Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any coeliacs on NSC?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
My 7 year old daughter had a positive test result for coeliac disease this week. Anyone have any tips/good sources of help and advice that they can share? My wife is away this weekend and this is making looking after my 3 littl'uns a lot trickier. I haven't really got a clue but I'm struggling through. GF sausages and homemade chips for tea. Is heinz ketchup ok?

All advice/sources of info will be much appreciated and very useful in the long term.

Thanks.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My 7 year old daughter had a positive test result for coeliac disease this week. Anyone have any tips/good sources of help and advice that they can share? My wife is away this weekend and this is making looking after my 3 littl'uns a lot trickier. I haven't really got a clue but I'm struggling through. GF sausages and homemade chips for tea. Is heinz ketchup ok?

All advice/sources of info will be much appreciated and very useful in the long term.

Thanks.

My wife has intolerance to wheat, so she has to be very careful to what she eats.
All food now has to have labelling listing what ingredients are listed.
The main allergens are normally in bold.
https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging/overview
Most supermarkets sell their own 'free from' range of foods, which are generally quite okay and a reasonably priced. :thumbsup:

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have to check the label on everything and as has been mentioned, join the coeliac society, you can get a book from them that shows everything that the supermarkets stock that you can eat. we find M & S and Tesco to be the best for labeling and stocking Gluten free food (wife has it) With regards to ketchup she says Tesco own brand is usually ok but not the Heinz according to her book some are, for example the Heinz sachets are fine but not all the bottles depending on the size (different factories i assume) wait for your foodbill to skyrocket though! :(

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
This is what Heinz say. I mean WTF?

According to the new legislation, a 'Gluten Free' claim will be permitted on foods that contain less than 20 mg/kg of gluten. Although we do not claim in Europe that Heinz Tomato Ketchup is 'Gluten Free' it does not contain any gluten containing ingredients.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My wife has intolerance to wheat, so she has to be very careful to what she eats.
All food now has to have labelling listing what ingredients are listed.
The main allergens are normally in bold.
https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging/overview
Most supermarkets sell their own 'free from' range of foods, which are generally quite okay and a reasonably priced. :thumbsup:
Yeah my wife is the same, and our niece (on her side of the family: her brother's daughter) is a full-blown coeliac. The food labelling is usually really good and neither of them have any trouble, and as my wife's had it for years (long before it became fashionable!) checking labels is second nature to us. Plus there's so much gluten-free stuff around now being coeliac isn't the problem it used to be.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Coeliac disease is not a food allergy or an intolerance, it is an autoimmune disease. In coeliac disease, eating gluten causes the lining of the small intestine to become damaged. Other parts of the body may be affected. - From Google if thats ok?!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yeah my wife is the same, and our niece (on her side of the family: her brother's daughter) is a full-blown coeliac. The food labelling is usually really good and neither of them have any trouble, and as my wife's had it for years (long before it became fashionable!) checking labels is second nature to us. Plus there's so much gluten-free stuff around now being coeliac isn't the problem it used to be.

Not sure where you live, but in Little Common, near Bexhill, they have a very good deli.

http://www.go-gluten-free-wheat-fre...hill/little-common-cheese-delicates_p536.html

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Coeliac disease is not a food allergy or an intolerance, it is an autoimmune disease. In coeliac disease, eating gluten causes the lining of the small intestine to become damaged. Other parts of the body may be affected. - From Google if thats ok?!
Yes. Unfortunately it's no laughing matter. There are many worse things clearly, but it doesn't make things easy. Especially as money is already tight.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My mum was diagnosed years ago. The Coeliac Society is an important source of help and they have an app as well as online resources. The comment that this isn't a food allergy is a critically important one, too many people have jumped on the GF bandwagon and you'll hear things like "it's pretty much GF" or "a bit won't hurt surely?" Eg when in a restaurant do they fry chips in a frier that has been used for breaded products? If so those chips are not GF unless the oil has been changed and the unit thoroughly cleaned. The good news is that there are plenty of choices these days in supermarkets and some local shops although check these places really know their stuff - learn to check everything.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

This is correct. It can be very debilitating , and in my case, it led to me suffering from a rare skin disorder (dermatitis herpeteformis)
I also became anaemic, and got quite depressed.
I was diagnosed 8 years ago, and at that time the range of gluten-free food available in supermarkets was very limited.
However, the choice now is much better. As others have said, you just need to check all the ingredients on any food you serve to a coeliac, you will find gluten is usually highlighted.
However,

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Thanks.

Yea as the smarter posters have posted she needs to avoid gluten, which is mainly flour. You'd better of dealing with The coeliac society

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My son is coeliac and vegetarian so it make things difficult for him. Sainsburys have a good range in the "free from" section.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
M & S have a small but very good range including Chicken Goujons, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, quiche, lasagna, spag bol etc

Also Real Lentil chips are lovely, Pom bears are gf, schar white bread, M & S do a lovely seeded Brown.

For food on the go in Brightin Bagel man do a lovely gf bun and are top notch re cross contamination and Wolfies of Hove for Fish and Chips., I want to try Creperie as That's all gf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here