Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three weeks today until first game of the season - are we squad ready to gain promotion?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As of this minute we need

- a striker
- a central defender
- a central midfielder

and we need to not sell Dunk, Goldson, Knockaert, Kayal, Stephens or Hemed etc. otherwise we need further quality replacements.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Are we stronger than last season?

We are certainly stronger than a year ago. Defensively we've lost Greer and Calderon but gained Goldson and Huhnemeier (who were both signed in August). In central midfield, it is effectively Sidwell for Crofts. On the wings we have strengthened a lot. A year ago it was just March and LuaLua. Now we've also signed Knockaert, Murphy and Skalak. Finally, up front, we had signed Zamora but he didn't play until late August. Murray is a very good replacement for him.

Overall, compared to the end of last season, we've not lost any first choice players (although we did lose Greer, Calderon, Zamora and Wilson who all played their part last season) while strengthening with Murray signing. I find it hard to see the logic behind some of the negativity on here. We may not be finished yet, we do need a few more players (with Russell Martin sounding like he will be one) but we were immense the second half of last season and, up until now, we've kept that squad together. I am positive about the season.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
From this time last year, yes but think both expectations and the quality of the teams that we will be competing against has also risen alongside. For Brighton there is still a lot of building to be done - when the new striker arrives, I feel a lot more people will be comfortable with launching a new promotion campaign. Wouldn't be a massive surprise if business isn't fully done until very near the transfer window closing, sometimes you need to wait until other deals have been done for the player that you seek to become available.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
XI v Forest last season;

13 Stockdale
2 Bruno
3 Greer
5 Dunk
12 Bong
20 March
7 Kayal Booked at 41mins
6 Stephens Booked at 29mins
30 Lua Lua Booked at 85mins Substituted fo rRosenior at 88'minutes
9 Baldock Booked at 60mins Substituted for O'Grady at 81'minutes
10 Hemed Substituted for Ince at 78'minutes

50'
Goal! Brighton and Hove Albion 1, Nottingham Forest 0. Kazenga Lua Lua (Brighton and Hove Albion) left footed shot from the left side of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Solly March.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/9...pionship-2015-2016-Brighton-Nottingham-Forest

One Albion player only scored below 7

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can sense the bedding beginning to get moist.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Since the playoff semi final we haven't improved enough to take us over the line, we need another striker, another CM and another defender if we're going to really do it. Otherwise we'll be looking at 5th/6th at best.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have strengthened in our weaknesses so just another couple of signings either permanent or loan and we will be there. I have full confidence in the recruitment of players.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
If Russell Martin signs as rumoured I would say we are sorted defensively. For me we could do with maybe another central midfielder unless Towell is the answer. As we all know, however, the key is the striker. Decent recruitment here will make the difference for me from play offs to chasing auto's.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There are some fairly economical options for the places we need to fill aside from a striker.

I would hope that our budget will be going into that and if we get it right, I think we will comfortably enough see ourselves over the line this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
25 men to finish Top 2 :

Stockdale
Maenpaa
Ankers ( + coaching )

Bruno
Bong
Rosenior

Dunk
Goldson
Hunemeier ( out for first weeks of season )
New CB

Kayal
Stephens
Sidwell
Towell
New CM / Ince

Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
March ( out for first weeks of season )
Lua Lua

Hemed
Murray
Baldock
New Striker
New Striker / Elvis

Loaned out :

Walton ( Luton )
O'Grady ( Burton )

Loan out or Sell :

JFC
Holla
Elvis
Ince

So to finish top 2, we need a striker and a central defender, with potential replacements for Elvis, and Ince as well.

We are in a great position today, as long as we don't sell any of the squad beyond Holla and JFC, and get the central defender and striker in before the Derby game.

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
This really is going to be the season we get promotion & I believe that we will accomplish this automatically with a top 2 spot. Had Zamora stayed fit we would have achieved this last season so I think that Murray will make the difference regardless of whomever is added to our striking options as whoever it is will only strengthen us further. This is our season. #Believe

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Better than this time last year, no better than the end of last season. I'm looking at play-offs at best again and I think we'll make a good fist of it. but the squad isn't finished yet.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
25 men to finish Top 2 :

Stockdale
Maenpaa
Ankers ( + coaching )

Bruno
Bong
Rosenior

Dunk
Goldson
Hunemeier ( out for first weeks of season )
New CB

Kayal
Stephens
Sidwell
Towell
New CM / Ince

Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
March ( out for first weeks of season )
Lua Lua

Hemed
Murray
Baldock
New Striker
New Striker / Elvis

Loaned out :

Walton ( Luton )
O'Grady ( Burton )

Loan out or Sell :

JFC
Holla
Elvis
Ince

So to finish top 2, we need a striker and a central defender, with potential replacements for Elvis, and Ince as well.

We are in a great position today, as long as we don't sell any of the squad beyond Holla and JFC, and get the central defender and striker in before the Derby game.

Agree except I think we need another full back.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We definitely need back up, a centre back, a central midfielder and a centre forward. But only back ups, we don't need to spend zillions to get anyone else. In fact loans would be fine. I keep saying it, but if we keep the bunch of lads together from last season we really will be going places. We have a 20 a season centre forward now who will link up just fine with Hemed. Goldson and Dunk are solid. Kayal and Stephens work off of each other in perfection. I think the rest of the division need to sit up and take notice of this rather talented bunch of players we have. I am very, very optimistic this year. Glass half full and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here