Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1940's Brexit - Passport to Pimlico 16:30 UK GOLD today

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It is a rather good old British offering.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
When I was at school in the late(ish) 70's, one of my 'options' was a subject called Film Appreciation. Not being particularly studious, I thought it would be an absolute doss for 2 years just watching films. It was utterly brilliant! We studied The Ealing Comedies, Hitchcock, music scores and such like. I have never been able to watch a film since without wondering why the Director has chosen a particular angle for a shot, etc. Passport To Pimlico was an absolute classic and some of the Hitchcock stuff was bloody good too!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I was at school in the late(ish) 70's, one of my 'options' was a subject called Film Appreciation. Not being particularly studious, I thought it would be an absolute doss for 2 years just watching films. It was utterly brilliant! We studied The Ealing Comedies, Hitchcock, music scores and such like. I have never been able to watch a film since without wondering why the Director has chosen a particular angle for a shot, etc. Passport To Pimlico was an absolute classic and some of the Hitchcock stuff was bloody good too!

Rear Window. I saw it at the Vancouver film festivalin 84 at the Ridge Theatre. Utterly stunning. Entire film shot in one room. And that Grace Kelly . . . . Crikey :lolol:

Followed a few days later by Rope (the one filmed as a continuous piece in one take (although it was actually two). I love the scene where Stewart rips those preppy boys a new one over their outrage. Shame Hitchcok sullied his legacy with Frenzy (yuck!).

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Rear Window. I saw it at the Vancouver film festivalin 84 at the Ridge Theatre. Utterly stunning. Entire film shot in one room. And that Grace Kelly . . . . Crikey :lolol:

Followed a few days later by Rope (the one filmed as a continuous piece in one take (although it was actually two). I love the scene where Stewart rips those preppy boys a new one over their outrage. Shame Hitchcok sullied his legacy with Frenzy (yuck!).

Yep, Rear Window was excellent. Apart from the camera angle in the shower/stabbing scene in Psycho, my most memorable scene by Hitchcock was at the end of North By Northeast when Cary Grant leans down to grab the hand of Eva-Marie Saint who has fallen over a ridge, and seamlessley moves into him lifting her up into his bunk bed on a train. Hitch was a bloody genius! If I knew how, I'd stick a poll up for his best film. But I don't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, Rear Window was excellent. Apart from the camera angle in the shower/stabbing scene in Psycho, my most memorable scene by Hitchcock was at the end of North By Northeast when Cary Grant leans down to grab the hand of Eva-Marie Saint who has fallen over a ridge, and seamlessley moves into him lifting her up into his bunk bed on a train. Hitch was a bloody genius! If I knew how, I'd stick a poll up for his best film. But I don't.

I have yet to see N by NW. I have the dvd. You have whetted my appetite.

That said, I was listening to Danny Baker a few weeks ago who pointed out one flaw, which is that no way would anyone run away from a plane in the same direction as the plane is flying. It is bound to catch you, innit? :shrug::lolol:

Cheers - enjoy your evening :cheers:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I have yet to see N by NW. I have the dvd. You have whetted my appetite.

That said, I was listening to Danny Baker a few weeks ago who pointed out one flaw, which is that no way would anyone run away from a plane in the same direction as the plane is flying. It is bound to catch you, innit? :shrug::lolol:

Cheers - enjoy your evening :cheers:

:lol: he's got a point!
NBNW for me but The Birds was really dark for its time.
Yeah, likewise, have a good evening. First bottle of Sauvignon up & running!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If I knew how, I'd stick a poll up for his best film. But I don't.

Shadow of a Doubt - love the way that the film changes its mood: you think it's about one thing and turns darker and darker. He did the same thing with Psycho.

I can't quite understand the support for Vertigo though - supposedly the greatest film ever - it wouldn't be in my top five Hitchcocks

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just watched PTP again on Gold. What a cracking film it is - every British character actor bar John Le Mesurier and Richard Wattis seemed to be in it. Fascinating to see London full of bomb sites and bombed out buildings.

There's a Sussex connection - the pub was serving Jenner's Ale. Jenners was a brewery formed by two brothers from Rotherfield. Harveys' Anthony (Miles's father) was a direct descendant of the family.

Kind Hearts and Coronets next week - more goodies to look forward to

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

That is one of the issues with studying film, you can never switch off without attemtping to analyse it.

Some of the films mentioned on the thread are true classics. I haven't seen all the Ealin Comedies, but for me The Ladykillers is the best, followed closely by Kind Hearts and Coronets. Both complete British classics and stand the test of time with them still being just as interesting and funny today.

As far as Hitchcock goes, having studied him at universtiy, he really was the master of his art. I'm glad to see Rope mentioned as it is often overlooked when his name pops up. It is a fantstic film with such a simple plot, and the fact it is seemingly shot all in one take just makes it that bit more interesting. There is one shot where Jimmy Stewart is getting some rope from a draw with a door swinging between him and the camera. First time I saw it sent shivers down my spine. Another mention to one of Hitchcock's lesser mentioned works, Strangers on a Train. Another incredible film, with the shot at the tennis match (you will know the one if you have seen it) standing out.

I will stop rambling, but great to read there are other Hitchcock fans on here too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here