Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic opening new safe standing section

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Celtic opened their new 2,900-capacity safe standing section in their first home game under Brendan Rodgers.

Rail seating has been installed in the north-east corner of Celtic Park and fans populated the area for Saturday's 2-1 friendly win over Wolfsburg.

The Scottish champions were granted a safe-standing licence in June last year by Glasgow City Council.

"This is another step in the redevelopment of Celtic Park," said the club.

"This is an exciting development for fans reared on the songs and stories from the old Celtic Park and the iconic Jungle. But it's also a major step forward in improving the safety and security of supporters."

Scotland is not bound by the law that banned standing areas in the top two divisions in England in 1994, following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

The issue about whether to allow some standing areas has been revisited since then (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25269939)

Prior to the merger of the Scottish Premier League with the Scottish Football League to form the Scottish Professional Football League in 2013, top-flight clubs were given the all clear to have safe-standing areas within their stadiums.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36816657

I wonder if it's only a matter of time now before Safe Standing will be allowed in this country

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If the jocks can do it (safely), then surely this will only expand & one day...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If the jocks can do it (safely), then surely this will only expand & one day...
The scots are probably saying the same about us being able to drink alcohol in stadium bars.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One step on the road to undoing a colossally erroneous knee jerk reaction. It's taken far too long.

I actually like sitting down at matches nowadays but I do recall that I loved standing when I was younger. I was at a Dynamo Dresden match last year and they have a section for ''safe standing'' and that part of the ground was absolutely ''rocking''

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hypothetically speaking, if the North Stand were adapted for safe standing I wonder what the increase would be in the Amex's capacity? 33,000 maybe?

I'm not sure that the capacity would change as the spaces for people to stand in are usually about the same size as a seat. http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/what-does-safe-standing-look-like/
Seats may still be needed for European competition so the seat rail may be the way they go if allowing this rather than a true terrace

All it would do is potentially cost clubs money in removing seats and possibly lower income if it's cheaper to stand rather than have a seat (clubs may not be that keen for this reason especially if they are near capacity or unlikely to see an increase in attendance as a result) however i think fans should be able to have a choice and there is a demand for standing at grounds.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hypothetically speaking, if the North Stand were adapted for safe standing I wonder what the increase would be in the Amex's capacity? 33,000 maybe?

Would probably be the mysterious, yet,currently unobtainable,magic 35,000 that has been touted in the past that the Amex is capable to be taken too,without major overhaul,yet cannot at the moment......I would go further and say that perhaps IF we get a similar license,that it will only be for the NORTH.

Speculation on my part.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

The Spurs fan is against it.

One step on the road to undoing a colossally erroneous knee jerk reaction. It's taken far too long.

The knee jerk reaction after 30 years of terrace violence:moo:

ROCKING

Attachments

• _90419695_safe-standing.jpg
    _90419695_safe-standing.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 297

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The knee jerk reaction after 30 years of terrace violence:moo:

ROCKING

Terrace violence was one of the big attractions back in the day. Having stood on the Kop with rivers of piss running down the steps and being crushed up against the barriers whenever there was a surge was probably enough fun for me tbh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure that the capacity would change as the spaces for people to stand in are usually about the same size as a seat.I thought with rail seats the ratio was something like 3 spectators to every two seats which I think effectively increases the capacity of that area by 50%. http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/what-does-safe-standing-look-like/
Seats may still be needed for European competition so the seat rail may be the way they go if allowing this rather than a true terrace. Surely we already know that they will be required to have seats for European competitions.

All it would do is potentially cost clubs money in removing seats and possibly lower income if it's cheaper to stand rather than have a seat (clubs may not be that keen for this reason especially if they are near capacity or unlikely to see an increase in attendance as a result) however i think fans should be able to have a choice and there is a demand for standing at grounds.

For the club to have safe standing they would have to have a change to the safety certificate, probably have to demonstrate changes to the transport provisions, get amendments to the planning permissions etc etc.

I don't necessarily agree that there should be much of a reduction on the entry fee. If people want to stand then maybe they should be the ones that foot the bill for any conversion costs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if it's only a matter of time now before Safe Standing will be allowed in this country

Problem for us is that it requires a change in the law, whereas they operate under a different legal system in Scotland.

I don't imagine drafting new legislation regarding standing at English football matches is high on the Government's list of priorities right now, unfortunately. I also think there may not be a great appetite amongst English clubs for it to happen, primarily because they'd have to drop ticket prices for standing admissions, which in many cases- and regrettably I very much include the Albion in this- they won't want to even contemplate.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Problem for us is that it requires a change in the law, whereas they operate under a different legal system in Scotland.

I don't imagine drafting new legislation regarding standing at English football matches is high on the Government's list of priorities right now, unfortunately. I also think there may not be a great appetite amongst English clubs for it to happen, primarily because they'd have to drop ticket prices for standing admissions, which in many cases- and regrettably I very much include the Albion in this- they won't want to even contemplate.

Agree with all but the last bit....think many people would be willing to pay for the chance to stand.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree with all but the last bit....think many people would be willing to pay for the chance to stand.

But I don't think you'd get substantially more people coming to football matches (who aren't already coming). It'd just be the same people who already go, in the main, only paying less for the privilege. Which is why the clubs won't be keen: the only possible gain for them would be in terms of atmosphere.

I suppose clubs who are struggling to attract crowds might be more up for it: it might appeal to former fans who are staying away. And I guess if you're a club who regularly sells out games, then the chance to increase capacity and thus get more people inside the ground might be worth it.

But for clubs like the Albion, who already have decent crowds, who have a stadium regularly more than three quarters full, but not quite to capacity, it wouldn't make financial sense as far as I can see.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So lets assume the cost to convert the North Stand is £500,000 (only used to illustrate) would there be enough people to pay for this cost if the Albion said we aren't going to pay for it,b ut if the fans raise 100% of the cost we will, and the reduction in ticket price is only the difference between ticket prices is keep the same income

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I remember when the Falmer plans were first being considered (when we were at Withdean or maybe even Gillingham) and Martin Perry saying how much the club owed its survival in 1997 to the support from the Goldstone north stand and that having a standing section at the stadium would therefore be a priority.

I'd love to see it happen. As you say, for one thing it would increase capacity and the atmosphere would radically improve. Here's hoping...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here