Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

145th Open Championship at Royal Troon

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Just two days to the start and Sky have the coverage this year starting at 6:30AM with Monty taking the first tee shot at 6:35. A bit gutted I'm not there as I went to St Andrews last year for the week and the Monday too:smile: You see more on the telly but you really can't beat being there for seeing just how good the top players are. I play ok but these boys are on a different planet.

I'm more than happy taking on the four at the front of the betting at the prices.

My main bet is Phil Mickelson and I've been backing him each way for a while at 50/1 and 55 on Betfair. He came third here last time it was at Troon in 2004 and is playing ok at the moment. 6 under in the last round at Castle Stuart sets him up nicely. Won in 2013 for me which was handy.

My other bets...and there's plenty of them:mad:

Andy Sullivan 100/1 ew - Englishman improving all the time and he'll contend in majors soon enough. A decent showing in Scotland last week saw his price come in a bit.
Porridge Harrington 200/1 ew. That price went west after his performance at the Scottish Open. The worse the weather is the better the chance he has.
Martin Kaymer 60 on Betfair. Knows how to win majors and in form this season.
Adam Scott 27 Betfair. Another major winner and very much in form and another major beckons.
Louis Oosthuizen 55 Betfair. Won in 2010 and is finding form again.
Shane Lowry 55 Betfair. Improving and came 2nd in the US Open. Suited to links golf and he'll win an Open before he finishes his career.
Zach Johnson 80 Betfair. Last years winner and he has the game for Troon as you have to be on the short stuff.
Jim Furyk 110 Betfair. Old Jim has shown signs of life this year and already has an Open in the bag.
Graeme McDowell 120 Betfair. Been in the wilderness but coming back and is another who will be suited to Troon.
Hideto Tanihara 1000 Betfair. Who? World number 69 and has won his last two tournaments in Japan. 20/1 ew Ladbrokes for top Asian is good too.

One of the best weeks of the year for me and I'll be watching it all :smile:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The trouble with Golf betting is that so many could win it. As Paul McGinley said last night, he could make a case for 50 of the field to win it.

Looking forward to it, though, should be a good one, and a real test for them. Hope the wind is there a little, but not too much to ruin it. I like too many of them to pick a favourite - it would be nice for Sergio to finally do it, but I fear he'll never win a major. I don't bet, but if I did, I might lump my whole 50p on Shane Lowry.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
First time since the early 70s I won't be watching the open. Used to love watching the open but now Sky have the rights I won't bother . As for the highlights show the BBC have , who wants to watch 2 hours of recorded putting , which is all they ever show on highlights . Should imagine lowest ever viewing figures for the Open will happen this week .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gutted that Tiger won't be there again as I am sure all of the golfing community are but the show must go on.

I've had Scott @ 30/1 and Chris Wood @ 80/1.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tenner each-way on Adam Scott (22/1) with 1/4 the odds for the first six.

Only bet on the four majors - similar to tennis. Very disappointed that Sky have got the coverage. Normally I bet on two golfers but not this year.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Bet£3.65 have a cracking bet which is on the number of players to finish under par. 15 or less is 5/4 which is a real big price as the spread firms are predicting 12-15. Tomorrow's forecast is ok but Friday's is terrible with high winds and pissing rain, just hope they play in it. Saturdays forecast isn't much better.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I've backed this lot on Betfair to varying steaks, just hope the weather isn't bad enough to cause delays.

Adam Scott 27
Phil Mickelson 55
Louis Oosthuizen 55
Shane Lowry 55
Martin Kaymer 56
Matt Kuchar 70
Zach Johnson 80
Graeme McDowell 120
Andy Sullivan 110
Jim Furyk 110
Russell Henley 375
William McGirt 420
Hideto Tanihara 1000

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've backed this lot on Betfair to varying steaks, just hope the weather isn't bad enough to cause delays.

Adam Scott 27
Phil Mickelson 55
Louis Oosthuizen 55
Shane Lowry 55
Martin Kaymer 56
Matt Kuchar 70
Zach Johnson 80
Graeme McDowell 120
Andy Sullivan 110
Jim Furyk 110
Russell Henley 375
William McGirt 420
Hideto Tanihara 1000

If you're betting "steaks", do they payout in cows ?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Monty will be in a fine mood, its his course so an honour to take the first shot.

Looking forward to four days watching the golf and maybe get in a few holes myself too:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Trouble is with this sky domination of sport is that with cricket, you can listen to TMS and bbc sports extra and it doesn't matter if you can't see the pictures as the commentators are so good...whereas golf on the radio is just not the same at all.

Golf is all about seeing the action....listening to someone whispering that so and so is lining up his putt is not the same!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
on Louis (biggest bet) 50s; and a few quid e/w on Skinkwin 250/1; Lingmerth 250/; Apribarnrat 300/1; love the Open.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rose, Fowler and Garcia for me - all each-way at SkyBet who are paying 7 places (hoping for some each way thievery).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here