Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fruuuuit! Growing & Eating it

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Have wild strawberries growing around the garden, make a nice nibble when doing a spot of weeding/mowing etc.
Never intentionally grown fruit to eat.

Love eating all fruit, except gooseberries, and bear in mind rhubarb is not fruit, it's not even food :biohazard:

Blackberry and apple pie or crumble, and banofee pie.

I too have been referred to as a plum in the past.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I love all fruit and I think that when bang in season it's the thing this country grows best.
Strawberries and Raspberries are a gimmie. So I will plump for Blackcurrents, I bloody love them.
I have tried growing quality soft fruit but unless you have them time and know how it's not that easy to get real quality (soft fruit not apples and pears) so prefer to buy but not from supermarkets prefer farms, pick your own etc.
Not really got a favourite dish as I like soft fruit in anything.
I always go Blackberry picking in September and stock up for the winter for jam and pies.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Mrs BB grows raspberry's. Bloody lovely freshly picked with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Also grows pots, garlic, onions, rhubarb, beetroot, toms & courgette.

Much better taste than supermarket bought IMHO.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I love all fruit and I think that when bang in season it's the thing this country grows best.
Strawberries and Raspberries are a gimmie. So I will plump for Blackcurrents, I bloody love them.
I have tried growing quality soft fruit but unless you have them time and know how it's not that easy to get real quality (soft fruit not apples and pears) so prefer to buy but not from supermarkets prefer farms, pick your own etc.
Not really got a favourite dish as I like soft fruit in anything.

I always go Blackberry picking in September and stock up for the winter for jam and pies.

Totally agree with you on seasonality.

As a child growing up in the countryside we used to grow strawberries (domestic and wild), raspberries, blackberries, rhubarb and gooseberries. We had cooking apple and cherry trees.

My mum used to make lots of different crumbles and puddings and lots of homemade jam and jelly at the seasonal times of year.

We used to help my dad go round the country lanes picking elderflowers and elderberries from the hedgerows for his homemade wine as well as going into the woods to pick sloes for sloe gin.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Totally agree with you on seasonality.

As a child growing up in the countryside we used to grow strawberries (domestic and wild), raspberries, blackberries, rhubarb and gooseberries. We had cooking apple and cherry trees.

My mum used to make lots of different crumbles and puddings and lots of homemade jam and jelly at the seasonal times of year.

We used to help my dad go round the country lanes picking elderflowers and elderberries from the hedgerows for his homemade wine as well as going into the woods to pick sloes for sloe gin.

Sunday mornings, Mum with her pinny on, listening to The Archers making fruit pies, crumbles and jam on a nice summer day.
Makes me feel all warm and nostalgic.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I grow Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants,Blackberrys and Rhubarb.. I already make Sloe Gin and Raspberry Gin, this years glut of strawberrys are in the freezer for Strawberry Gin when I have a spare Kilner jar free... then there may be some Blackcurrant Gin too this year !

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
We grow strawberries, red currents and rhubarb in our garden. This year we've harvested 10 kg of rhubarb already.

We're also having a go at growing potatoes and parsnips this year.

I ruddy love eating food from the garden I does. It also makes eating fruit and veg more appealing for the little drebins when they've helped sow and water the seeds.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we grew everything while we were in Wales even figs
the best were the apples and pears straight eating or cooked
and the foxes loved the dropped ones

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We grow strawberries, red currents and rhubarb in our garden. This year we've harvested 10 kg of rhubarb already.

I ruddy love eating food from the garden I does. It also makes eating fruit and veg more appealing for the little drebins when they've helped sow and water the seeds.

That's great.
To get my young nephews interested in digging up potatoes, we used to say that they were digging for chips.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hmm. Rhubarb, strawberries, tayberries, red currants, red gooseberries, black currants, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, Victoria plums, apples on the allotment along with toms. Been coming out of my ears,and an anagram of ears, for weeks.
Bottled some strawberries for the winter but the rest been eaten or frozen, so far.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
we grew everything while we were in Wales even figs
the best were the apples and pears straight eating or cooked
and the foxes loved the dropped ones

I couldn't add figs. We get them overwinter as you should but then the bu**ers fall off.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

Oh, definitely! It's all free and in abundance. I miss those days.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I couldn't add figs. We get them overwinter as you should but then the bu**ers fall off.

we did not get many and those we did get we ate straight off the tree and were actually very nice with a very sharp apple

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here