Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IKEA to be built on land owned by the Albion...?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/brand-new-ikea-store-opening-sussex/

Could a new IKEA store be opening in Sussex?

The Swedish furniture giant has refused to rule out a move to the county, after rumours emerged that the firm could move to land owned by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

The club’s executive director Martin Perry last night confirmed the Albion had bought land previously earmarked for 600 homes near its training ground site at Lancing, east of Worthing. (Oh, THAT Lancing...)

The emerging Adur local plan also makes provision for ‘employment space’ and a new primary school.

An IKEA spokesman said the firm had been evaluating a number of potential sites for an store in the county, adding: “At this stage we are only making preliminary enquiries and have nothing further to confirm.”

The land at New Monks Farm lies north of the Seagulls’ elite football performance centre. According to Companies House records, New Monks Farm Development Limited’s registered address was changed to Albion’s Amex stadium on April 7. A number of new directors, including Mr Perry, were appointed shortly beforehand.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I hope ACE reporter Timmy didn't write that

Doubt it.

1. There were no godawful, pissweak puns
2. I understood it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well lets hope the club do not buy anything from them as always there is something missing or damaged allegedly!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well lets hope the club do not buy anything from them as always there is something missing or damaged allegedly!

I've never had a problem. You must be thinking of the defunct MFI.

I hope it's true. I'm fed up with having to drive up to Croydon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think we need 600 homes more than a retail outlet, especially one that will stuff up traffic for miles around on a saturday afternoon.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've never had a problem. You must be thinking of the defunct MFI.

I hope it's true. I'm fed up with having to drive up to Croydon.

And when you buy your flatpack how do you propose you get it on the bus from Lewes to Seaford.........

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
A full turn around from us having to sell for the likes of toys are us to build on. We are in control here.

More importantly we would have access to cheap hot dogs next to the training ground so we can really have an infrastructure designed to take on the American who won the hot dog eating contest. Let's bring that trophy to Sussex.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
think we need 600 homes more than a retail outlet, especially one that will stuff up traffic for miles around on a saturday afternoon.

My first thought when I read the story. Land earmarked for 600 homes should be used to build 600 homes.

And... six hundred new car journeys won't!

Better 600 than the tens of thousands a new IKEA would bring.

D

Deleted User X18H

Doubt it.

1. There were no godawful, pissweak puns
2. I understood it.

No. Won't rise to it.

I am really rather busy with my young family.

Too much to do before I am pushing up the daisies ;)

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not a chance in hell this will get the go ahead , not bendy enough .

ikea-considers-putting-sustainable-lab-grown-3d-printed-meatballs-on-menu-8.jpg

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
My first thought when I read the story. Land earmarked for 600 homes should be used to build 600 homes.

Better 600 than the tens of thousands a new IKEA would bring.

I've got a feeling it's IKEA plus 600 homes etc. The local residents associations are up in arms about and I can understand why. Anyone who has the misfortune to travel the road morning and night will understand plus it's all being built on a flood plain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Bought loads of stuff, never had any problems.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If it was earmarked for 600 homes then 600 homes it will be.
Councils are under enormous pressure to build homes anywhere they can.
If they put IKEA there as well as homes then they may get away with it.
Not sure I would want to live next to IKEA though.
On a separate note isn't there enough traffic in that area as it is sometimes it's horrendous 600 homes and an IKEA will make it unbearable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here