Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be a general election?

Difficult decision for the new PM (one of many!)

Pros (from her point of view):-

Labour are in disarray and she could well be returned with a bigger majority

If she doesn't have one the press will be on her back, although this is not a reason for having it

If she does and wins she will silence any critics who say she doesn't have a mandate

Cons:-

If she doesn't she'll never hear the last of it and will be compared to Gordon Brown who bottled it

The country doesn't need any more uncertainty

We need to crack on and sort out post-Brexit Britain, not spend 6 - 8 weeks in a GE campaign

I think if I was her I would call one.

Might be worth a poll on NSC?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
She needs a no confidence vote on the government for one to happen, or 2/3 of MP's have got to vote for one to happen to get round the Fixed-term Parliaments Act. All SNP and Liberal Democrat MP's might be up for it, I'm not sure about all Conservative or Labour ones.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. This government were elected on a mandate to hold a definitive referendum on the EU. Thy have fulfilled that pledge, the British public has made its decision, and now the government is morally obliged to complete the work of removing us from the EU.
Then, in 2020, when there is no way back into the EU anyway, we can vote in a decent Labour government.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
No. This government were elected on a mandate to hold a definitive referendum on the EU. Thy have fulfilled that pledge, the British public has made its decision, and now the government is morally obliged to complete the work of removing us from the EU.
Then, in 2020, when there is no way back into the EU anyway, we can vote in a decent Labour government.

We would if we could find one!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Simple answer is NO. The PM has changed 24 times in the last 100 years - only 12 of those times were at a GE. The party that was voted in to form the government in 2015 is still in power regardless of who the PM is.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
"Gordon Brown is running scared of the people's verdict" - Theresa May when Gordon Brown took over and did not call a snap election.

Calling one now may or may not be the 'right' decision for May, but it'd be a hypocritical decision not to...

I don't know the terms of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act but if she needs to get 2/3 or MPs to agree I would have thought that's possible. All the other parties would agree or run the risk of (a) being accused of beingfrightened and (b) of not trusting the electorate. Labour probably wouldn't want a General election but I can't see them not agreeing.

That then means she needs aroud a third of her own party, maybe less. some MP's will be worried they might lose their seat even though the Conservatives may win. But I would have thought she should be able to persuade enough to get the 2/3 majority you say she needs.

But she's got nothing to lose. If she doesn't get 2/3rds she can then say I was happy to have a GE but got outvoted.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
She needs a no confidence vote on the government for one to happen, or 2/3 of MP's have got to vote for to one to happen to get round the Fixed-term Parliaments Act. All SNP and Liberal Democrat MP's might be up for it, I'm not sure about all Conservative or Labour ones.

Can we have a vote of no confidence in the British public?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No there shouldn't.

Besides the Labour party would be humiliated again.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't particularly like her BUT the calls for a GE are just infuriating.

People saying she is unelected are failing to see that she is just as elected as Cameron. We don't vote for a leader but a local representative, they are then lead by an internally elected party leader.

I think it is madness to be honest - the politics in this country at the moment are a laughing stock. Lets crack on with trying to get the best deal we can and then try and rebuild the country (not just economically but socially)

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Technically i don't think so, ultimately Theresa May will be judged on public opinion though. I would be surprised if someone isn't commissioning a poll to ascertain what the country thinks.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I also firmly believe we are better off with a Conservative government to sort out brexit and trade deals. You just can't trust this current labour lot at the moment and i speak as a labour voter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, the last thing we need is more uncertainty.

No one's MP has changed, let's go back to a bit of stability for a while.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Simple answer is NO. The PM has changed 24 times in the last 100 years - only 12 of those times were at a GE. The party that was voted in to form the government in 2015 is still in power regardless of who the PM is.

I think we are probably in fairly exceptional circumstances compared probably to most of the other occasions at which an individual has become Prime Minister outside of a General Election.............. but I still think you're right. We need to "get on with it" to avoid further uncertainty.

But then, I never thought we should have had a referendum in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"Gordon Brown is running scared of the people's verdict" - Theresa May when Gordon Brown took over and did not call a snap election.

Calling one now may or may not be the 'right' decision for May, but it'd be a hypocritical decision not to...

key difference is that Brown didnt even have an internal party election, at least May has been selected from among the Conservative MPs. until Hague or Howard thats how any Conservative leader was selected.

i think we're rather tired of electioneering, and i believe the calls for a GE are from those that want to see the referendum result overturned by the backdoor, assuming all parties would stand on a policy to remain. it wouldn't be cricket to ask for a GE with Labour in their current state either.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think we are probably in fairly exceptional circumstances compared probably to most of the other occasions at which an individual has become Prime Minister outside of a General Election.............. but I still think you're right. We need to "get on with it" to avoid further uncertainty.

But then, I never thought we should have had a referendum in the first place.

I'd suggest 1940 with Churchill taking over without an election was rather more exceptional circumstances than this political spat.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But she's got nothing to lose. If she doesn't get 2/3rds she can then say I was happy to have a GE but got outvoted.

She's got the respect of 17 million voters to lose. She has been mandated to facilitate Brexit - any sort of trying to wriggle out of it (which is what a GE would be) would be unacceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here