rid of the many secular generals and so it goes on.

In the next fee years, turkey will end up much more hard-line and closer to Iran in its laws and freedoms than a European country. It wouldn't now be allowed in the Eu but it also means unless you are insane, it is also now crossed off the list of countries to holiday in, which for me is a real shame.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Guy on the radio yeaterday said Erdovan (or whatever his name is) will use this an excuse to grab even more power for himself and will become a new Saddam Hussein. Scary.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Like many NSC folks, going to Turkey was always a guaranteed way of having a fairly cheap holiday with lovely weather and sandy beaches, decent food etc.

Following the recent attempted coup this looks increasingly likely to change. Whether it was a genuine attempt at a coup by the largely secular army or even orchestratrated by the Turkish president himself to allow a crackdown, either way the results will be country changing.

The president is an Islamist who will use this as an excuse to sack all of the secular judges and replace them with more hard-line Islamist judges, ditto for the army where he will get rid of the many secular generals and so it goes on.

In the next fee years, turkey will end up much more hard-line and closer to Iran in its laws and freedoms than a European country. It wouldn't now be allowed in the Eu but it also means unless you are insane, it is also now crossed off the list of countries to holiday in, which for me is a real shame.

As far as your final paragraph is concerned, it's far too early to assume that will be the case. Let's all wait and see how things pan out once things have calmed down a bit. The next few months could be telling.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Must admit, Mrs P and I have holidayed in Turkey quite a few times in recent years but made a conscious decision not to this year.

Guy on the radio yeaterday said Erdovan (or whatever his name is) will use this an excuse to grab even more power for himself and will become a new Saddam Hussein. Scary.

It would not surprise me to learn that he masterminded the whole thing himself for just that reason.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Nevermind, I hear the union of the snake is on the rise.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My brother is going there in 2 weeks with his family not sure what his thoughts are.
The Greek Islands are generally better anyway.
I suppose that if any probs crop up instead of coming home you could use your flight jump on a ferry to Samos for example and get a room for a week or 2.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003

No need to worry. We will send Boris out there to sort them out and get us a 1st class trade deal. Think he already has pretty good relations with the Turkish president?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Love the place but it can get pretty messy

11378429_370855049778149_438102384_n.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've never been. I've always heard nice things about holidays there, but their lack of human rights has put me off going.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS LIVING THERE NOW....

If you are coming for a holiday you have absolutely nothing to worry about... unless perhaps if you go to certain parts of Istanbul. There is no chance at all of Turkey becoming fundamentalist... no way it'll become another Iran. If it starts going that way I'll be the first to leave and I'll let you all know. Now going for a Bomonti (the best Turkish beer) on my beach.

p.s. Those interested in conspiracy theory.... most of us think they knew about the takeover last week but decided to let it go ahead, prepared to smash it at the earliest opportunity, were able to make a few people not go ahead with the conspiracy at the last minute ensure its failure, and are now reaping the political profits of being seen as the conquering heroes for democracy. it was certainly the most incompetent military takeover in Turkish history

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
11879130_10153557501001410_564163459238315987_o-2.jpg

Shithole like this you mean? (view from the balcony of my holiday house)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
View attachment 76604

Shithole like this you mean? (view from the balcony of my holiday house)

You can get nice views anywhere. Like places that don't treat women like shit. Sorry, I'm glad you like it but it has a terrible reputation that didn't disappoint when I went there. Awful place.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ok... you are right in that there are a lot of things that could be better but that's true of many countries. The last 72 hours have been very frightening believe me and we are now considering the possibility of leaving which we wouldn't have done before....but now it's a case of wait and see... for me shithole is too much though... then England is shithole, France is a shithole, US a shithole because I've seen bad places there and bad behaviour too.... politically though things have been pretty awful last three days and who knows what will happen. Still, that's for us who live here or for those who don't just come for a holiday.... in the holiday resorts you'll hardly even notice it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Nope that the tops of the shades after they've taken the coverings off.... good one though ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here