Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tickets For Troops

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's nice to hear. Went a bit off Tickets for Troops when a woman I used to work with basically just abused the system and get tickets for everything which she then would sell on. Apparently the tickets are checked some places but it's known they won't be at others? Obviously she kept the profit from selling them.

One question i have is whether it is exclusively armed forces? Do the Police/NHS etc. get similar? I think we all appreciate the role the armed forces play but also these other groups that contribute?

Not trying to start a bin fest - genuine question and he is as good a place to ask as google

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Service-men & Women get a decent enough salary to be able to afford tickets IMO. The club will be looked at in a bad way by some if they don't join the scheme though.
Would have saved me a few quid in years gone by mind!

Smiley Miley

Jan 16, 2015
Felpham
The Albion have been part of this since we moved to Falmer, before we got season tickets my brother used to get tickets through T4T (Royal Navy). Max three a season mind...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That's nice to hear. Went a bit off Tickets for Troops when a woman I used to work with basically just abused the system and get tickets for everything which she then would sell on. Apparently the tickets are checked some places but it's known they won't be at others? Obviously she kept the profit from selling them.

One question i have is whether it is exclusively armed forces? Do the Police/NHS etc. get similar? I think we all appreciate the role the armed forces play but also these other groups that contribute?

Not trying to start a bin fest - genuine question and he is as good a place to ask as google

You're opening the "essential workers" can of worms there. It annoys me when, for example, houses are only available to "essential workers". I would argue that nearly all jobs are essential (or none, depending on how you look at it).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Service-men & Women get a decent enough salary to be able to afford tickets IMO. The club will be looked at in a bad way by some if they don't join the scheme though.
Would have saved me a few quid in years gone by mind!

Feel the same. If we're dishing out tickets to people who do worthwhile jobs then why not teachers, nurses, doctors, police, firemen etc

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Was in the RAF for 30 years and im starting to get a bit annoyed how Armed Forces now seem to want special treatment.
As Smudge says the salary is pretty good now.
Plenty of worthwhile jobs in the world....... No one should get any special treatment .....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was in the RAF for 30 years and im starting to get a bit annoyed how Armed Forces now seem to want special treatment.
Plenty of worthwhile jobs in the world....... No one should get any special treatment .....

Is it? I was always under the impression- not sure where from- that pay for your average squaddie isn't all that. I suppose when you get your accommodation & food paid for, and overseas allowances etc, it might leave you a bit spare. But I certainly didn't think people would live hugely comfortable lifestyles on a NCO's salary.

Perhaps it's another thing that's come over from the US re "special treatment", as you put it? If you visit pretty much any tourist attraction over there, there are discounts for military (and retired military) personnel. Maybe it's caught on here.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Correct in what you're saying, no one should receive extra special privileges for doing a job they are paid to do.
The armed forces get the chance to volunteer at events such as Wimbledon (not sure if they get paid) and if my memory serves me right, they used to get reduced entry to the Royal Tournament and the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
As already mentioned, the emergency services all do a sterling job and do not ask for any special privileges.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Feel the same. If we're dishing out tickets to people who do worthwhile jobs then why not teachers, nurses, doctors, police, firemen etc

Probably all jobs are worthwhile....However certainly in todays world the Troops that risk their lives,get sent to deal with terror with all that entails are in my and I would suggest most peoples eyes top of the pile.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Is it? I was always under the impression- not sure where from- that pay for your average squaddie isn't all that. I suppose when you get your accommodation & food paid for, and overseas allowances etc, it might leave you a bit spare. But I certainly didn't think people would live hugely comfortable lifestyles on a NCO's salary.

Perhaps it's another thing that's come over from the US re "special treatment", as you put it? If you visit pretty much any tourist attraction over there, there are discounts for military (and retired military) personnel. Maybe it's caught on here.

All Military salaries are in the public Domain and easily searchable

https://www.raf.mod.uk/community/mura-raf-community/assets/File/Regulars Pay 2015.pdf

Page 9 for other ranks ...... A CPL which is easily achievable in a few years is an average of £30K

Food and Accommodation is not and has never been free.... The daily rates are in that table.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Probably all jobs are worthwhile....However certainly in todays world the Troops that risk their lives,get sent to deal with terror with all that entails are in my and I would suggest most peoples eyes top of the pile.

Fair enough but isn't risking your life part of the deal? I mean, that's the job right? That's what you're paid (rather well) to do? If you didn't fancy that you could always do another job.. nobody forces you to join the army.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the people who do serve our country, but I don't understand why they get special treatment ahead of Doctors, Nurses, Police, Firemen etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here