Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion U21s to take part in the EFL Trophy (Formerly JPT)?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Seems like a possibility that our U21 squad may be invited to take part in this years English Football League Trophy (formerly the Johnstone's Paint Trophy).

I'm torn, I'm not a fan of authorities constantly messing around with competition formats, but at the same time I'd look forward to watching our youngsters in these matches.

The competition was due to be expanded as a trial this season to include not just the 48 clubs from League One and League Two but 16 additional “invited clubs”, entering their academy teams. Fifteen of those clubs were to come from the Premier League, with Newcastle United filling the final slot.

But of the original list of clubs invited, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have declined the invitation. Question marks remain over the involvement of Liverpool because of concerns over the availability of Anfield, and Manchester United are also thought to be against taking part.

It is expected that the EFL will now invite Championship clubs with category one academies instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/new-efl-trophy-premier-league-academy-teams-fans

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7502688 said:
Seems like a possibility that our U21 squad may be invited to take part in this years English Football League Trophy (formerly the Johnstone's Paint Trophy).

I'm torn, I'm not a fan of authorities constantly messing around with competition formats, but at the same time I'd look forward to watching our youngsters in these matches.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/new-efl-trophy-premier-league-academy-teams-fans

So instead of Utd and Liverpool U21s, League 2 teams get Brighton Under 21s. That'll bring the crowds in.

Agree it would be good experience but a stupid idea has just become a farce.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would be good experience for the U21s and interesting to watch at the Amex, but probably not great for the competition and will possibly be binned after a year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I rather like the sound of this. If the games are played at the Amex I may try and get to a few. It would be good to get aquainted with some of the youngsters, and see how they perform against League One and League Two opposition.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tbh I would hope we would decline any invite.
The original idea of including Premier League "B" sides in lower tier competitions was mooted on grounds of improving the chances of young English talent coming through. Except everyone knew that even at junior levels most EPL sides are dominated by overseas players.

Let lower league sides have a competition in which they can hope for progression and a day in the spotlight. It rewards the fans and keeps grassroots football alive

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
TBH - we were rubbish last year and will probably be the last to be asked as there are a few Championship sides with Category One Academies.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Didn't we finish second bottom of the second division? In which case even if the the big six Premier League sides decline, there would still be 14 teams ahead of us to be invited if they base it on quality

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a shit idea.

How does it benefit anyone?

Most of the u21 sides would beat the league clubs, especially as it's not just u21 players allowed.

Ruin lower league players chances of a day at Wembley.

As a side, the bigger sides have pulled out, did they even talk to the PL clubs?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Do you follow the U21 league closely? I would surprised if many of the U21 sides beat the L1/2 sides.

There are no Emergency Loans allowed now. That means we need to have an internal squad to cover injuries to first team squad. I don't want to see young lads get lumps kicked out of them by big bruiser defenders who can't keep pace with them in a tournament which means nothing until it gets to the Final.

This is just sponsors looking to get big names involved

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I quite like the idea. My one reservation is that I wouldn't want the finals all to be ManU U21s, Chelsea U21, Arse U21s, etc, etc, excluding L1 and L2 clubs from the chance of a Wembley final. So, as long as it IS a trial (which can be discontinued if it doesn't go well) I'm OK with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This where it starts then soon you'll have premiership B teams playing in The Championship like they do in Spain!

It's a no from me.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The U21s have their own league and cup games. A lot of clubs invited to field their U21 teams, have declined the 'offer'. I hope the Albion do the same.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I always find it a contrast when you examine the enthusiasm shown by the FA, FL and PL clubs for the development of youth in comparison to their eagerness to shell out millions and millions for ordinary footballers like James Collins.

Not meant as a pop at Palace, just a general observation. Particularly in the context of England's performance at Euro 16 (and Brazil 14, and every other tournament since 1996).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here