Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS Question

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does any club have music that pre dates GOSBTS as music to run out to?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not sure if they run out to it, but Norwich's 'On The Ball, City' goes back to the 1890s and pre-dates the club.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Loving traditional folk songs as I do it just occurred to me that the Z Cars theme that Everton run out to is actually Johnny Todd, a song and tune probably originating in Liverpool. I'm not sure if it pre-dates Everton but it is almost certainly older than GOSBTS. Now I'm starting to feel like a mine of useless information......!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Charlton used to run out (in the Thirties?) to The Posthorn Gallop which I think was written mid C19th by a German. This obviously pre-dates both Sussex By The Sea (1907) AND Charlton themselves (1906) by about sixty years.

Leicester City have the Posthorn Gallop. Charlton come out to Into the Valley by The Skids.

This has certainly been sung at Newcastle United for many, many years - and certainly a lot longer than anything similar has been sung down our way.

Oh me lads, you should've seen us gannin'
Passing the folks alang the road
just as they were stannin'
Aal the lads and lasses there
aal wi' smilin' faces
Gannin alang the Scotswood Road
To see the Blaydon Races

A song that is dear to my heart, since one of my grandads lived in Scotswood Road and the other lived in Blaydon.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Loving traditional folk songs as I do it just occurred to me that the Z Cars theme that Everton run out to is actually Johnny Todd, a song and tune probably originating in Liverpool. I'm not sure if it pre-dates Everton but it is almost certainly older than GOSBTS. Now I'm starting to feel like a mine of useless information......!!

Watford run out to it too for some very strange reason.

I can understand Everton, because of course Z Cars was set in the fictional town of Newtown, supposedly a suburb of Liverpool.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
More importantly, how many teams can you think of, barring ourselves and Newcastle, who have a place-specific anthem ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sussex-By-The-Sea is a proud chest puffing anthem. It'll be even better when folk eventually start singing the proper words.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This has certainly been sung at Newcastle United for many, many years - and certainly a lot longer than anything similar has been sung down our way.

Oh me lads, you should've seen us gannin'
Passing the folks alang the road
just as they were stannin'
Aal the lads and lasses there
aal wi' smilin' faces
Gannin alang the Scotswood Road
To see the Blaydon Races

A song that is dear to my heart, since one of my grandads lived in Scotswood Road and the other lived in Blaydon.

Going along Old Shoreham Road..

To see the Brighton Aces.

It was quite amusing to see the bewildered grimy faces in Boro at "the" match last term when all the Brighton fans started belting out their Newcastle nadirs old classic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here