Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile phone zombies

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Social etiquette question here...

Is it socially acceptable, or do you have the right, when you see a mobile phone zombie (i.e. someone walking along the street only paying attention to their mobile phone) walk towards you - or even in front of you going in the same direction - to hold the line you are walking in, even if it means deliberately walking into them?

Isn't this gormlessness just a tad irritating? I welcome your comments. :)

Can't wait for the new football season to start.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Is it socially acceptable, or do you have the right, when you see a mobile phone zombie (i.e. someone walking along the street only paying attention to their mobile phone) walk towards you - or even in front of you going in the same direction - to hold the line you are walking in, even if it means deliberately walking into them?

Well, no, it clearly isn't.

They are being careless and thoughtless, but that doesn't afford you carte blanche to wilfully act like a dick.

Two wrongs, and all that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No, the correct etiquette is to crouch down in front of them and pretend to tie up a loose shoelace.......................

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seems people cant function without staring into the abyss that is there Mobile phone screen these days.

To answer your question, yes it is perfectly OK to do that. Award bonus points if mobile ends up on the floor.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Absolutely with you on this one. It amazes me the number of morons that walk around texting on their phones. Even more so how blind people go when they are talking and walking - does it suddenly induce temporary blindness ? If you want to use your phone then stop walking and find a quiet out of the way spot to stop .... simples.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I have been close to doing it on occasion, but then I remember that sometimes (like, once in a blue moon) I commit the cardinal sin of looking at my own phone in public. Thing is, you don't know what people are doing: it may be that they're browsing pictures of their lover's genitals on WhatsChat; but they may also be lost and looking at directions on their phone. Or texting a friend urgently. For those reasons, I avoid intentionally bumping into them.

Now, Lycra-clad cyclists on two wheels heading towards me on the pavement. That's a different matter - I always hold my line, always.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
The new pokemon game is going to drive you up the wall, if you thought it was bad now give it a few months!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Currently, they're probably playing Pokemon Go and desperately trying to find a Squirtle.

They're just trying to be the very best, like no-one ever was.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I agree to an extent.

I will usually hold my line and then just stop infront of them. When they suddenly look up startled give them a bit of a 'look where you're going mate' and they will usually apologise and walk around you.

We are all guilt of social faux pas so I wouldn't want to be too hard on someone for doing that when I have probably done just as bad and not been walked into

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Absolutely with you on this one. It amazes me the number of morons that walk around texting on their phones. Even more so how blind people go when they are talking and walking - does it suddenly induce temporary blindness ? If you want to use your phone then stop walking and find a quiet out of the way spot to stop .... simples.

Absolutely this.

On this topic, why is it that about 95% of young women especially have a mobile phone permanently attached to their hand - does it grow in their palm at puberty?!

It's as if modern women can't walk or even breath if they're not chatting or texting. I don't see blokes constantly clutching or yapping on their phones all day - they put them in their pocket or bag when not using them (I know I certainly do).

Also, most of these women now seem to walk around all day with their phone in the upturned, outstretched palm of their hand - what is that about; is it simply to show everyone that they've got a phone, in order to convey how 'cool' they are? It is 'fashion'.

The other thing I've noticed is when a woman is in a pub with her partner; you can guarantee that the second he goes to the bar or the toilet, she'll whip her phone out and frantically scroll down her screen for two minutes? Why? What is so important?

No, I hate mobile phone addicts with a vengeance; these tossers can't live for the moment, or watch a band, or simply talk with their mates/partner/family when they are out anywhere; their faces are constantly buried in their stupid little screens.

Endured an awful 90 minute train journey last week; three screaming, bored, restless toddlers - yet the parents were oblivious to their kids (and the annoyance they were causing to the rest of the carriage), because mummy and daddy were permanently looking down at their phones for the whole time; nothing else existed except the pretty likkle screen in the palm of their hand. I wish their phones had made them sterile.

Goes off to lie-down in a darkened room...............

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Absolutely this.

On this topic, why is it that about 95% of young women especially have a mobile phone permanently attached to their hand - does it grow in their palm at puberty?!

It's as if modern women can't walk or even breath if they're not chatting or texting. I don't see blokes constantly clutching or yapping on their phones all day - they put them in their pocket or bag when not using them (I know I certainly do).

Also, most of these women now seem to walk around all day with their phone in the upturned, outstretched palm of their hand - what is that about; is it simply to show everyone that they've got a phone, in order to convey how 'cool' they are? It is 'fashion'.

The other thing I've noticed is when a woman is in a pub with her partner; you can guarantee that the second he goes to the bar or the toilet, she'll whip her phone out and frantically scroll down her screen for two minutes? Why? What is so important?

No, I hate mobile phone addicts with a vengeance; these tossers can't live for the moment, or watch a band, or simply talk with their mates/partner/family when they are out anywhere; their faces are constantly buried in their stupid little screens.

Endured an awful 90 minute train journey last week; three screaming, bored, restless toddlers - yet the parents were oblivious to their kids (and the annoyance they were causing to the rest of the carriage), because mummy and daddy were permanently looking down at their phones for the whole time; nothing else existed except the pretty likkle screen in the palm of their hand. I wish their phones had made them sterile.

Goes off to lie-down in a darkened room...............

Agree with this. It seems that couples at a restaurant cannot speak to each other anynore. Too busy with bookface.

Another thing: Why do female drivers feel the need to send a message to someone every time they stop in traffic? (Which is a lot here and there is very little enforcement by Traffic Police)
Another thing: Why do people taking their dog for a walk have to have a phone clamped to their ear? He just had a p*ss ohh now he is having a cr*p> :annoyed:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Couples who are BOTH on their phone in a restaurant.

Even if we are discussing a specific place or activity over dinner and my partner says "oh, have a look on your phone when the nex....."

NO. NO I WILL NOT.

NO.

I will look LATER....now ENJOY MY COMPANY*

* This hasn't painted my company as particularly enjoyable.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is it acceptable to press your car horn directly behind a MPZ after they have crossed the road without looking causing them to jump out of there skin - yes, it is

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Sorely tempted on many occasions but never gone through with it, although I have just stopped dead in front and made them walk around.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Another thing: Why do female drivers feel the need to send a message to someone every time they stop in traffic? (Which is a lot here and there is very little enforcement by Traffic Police)

Think yourself lucky they do it while stopped, most seem to do it while travelling at speed in my experience

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I agree to an extent.

I will usually hold my line and then just stop infront of them. When they suddenly look up startled give them a bit of a 'look where you're going mate' and they will usually apologise and walk around you.

We are all guilt of social faux pas so I wouldn't want to be too hard on someone for doing that when I have probably done just as bad and not been walked into

Its hard enough for me to type anything on the things when motionless, never mind walking. Im amazed when I see how fast, and with how many fingers simultaneously young people are using the things.. My pet hate is young mothers launching themselves and buggies out of shop doorways unexpectedly and not looking. It ****ing hurts

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Its hard enough for me to type anything on the things when motionless, never mind walking. Im amazed when I see how fast, and with how many fingers simultaneously young people are using the things.. My pet hate is young mothers launching themselves and buggies out of shop doorways unexpectedly and not looking. It ****ing hurts

I don't think it's just young mums! Plenty of older mums pushing away.

Or people that just stop in doorways/pavements. That's what gets me really annoys me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here