Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exodus: Our Journey to Europe - BBC2

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Incredible bit of TV I thought as a first person account of a desperate journey. It was a compelling viewing which gave a real human personal account of the reality of much of the plight facing the fleeing people. Well worth tuning into. Takes a hardened heart to look at a 9 year old child staring at the sea proclaiming it is 2 faced, and not be moved by what they've gone through.

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/features/magazine-36763108/36763108[/video]

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watched it last night. Fascinating and very moving. Shall definitely be watching the second episode tonight.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watching part 1 on download, the young Syrian girl has incredible courage

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A friend of mine has used her holiday working with refugees stranded in Greece, providing medical care. All their stories are harrowing.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Part 3 on now.

Watched first two parts on catch up this morning. Very harrowing. Agree that the Syrian girl is amazing - so grown up at 11 but really should be enjoying her childhood in peace.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Brilliant and moving documentary . I hope it will change the minds of a lot of people in the UK . I still need to watch the 3rd episode from last night on catch up . The Syrian girl is so strong for her age but I do fear for her and others that once they get to their destination and settled that this whole trip and what they have been through will affect them for the rest of their lives .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The 2nd series on this is in episode 2.

The great news is that resliiant Syrian girl Isra has now started school in Germany, she really does inspire me such a courageous child to walk from Greece to Germany

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Brilliant and moving documentary . I hope it will change the minds of a lot of people in the UK . I still need to watch the 3rd episode from last night on catch up . The Syrian girl is so strong for her age but I do fear for her and others that once they get to their destination and settled that this whole trip and what they have been through will affect them for the rest of their lives .

I think your hope will just remain I hope as this production has to compete with the unfortunate by-product of open borders and a disfunctional asylum policy.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/sex-beast-who-abused-girls-13304867

Of course not every migrant or refugee is a rapist, but for the rationally minded there is a quid pro quo, a 9 year old Syrian girl is unlikely to present any threat and will induce sympathy, but she is an outlier, the majority are male and young.

Those that want to really help the refugees should take a leaf out of Harold MacMillan’s book who hosted 40 Jewish refugees in WW2. Have them in your house with your family.

Not the 9 year old girls, but the 18-30 males...........hope then that you don’t have a Zohair Tomari.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can I suggest that they look for better lives the way most people do i.e.by sorting out their own country?

How do you stop your own leader dropping chemical weapons on you, or prevent ISIS from taking advantage of the civil war, to wade in attacking everyone?
Your suggestion is very naive. Most people would move to a place of safety.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
How do you stop your own leader dropping chemical weapons on you, or prevent ISIS from taking advantage of the civil war, to wade in attacking everyone?
Your suggestion is very naive. Most people would move to a place of safety.

Sometimes you need to fight to get want you want.

Running away will not stop dictators or religious zealots, only the profoundly naive would think otherwise.

ISIS is controlling a much smaller and shrinking part of Syria and Iraq because people are fighting them. Those doing the fighting are broadly young and male. That is where those young Syrian and Iraqi men seeking asylum in Europe should be, we (in Europe) can look after their 9 year old daughters and sisters in the meantime.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Syria have brought in Russia to quell the rebels who have been trying their best to overthrow Assad.

Be very thankful we haven't had a civil war in this country for centuries. Not knowing which of your neighbours you can trust, no access to medicines, doctors hospitals, schools etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I suggest that they look for better lives the way most people do i.e.by sorting out their own country?

Out of interest what are you doing to sort out the current chaotic and confused mess that is the UK?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sometimes you need to fight to get want you want.

Running away will not stop dictators or religious zealots, only the profoundly naive would think otherwise.

ISIS is controlling a much smaller and shrinking part of Syria and Iraq because people are fighting them. Those doing the fighting are broadly young and male. That is where those young Syrian and Iraqi men seeking asylum in Europe should be, we (in Europe) can look after their 9 year old daughters and sisters in the meantime.

Which is what I meant in my post, running away from problems doesn't solve them.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Out of interest what are you doing to sort out the current chaotic and confused mess that is the UK?

Praying that the IRA loving Marxists don't get voted in - if they do then I'll likely become a refugee myself, Australia, Canada and New Zealand would probably take me in I think...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Praying that the IRA loving Marxists don't get voted in - if they do then I'll likely become a refugee myself, Australia, Canada and New Zealand would probably take me in I think...

So, if Labour get in you’ll move to the other side of the planet. Every cloud has a silver lining eh? :smile:

PS what was it you said about running away from things?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here