Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interview technique

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
After 8 years at the same firm I have my first proper external interview on Friday since getting the job I am now in. In that time i've had discussions with other places, internal interviews for several promotions but nothing massively formal.

To take my mind off it I wonder how the great and good of NSC have dealt with such situations in the not so distant past and whether anything has materially changed since I was a fresh faced lad!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
After 8 years at the same firm I have my first proper external interview on Friday since getting the job I am now in. In that time i've had discussions with other places, internal interviews for several promotions but nothing massively formal.

To take my mind off it I wonder how the great and good of NSC have dealt with such situations in the not so distant past and whether anything has materially changed since I was a fresh faced lad!

Not been for a job interview for a while but when I took voluntary redundancy from the NHS in 2011 I got this book by James Caan (ex Dragons Den) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Job-You-Really-Want/dp/0241950686

Got offered 2 jobs within the first 2 weeks of leaving and can remember the interview techniques really worked for me. Maybe some help if you could get hold of a copy before Friday!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Talk and communicate-you need to show potential employer a glimpse of your personality.

Start thinking

Is this company good enough for me?

Don't sell your self short yet don't over commit your ability.....be happy (not too happy) be punctual....be thankful and honest...be yourself...

leave thinking

Is this company good enough for me?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
1) firm handshake 2) be interested in the role (you'd be surprised) 3) do some proper research (get bored of the response - well I looked at the website 4) relay your CV with concrete examples of what you have done (I'm a great guy doesn't wash until you highlight the time you stayed until 3am on a Sunday to help your colleagues complete the job and then bought a homeless guy dinner on the way home) 5) appropriate eye contact (don't freak them out Notters) 6) smile occasionally 7) be proactive and start thinking what you would be doing for them and how they would benefit with you in their position 8) ask some relevant questions that show your deep interest and knowledge of the area you are interviewing in 9) don't ask about benefits / salaries unless they bring it up - make them want you first.

Good luck - knock them dead.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Write a follow up email to the person(s) who do your interview thanking them for their time and tell them it was a pleasure meeting with them.

You have to do the small things that are going to set you apart from the competition.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Look up the star acronym for answering questions. I forget it myself now. It's been a while too. It gives you a structure to your answers

Situation
Task
Action
Result

Depends what you are doing - works for office based stuff..

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would check out the company on GlassDoor. See what the current and future employees actually think about the company. Not what their website wants you to think.

It will sometimes also show up areas you can work on and suggestions in the interview.

More just be yourself, if they don't like that then you probably wouldn't enjoy the place anyway

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1 3) do some proper research (get bored of the response - well I looked at the website

I wanted to highlight this one. Find out if they've won any industry awards - look into what they have to do to win them. Look at the company data at Companies House ( it's free ). You can often work out some structure from the data. See what else the registered directors have done ( LinkedIn is a good start ). Look for stories in the press and ask about them - good or bad.

To give you an example of the last point I've made - the company I previously worked for had a director awaiting trial for Bribery and Corruption while I was interviewing for a new role. I interviewed about six candidates and only one mentioned this. She found it in the news and asked sensible questions about how it was affecting the company, what plans were in place if he was convicted ( he was ! ) etc. She got the job because she not only had the skills needed but had shown some in depth research and thinking into the company.

Finally, remember an interview is a two way thing - they are interviewing you BUT you are also interviewing them. Ask questions - make it two way.

ADDITION - a good last question from you when asked is "Is there anything that gives reservations that I'm suitable for the role" - it gives you a chance to put to bed any of their concerns.

Last edited:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
honesty.jpg

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you know the name of the person(s) interviewing you, take a look at their profiles on LinkedIn. Shows you have done some research on them as well as the company and may even throw up a connection or two that could be helpful.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was in a similar situation when I interviewed for my current job.

I'd been at my last place for nine years and that was my first proper job.

I can't say that this is a 'technique' but I made sure I made eye contact, sat up straight and, because my role is in technology, made sure to say "I don't know" rather than blagging my way through a (likely) incorrect answer.

I'd boil those three things down to confidence and honesty.

Good luck!

AlwaysASeagull

Apr 29, 2016
I work in the careers / advice field and can't say much has probably changed in 8 years!
Worth practicing the STAR technique to both prep your examples and answers against the criteria on the person specification. So for each essential and desirable skill apply: Situation, Task, Action, Result. You can google for more of a breakdown but this can be used to both pre-empt (to some degree) the questions, your answers and also gives you structure when answering the question in the iview itself. There's also something called 'strength-based interviews' that are being increasingly used, especially by graduate recruiters, and that can't be planned for but worth Googling to be aware of the types of questions that can be asked. These are more designed to test people thinking on their feet and being a bit creative, but don't get hung up on revising for these!

Researching the company and rehearsing a mini sales-pitch on why you want that role and want to work for them as mentioned previously are important, as well as having some good questions written down to ask them, such as company plans, team structure, typical day in the role, how the opportunity has arisen etc.

Best of luck!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Give clear concise answers, don't waffle. Amazing how many people just keep talking, as a good interviewer will normally let you talk until completely finished.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
These are more designed to test people thinking on their feet and being a bit creative ...

Yup, seen one of these: Interviewer says:
I want you to tell me how many degrees there are between the two hands on a clock when the time is 10 to 2. I want you to talk me through your workings but if you stop talking I will assume you've stopped thinking, begin!"

There are several right answers to this but each provides a little insight to the responder.
1/ About 90% as a guess
2/ I can't talk if I'm thinking properly.
3/ No idea ...
4/ Attempt to waffle as you explain and try to get to an answer atthe same time [there are very FEW people who can do this because speaking and mental maths don't come together simultaneously very easily]
5/ Give me a pencil and paper and I'll get your answer, and then explain how I did it.

How would you respond?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I want you to tell me how many degrees there are between the two hands on a clock when the time is 10 to 2. I want you to talk me through your workings but if you stop talking I will assume you've stopped thinking, begin!"

There are several right answers to this but each provides a little insight to the responder.
1/ About 90% as a guess
3/ No idea ...
4/ Attempt to waffle as you explain and try to get to an answer atthe same time [there are very FEW people who can do this because speaking and mental maths don't come together simultaneously very easily]
5/ Give me a pencil and paper and I'll get your answer, and then explain how I did it.

How would you respond?
I would respond "115 degrees", then poke him in the eye.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

1/ About 90% as a guess
3/ No idea ...

How would you respond?

I would say" It's 110 degrees . Gissa job".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here